Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-17-2007, 10:04 AM

Default Rem. Model 660 Help

Just aquired an old Rem. model 660 and I can't figure out how to remove the bolt. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-17-2007, 10:14 AM
sheephunter

Not sure about that model but with some it's simply a matter of keeping the trigger squeezed with the safety off while you pull the bolt back...

Something you should know about the 660...
http://www.remington.com/safety/safe..._600_&_660.asp
Old 11-17-2007, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the info Sheephunter, already tried the trigger method and was a no go. Appreciate the heads up on the safety issue. I'll have it checked out.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:24 PM
700TI

The 700's have a button ahead of the trigger. I don't know about the 660.

Last edited by 700TI; 11-17-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:18 PM

Default 660 bolt

Looking at the rifle from the rear....pull bolt part way back, get a knife blade or slim screw driver and depress the bolt release that is on the left hand bolt race...between the bolt and the receiver wall. If you look close you will see a tiny bit of metal in there, just poke it down and pull the bolt out. It's in a similar position to a Winchester Md 70, except inside the bolt race.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
Looking at the rifle from the rear....pull bolt part way back, get a knife blade or slim screw driver and depress the bolt release that is on the left hand bolt race...between the bolt and the receiver wall. If you look close you will see a tiny bit of metal in there, just poke it down and pull the bolt out. It's in a similar position to a Winchester Md 70, except inside the bolt race.
Yup, some rifles are a POS to do anything with but shoot, and the 660 is one.
I like them, but they have sone quirks about them that I do not like, that is one of them.
The trigger gaurd is another.
The M37 Remington "Rangemaster" 22 is another rifle that has a weird bolt release.
You have to pull the trigger and take a small punch, pushing it inot a hole just in front of the magazine!
Cat
Old 11-18-2007, 07:36 AM

Blackwater is right. You almost need 3 hands to pull the bolt. One to hold the rifle, one to pull the bolt, and a third to depress the lever on the left side of the bolt inside the rear of the action. It does get easier with practice.

Cat, one other thing that I never cared about the 600 or 660, was that they were quite heavy for such a compact carbine. They can be very accurate though.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:35 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
Blackwater is right. You almost need 3 hands to pull the bolt. One to hold the rifle, one to pull the bolt, and a third to depress the lever on the left side of the bolt inside the rear of the action. It does get easier with practice.

Cat, one other thing that I never cared about the 600 or 660, was that they were quite heavy for such a compact carbine. They can be very accurate though.
I shot a 600 in 350 Rem Mag believe me it needed to be heavy....jack
Old 11-18-2007, 04:14 PM

Default 660

Some of those Remingtons...either the 600 or 660 had a recall on them. It was safety related. With mine, i was at the range, put in a shell and thought that i would put on the safety or take the safety off... anyway, the darn this went off. I was pointhing down range so I was thankful for that. I did some checking and mine was one on a recall. Check the internet for more info
Old 11-18-2007, 07:45 PM
sheephunter

Check the link I posted above city.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:01 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. Darn strange place for a bolt release. Anyway other than that and the cheap plastic floorplate/trigger guard, as cat mentioned, it's a nice little rifle. I'll certainly have the safety problem looked at. Once again thanks.