Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
That’s my point, even thought I understand it to be illegal, I can’t find the statute that says that it is.
The statute is in the Wildlife Act - 33 1 (d)
https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/st...AAAAQ&offset=0

Now, an argument could be made regarding the wording.
The statute is under a section titled
"Part 4
Hunting and Related Activities
General Rules for Hunting"

A person could try to convince a judge that target shooting in reference to the Wildlife Act is NOT a related activity to Hunting. A good lawyer might even be able to win this case, especially as there are current exemptions to the regulation.

Then the government would amend legislation to make it illegal.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-23-2019, 09:56 AM

It's a no go, Chef.

Here is your huckleberry. It fits in the back of a trunk

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/98522...bench-with-bag
Old 06-23-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
I’d go out on a limb here and say everyone on this forum has done something illegal at one point!
You’re safe on that limb. EVERYONE has. Momentarily or more. It has happened.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
You’re safe on that limb. EVERYONE has. Momentarily or more. It has happened.
That's for damn sure!

Funny how forums turn people into angels
Old 06-23-2019, 10:44 AM

Smile It is there

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
The Firearms Act... Supposed to cover all Provinces.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/f-11.6/

It does cover all the provinces. Go to the link you posted, scroll to the bottom of the page, you will see a link titled: Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations (SOR/98-209)
Read through this document and you will find:
Quote:
Handling of Firearms

15 An individual may load a firearm or handle a loaded firearm only in a place where the firearm may be discharged in accordance with all applicable Acts of Parliament and of the legislature of a province, regulations made under such Acts, and municipal by-laws.
You're welcome.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 06-23-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
It does cover all the provinces. Go to the link you posted, scroll to the bottom of the page, you will see a link titled: Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations (SOR/98-209)
Read through this document and you will find:

You're welcome.
Yes, that’s the only reference I could find. So it begs the question, what are the provincial regulations as pertains to target shooting? I’ve been digging around a lot and other than the wildlife act I can’t find any mention of these rules that we all follow.

Shooting along or across the road, shooting within proximity to buildings etc.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:20 AM

I once had to repair a guys hood that had about a 4" tear from his riffle accidentally going off early. I guess thankfully it was me fixing his hood and not a doctor fixing a 4" hole in his friend.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Yes, that’s the only reference I could find. So it begs the question, what are the provincial regulations as pertains to target shooting? I’ve been digging around a lot and other than the wildlife act I can’t find any mention of these rules that we all follow.

There is no specific set of regulations for target shooting, but target shooting does not exempt you from any of the other Acts, including the Wildlife Act.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I once had to repair a guys hood that had about a 4" tear from his riffle accidentally going off early. I guess thankfully it was me fixing his hood and not a doctor fixing a 4" hole in his friend.
I can definately suggest NOT to shoot a muzzleloader off a hood, mentioning it for a friend
Old 06-23-2019, 11:37 AM

Question redundant regulations

Quote:

That is because the regulations in the Alberta Wildlife Act already addresses these questions/issues. There is not another document full of redundant regulations.
Which is a bit of an anomaly in this day and age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win
Well, in the old days people called the local station and asked or in today's age we use the Google.
IME- I would not put much faith in a verbal response from a LEO in regards to a technical firearms question. They are as biased and confused as the general population.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 06-23-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

So without a "Sport Shooting Act" how do you know that you you can't legally go out and target shoot on private property without permission ?
Because common sense... I guess you lack it.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
There is no specific set of regulations for target shooting, but target shooting does not exempt you from any of the other Acts, including the Wildlife Act.
Get over yourself... Give your head a shake, step down off that high-horse and think about it without using your ego.

I highly doubt any newly licensed firearms owner is gonna search the Hunting Reg's for "shooting laws", unless they have some prior knowledge or acre actually interested in hunting too.

Why would they, THEY AREN'T HUNTING !!!

