Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-07-2012, 06:00 PM

Default New Sako A7-Not what I expected.

Hey guys just trying to get some feedback on here if anyone else maybe has the same problems. I just purchased a new Sako A7 Package (A7 - Rings -Mounting Hardware - Burris 3 x 9 x 40) from wholesale sports in Edmonton.

So...

Took it out to the range today, tried to sight it in at 38 Yards as ballistics program recommended.,- First 4 shots landed right on top of each other, then I couldn't get a 1" group for the life of me. My buddy figures the scope might be moving but I re-tightened the rings and same problem. Never even made it out to the 100 yard mark, And the gun is supposed to be guaranteed to shoot 1" groups at 100. Surely I should have been able to do it at 38. Not very happy.

Out of the 40 rounds I fired not one ejected clear. Every single round either didn't spring out or hit the scope and fell right back into the bolt channel. Since this is a gun scope rings package I would assume they would have encountered this before?

I did a lot of shopping around before I landed on the Sako A7 package, and figured this would be the a great starter gun package. I am not feeling that way right now.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
First 4 shots landed right on top of each other, then I couldn't get a 1" group for the life of me.
That in itself would lead me to believe that either the scope crapped out, or that something came loose. I would check the torque on the action screws, and then recheck the scope mounts. If still no luck, I would try another scope.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:12 PM

did you try different brands of ammo? Mine isnt the package I have a leupold on it but it shoots 1/2" groups at 100yds and puts 5 in a 3'' circle at 300yds. Try multiple brands types and weights of ammo and try another scope. and if it dont shoot take it back sako guarantees them so return it.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:13 PM

I have two A 7's. Both can shoot 1/4" groups at 100 yds.

Im betting you have a scope problem, not a rifle problem.

I hope u can find another quality scope to test your rifle with.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
did you try different brands of ammo? Mine isnt the package I have a leupold on it but it shoots 1/2" groups at 100yds and puts 5 in a 3'' circle at 300yds. Try multiple brands types and weights of ammo and try another scope. and if it dont shoot take it back sako guarantees them so return it.
I was using "Fusion" ammo. would different ammo really make a difference at 38 yards?
Old 11-07-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I have two A 7's. Both can shoot 1/4" groups at 100 yds.

Im betting you have a scope problem, not a rifle problem.

I hope u can find another quality scope to test your rifle with.
Does your a7 eject the empty cartridges?
Old 11-07-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I was using "Fusion" ammo. would different ammo really make a difference at 38 yards?
If the first four rounds landed one on top of each other, the last thing that I would suspect would be the ammunition.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:28 PM

Scope is most likely pooched. Take it back and have them put a new one on and give you a box of ammo for your hassles. BTW, Elk is right, it ain't the ammo. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:29 PM

can't see the scope causing the shells not to eject, maybe the barrel is stamped wrong for caliber or just a bad batch of ammo? as far as the burris goes, i use the same thing (fullfield 2?) on my 300 win mag, and i know they will sit on a 375H&H without any trouble. did you clean the barrel before going out, or did you just start shooting?
Old 11-07-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
maybe the barrel is stamped wrong for caliber
You would have known that pretty quick, once you fired the gun, and it is very unlikely that the first four rounds would have landed one on top of the other, if that was the case.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:49 PM

Take it back

Steve In GP

Old 11-07-2012, 06:53 PM

Default Sako A7

A co-worker of mine purchased an A7 IN 7MM REM. MAG. and it started sliding in the rings after about 10 shots. At least that's when we noticed it. We took it back and they did it over and next time out it produced 1/2 inch groups. I have since purchased one myself and it also will produce 1/2 inch groups if I do my part. Quite impressed with this outfit!
Something has to be wrong, probably the scope mounting job!
Old 11-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Banned

I found that the 300 wm a7 plastic mags limit the oal for reloads and handcuff your reloading abilities. Probably the same for most long action a7's...
Sure like the triggers and the stock though. The Burris mounts and scope could be improved upon.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:05 PM
sheephunter

You haven't got a ring overhanging the ejection port do you?
Old 11-07-2012, 07:09 PM

My boss has the sako a7 package in 308. He can't get better than a six inch group at 100 yards has checked the mounts and there good he bought some different kinds of ammo but hasn't shot it with the new ammo yet.this just proves that it isn't the first time it happened
Old 11-07-2012, 07:12 PM

No there doesn't appear to be a ring over the ejection port. It appears as if the side turret is in the way.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 PM

Check the scope to see if there any marks on it where it may be moving back and forth in the rings.

