Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-14-2007, 12:44 PM

Default 6.5x284

I am wanting to build a 6.5x284 does anybody know of a good gunsmith I can go and talk to? Or somewhere to get one of these rifles.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:13 PM

After some deliberation, I recently shipped two Sako actions to Hart Rifle Barrels in New York. The L579 will be fitted with a 26" Sporter Magnum contour chambered for 6mm/284. The L61R will be barreled the same but in 7RM. Both will have the action and barrel teflon coated. Hart hand laps the barrels and the lugs plus squares the actions. The barreled actions will then be shipped to Harry Lawson in Arizona. He'll fit them both in 4 Fancy French Walnut Cochise Thumbholes free floated, glassed, pillar bedded, checkered, etc.

For a simple rebarrel job performed locally, Ron Smith barrels do shoot well. I had a 6mm wildcat on a Sako action dropped back into its Sako Hunter factory stock which grouped 1.5" at 300 yds. Ron Smith is a proponent of gaintwist barrels.

How far you want to take the building of a rifle is limited only by imagination and money. Hope this helps.

Bobby B.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:18 PM
sheephunter

What kind of paperwork was involved in doing that Bobby. I always figured it would be a huge headache shipping guns down there for work and then getting them shipped back.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:57 PM

sheephunter, I don't have the pertinent paperwork at hand, but from what I recall, the procedure isn't all that complicated. Phone Canada Customs 1 800 461 9999. Do not take this as legal advice but including your PAL and the registration along with receipts throughout each stage of the process is the gist of it. The Customs Officer stated that CC was more interested in securing taxes than anything else.

Bobby B.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:02 PM
sheephunter

You didn't have to do anything to get it into and out of the U.S.? Canada seems easy to deal with these days compared to getting guns in and out of the U.S. I tried to research this with the ATF once and just couldn't seem to get it figured out. As long as you have a PAL....the Canadians seem happy but the U.S. side isn't happy about letting them in and even more unhappy about letting them out. Just wondered how you got around all that.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:03 PM

sheephunter,

In my particular case, my correspondence with Hart Rifle Barrels was with Karen Hart via e-mails. Never was there any reluctance on her part to receive the actions or to ship them back once rebarreled or to forward them elsewhere. For more detailed info simply e-mail Karen, the address is on their website.

What is the nature of the work you're considering being performed or are you merely interested in gaining greater knowledge of what's entailed?

Bobby B.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:10 PM
sheephunter

I've got an old .264mag pre'64 model 70 and a gunsmith I know in the U.S. offered to rebarrel it for me and do some work on it but I couldn't figure out how to get it there and back as far as the U.S. Government/ATF were concerned. I basically came to the conclusion that it was impossible and just abandoned the idea. It was interesting to hear that you did it. I hope there aren't any issues with getting your guns shipped back.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:44 PM

It's not impossible, just make sure that the company you are dealing with has the appropriate export permits from the US state dept. I have a scope that happens to be in use by the US military. When it was sent down for repairs I had to do some paperwork declaring when it was purchased and where from etc. That was for them to release it back to me.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:25 AM

Paul reibin ( RangeSports Unlimited) in Kamloops has built 5 rifles up here for us in 6.5X284.
Hhe uses Ron's barrels, and his in cahoots with Mick McOhee also.
Both are top notch gun builders , and Paul's ifles have won many championships.
If you ask him for a number 3 barrel and a .003" neck, that is EXACTLY what you will get!
His work is perfect, be it on a bolt action repeater or a single shot falling block.
He has done 7 rebarel jobs for me , as well as doing complicated set trigger installs in many of our single shot rifles.
Here are some examples of his work

All of these rifles are super accurate, and have proven themselves on the range, ( two have also been hunted)

My frends have rifles on signle shots ( very hard to get accurate as opposed to bolt actions) that will shoot less than 1/2" at 100 yards on their hunting rifles.
They include Ruger No,1's in 6.5X284, 308, 300SAUM, .280AI, 6.5WSM and a few others that escape me at the moment.
The 6.5WSM and the 300WSM in the pics have shot less than 6" many times at 1,000 yards, and the little 6.5X284 with the fluted barrel will shot 1/2" at 100 yards most days of the week.
The 300's that he built have McPhee barrels on them , but he uses Ron Smith's barrels on most.

His turnaround time is also VERY fast.
Like I said , he can build a lightweight hunter or a fullblown match rifle.
David Henry olso builds some fine rifles , he is located in bentley Alberta.
sulljr has a 6.5WSM on a Ruger No.1 action by him, and it is a very accurate rifle.

Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 11-15-2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:14 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
It's not impossible, just make sure that the company you are dealing with has the appropriate export permits from the US state dept. I have a scope that happens to be in use by the US military. When it was sent down for repairs I had to do some paperwork declaring when it was purchased and where from etc. That was for them to release it back to me.

Ya, scopes I got figured out but rifles are different from what I can gather from the ATF....it's not as simple as the company having an export permit. With scopes, you can actually do the paperwork here to send along with it but I don't think it works that way with rifles. Maybe but I wish someone that had actually done it, and got the rifle back, could tell me their story. And everyone thinks Canadian gun laws are confusing...ugh!