Old 06-23-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Just thinking aloud, but I wonder if the law was to have a distinct target shooting and hunting regulation specific to shooting from a vehicle if it would be too fuzzy to enforce and open the door to some sketchy interpretations - " but officer, I was just sighting in my rifle". It seems to me that with the transport regulations and the wildlife act it would be pretty hard to argue shooting out of the bed of a truck or off the hood target shooting.

Matt
Old 06-23-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I highly doubt any newly licensed firearms owner is gonna search the Hunting Reg's for "shooting laws", unless they have some prior knowledge or acre hunting too.
You can think that, and it may be true, but that doesn't make it legal.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Because common sense... I guess you lack it.

I had the sense to learn the Wildlife Act, the Petty Trespass Act, and the municipal bylaws, which is what anyone that wants to shoot anywhere but at a range should do. I also made it a point to learn the Alberta regulations, when I moved here from another province almost 40 years ago.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:20 PM

The government makes laws

The public is expected to know them

That’s where the phrase “Ignorance of the law is no excuse “ came from

Kinda like the Charter of Rights. Most people have no idea. Because they are busy working and taking care of others and living life.

But those laws are still there regardless
Old 06-23-2019, 04:49 PM

The hood of a truck is a useless place to try and shoot off anyhow. Shocks, springs, and grown men leaning does not make for a stable platform. However, I would wager money that a good chuck of rifles are sighted using this very practice. In the old days people used empty beer cases. No doubt about it.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:44 PM

^^^ X's 7.5 & 3/4's...

Same for shooting off of a horse that's never been shot off of before...

Very unstable platform fore sure.

👍
Old 06-23-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Get over yourself... Give your head a shake, step down off that high-horse and think about it without using your ego.

I highly doubt any newly licensed firearms owner is gonna search the Hunting Reg's for "shooting laws", unless they have some prior knowledge or acre actually interested in hunting too.

Elk is right, you are wrong..... and I don't say that very often because he hates the Oilers!

The provincial regulations in regards to the discharge of firearms are contained within the wildlife act. Further restrictions are usually contained within municipal and city bylaws. So if a person wants to discharge a firearm within the province of Alberta for hunting or target purposes they better know the wildlife act and the bylaws.

Examples,

The regulation within the wildlife act which restricts the discharge of firearm to a 1/2 hour before sunrise to a 1/2 hour after sunset also applies to outdoor shooting ranges. (indoor are exempt). Also the 183 meter rule found in the wildlife act also applies to any type of discharge of a firearm, hunting or target shooting.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:25 PM
Banned

So is it a big fine for shooting on or in a vehicle? Most guys on farms are driving around shooting gophers I have seen from the back of trucks and out a window. It this a huge fine if caught?
Old 06-24-2019, 06:00 PM

The Criminal Code charge would be 86(2) for transporting a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle. Even it is parked, it works like the Impaired driving laws, where if the vehicle can be operated then is applies.

So where it wouldn't apply would be if you are using the rust out truck with no engine as a hunting blind.

So since it is criminal code and a dual procedure offence, the penalty could include jail time, fine, and/or licence suspension.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
The Criminal Code charge would be 86(2) for transporting a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle. Even it is parked, it works like the Impaired driving laws, where if the vehicle can be operated then is applies.

So where it wouldn't apply would be if you are using the rust out truck with no engine as a hunting blind.

So since it is criminal code and a dual procedure offence, the penalty could include jail time, fine, and/or licence suspension.
What if the person with the loaded firearm is not the driver, and he doesn't have the keys? Then he would not be in "care and control of the motor vehicle". In the case of impaired people in a motor vehicle, as long as the driver isn't impaired, there is no impaired charge.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:37 PM

[
Old 06-24-2019, 06:41 PM

We shot likely a hundred thousand rounds of .22 and otherwise at gophers out in fields over the years before we found out it was illegal. Who hasnt?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-24-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
We shot likely a hundred thousand rounds of .22 and otherwise at gophers out in fields over the years before we found out it was illegal. Who hasnt?
Bingo
Old 06-24-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:

