Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-15-2007, 06:37 PM

Default versatility of Win. model 1300 pump 12ga. ?

correction: it is a model 1200, not a 1300.

Hello. Am new to this forum, and live in S.E. BC. My current hobby involves SB silhouette matches (in Lethbridge 1x), and smallish HP paper and steel matches out to 345 yds.

Am posting this here as I noticed several of you hunt upland and migratory birds.

A friend is giving me a 30+ year old Ranger model 1200, 30" full-choked (no vent rib) front bead sighted barrel, 3" chamber, pump shotgun. This 12 gauge is in good condition and the barrel looks fine, action is smooth. I am really looking forward to patterning it, which will prolly happen this weekend.

I have turkeys in mind, but am also partial to clays. Your input as to barrel versatility in a 30+ year old model 1200 pump would be much appreciated:

- Would you guys agree this will make a good turkey gun, as it now stands?

- Do you know if spare barrels are still readily available for the older Model 1200s ? Am thinking of a short slug barrel with sights, or better yet, a 26" or 28" ribbed barrel with some sort of multiple choke tube setup to increase versatility?

Last edited by twofifty; 11-15-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Banned

Default 1300

Well, I've had a model 1300xtr with a 28" VR barrel with winchoke for about 20yrs now (damn I'm getting old) and I like it a lot. Having said that a 30" full choke barrel is likely not ideal for turkey hunting (I've never turkey hunted but from what I understand a shorter easier to swing barrell is preferred). It would be a good waterfowl gun but that is about it. I think the 30" tube would be OK for turkey hunting just not ideal. As far as clays go the full choke would likely be a hindrance.

I've tried locating spare barrels for my 1300 like a shorter 24" barrel or a rifled barrell but they are hard to come by these days.

My advice would be to look at a Remington express 870 or a mossberg 500. They are cheap, reliable, and it will be a long time before it is hard to find parts for them.

But, hey a free 1300 is still a good deal. And who knows, you might just find a barrel for it somewhere.

Just my2cents.

Last edited by rugatika; 11-15-2007 at 08:09 PM. Reason: adding
Old 11-15-2007, 09:51 PM
sheephunter

Ya...fixed full choke guns are a dying breed and do limit their praticalility. I still laugh at the gun shows when guys are trying to get near full new price out of an old fixed full choke pump but free is a fair price. I prefer something shorter for turkey however.....
Old 11-18-2007, 12:46 AM

Thanks for your comments.

Pattern report - shots aimed at a 30" circle on wide backing:

At 30 yds it clearly throws 85% of a trap load (No.7 1/2) right of centre and down a bit. Walk up to the target and the dense clustering jumps out at you: at 30yds nothing can fly or jump through the right side of aimpoint, but huge gaps to the left. Same right cluster with cheap No. 6 rabbit load.

From 40yds, high wall No.2s express and No.6 rabbit loads are skewed right as well, with fair to increasingly poor coverage left of centre.

I might yet make a turkey gun out of it (hold left of it's head). First will fully check the barrel for straightness.

If not a turkey gun, then a multi-tasker with a Poly-Choke and the barrel shortened to 24" or 26" - for brush, clays, and wingshots.

Ideas?

BTW, this is a Ranger Model 120 rather than a model 1300 or 1200.