Weird thing to say. A newly licensed firearms owner would have taken a firearms safety course (otherwise, he/she would be an unlicensed firearms owner) where they talk about it. I know because I took one a few years ago. It is also in the book they give you when you take the course. I also asked the instructor if a quad is considered to be a vehicle because I saw people shooting grouse right off their quads on a few occasions prior to that. You don’t need to be hunter, but you have to take the course in order to legally buy a firearm. The course is not perfect but they surely cover this part and I clearly remember it. Again, the course is not a requirement for a hunter, but is a for those who want to become a firearm(s) owner.

Yes, people break this law because they don’t know and others because they do but don’t care or think they would not get caught. The majority, obviously, does not get caught. Some learn as they go. I know a guy whose windshield cracked pretty badly when he fired a shot at an elk. He missed the elk, but was out $300-400 at least to replace the windshield.

On a side note, I know a guy who thought that you are alowed to hunt only half an hour before sunrise and half an hour after sunset. He spent his whole first season hunting this way. He then tried to convince me he was right and I was wrong when I told him that he can hunt in between those hours too.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
What if the person with the loaded firearm is not the driver, and he doesn't have the keys? Then he would not be in "care and control of the motor vehicle". In the case of impaired people in a motor vehicle, as long as the driver isn't impaired, there is no impaired charge.
The comparison is not the care and control part, I was referring to the vehicle being able to operate.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Weird thing to say. A newly licensed firearms owner would have taken a firearms safety course (otherwise, he/she would be an unlicensed firearms owner) where they talk about it. I know because I took one a few years ago. It is also in the book they give you when you take the course. I also asked the instructor if a quad is considered to be a vehicle because I saw people shooting grouse right off their quads on a few occasions prior to that. You don’t need to be hunter, but you have to take the course in order to legally buy a firearm. The course is not perfect but they surely cover this part and I clearly remember it. Again, the course is not a requirement for a hunter, but is a for those who want to become a firearm(s) owner.

Yes, people break this law because they don’t know and others because they do but don’t care or think they would not get caught. The majority, obviously, does not get caught. Some learn as they go. I know a guy whose windshield cracked pretty badly when he fired a shot at an elk. He missed the elk, but was out $300-400 at least to replace the windshield.

On a side note, I know a guy who thought that you are alowed to hunt only half an hour before sunrise and half an hour after sunset. He spent his whole first season hunting this way. He then tried to convince me he was right and I was wrong when I told him that he can hunt in between those hours too.
No , not all newly licensed firearms owners took a test. Some had POLs, and were given a PAL when the POL was phased out, some native people were exempted from the course or testing, and some people challenged tests with zero training, and some of the people giving the tests ,made certain that everyone passed. As for the course, most people took it for one reason, just to get a PAL, and they have forgotten most of what was on the test. And when it comes right down to it, the tests asked very little about the legislation, so you could pass the test, while not knowing many of the regulations. When it comes down to it, the only people that know the regulations, are the people that were interested enough to make the effort to learn the regulations. And you are correct, some people simply don't care about the regulations, even if they do know them.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
10-4, and if i'm not stepping on anyones toes, will continue to do so. Lotta angels here, I'm not one of em
Old 06-25-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gade81 View Post
10-4, and if i'm not stepping on anyones toes, will continue to do so. Lotta angels here, I'm not one of em
I just can't do it anymore. When my kids came of age, and things were swinging to enforcement more and more along with knowledge and increased regulations, it was well past time to show them the right thing to do. It is the same reason I stop at red lights and signs, obey all the traffic laws, even the ones I do not agree with, like 30kph on a sunday afternoon in the middle of nowhere when the workers are obviously not there. Might be a LEO over the hill waiting, sorry but I will not be paying tickets. Agree or not, I grew up I guess is the only way to say it.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....