I saw a fellow at the range last summer with a brand new A7. Shot like a house on fire, then went all to crap. He checked the scope and sure enough the rings were not tight. Had no key to tighten them up, so back to WSS he went.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:35 PM

That's got to be disappointing! Don't waste any time going back to WSS; let them sort it out.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:03 PM

I have the same package in 270win. It was fussy about bullet weights, but came up with a load that worked great. I have no ejection issues, something wrong there.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remstar View Post
Does your a7 eject the empty cartridges?
Flawlessly. I have a Leupold vxII 3x9x40 in Talleys on it.

Actually, neither rifle has misfed or not ejected a shell properly
Old 11-07-2012, 08:15 PM

I don't know why. But I allowed WSS to install some scopes for me on some 22s.

I think a monkey could have done a better job.

If I were in your position (and I was) I would go to cabelas and buy thei scope mounting kit that comes with the alignment bars, lapping bar and compound, and torque driver. Then I would buy the wheeler lever kit. Not the cheap one but the brass one where one of the levels clips onto the barrel.

Get some lock-tite.

Remove scope, rings bases.

Re-install at correct torques, leveling correctly, lap the ring lightly as needed.

Finally, use that torque driver to tighten action screws to spec and recheck after a few shots.

If this fails, is the barrel making contact at any point in the channel as it heats up?

Do you have a know good scope you could test on the rifle?

If there is a real problem with the rifle, you are going to wish you had bought it at cabelas!

I'm in the edmonton area and may be able to help you if you wish? I assume you zeroed at Phoenix at that distance?

By the way, have you examined the extractor and ejector? Does there appear to be any issues? Is this just a case of horrible mounting of the scope interfering with the ejection?

I have a few 'know good' scopes sitting around that you could borrow if you wish.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:45 PM

I would try another scope to eliminate or identify it as a source of trouble.
Regardless, the rings should be lapped in. I have a lapping tool you're welcome to borrow. Maybe even another scope to try. I'm in Edmonton.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:46 PM

Thanks for the tips savage.

I just don't personally feel at this point I should have to buy a hole new ring mounting kit and go through the proccess of spending more money, I mean the thin is just over 24 hrs new to me and I am already having to spend more money to get it to work properly??? I think I am going to take it back and get them to at least deal with the ejector. I suppose if **** really rolls down hill I will have to buy a new scope, I just don't want to start there.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remstar View Post
Thanks for the tips savage.

I just don't personally feel at this point I should have to buy a hole new ring mounting kit and go through the proccess of spending more money, I mean the thin is just over 24 hrs new to me and I am already having to spend more money to get it to work properly??? I think I am going to take it back and get them to at least deal with the ejector. I suppose if **** really rolls down hill I will have to buy a new scope, I just don't want to start there.
True. Logically if you buy something, you have the reasonable expectation that it works.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:01 PM

If I don't work the action a little more aggressively on my 85 it doesn't eject properly. It is usually fails when I go slow and catch my brass. I was a little surprised by that. My old model 70 works no mater what.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:03 PM

Unfortunately, in Alberta we simply don't have the same consumer protection laws as some other provinces.

Good luck with WSS. I mean that sincerely but also somewhat sarcastically.

You'll see what I mean when you get there.

By the way, Cabela's offers a 30 day exchange on all defective firearms.

WSS offers...well, you'll see
Old 11-07-2012, 09:07 PM

I was at the range with a coworker and his friend had a new sako a7 in 270 wsm and it wasn't ejecting the rounds either, just as you described. We all played with it and there was a definite fault in the ejector.

If you return the gun you will not get your money back because you fired it. I know this because my new tikka t3 had an issue with the magazine dropping and i tried to return it with no luck. I had to wait months for it to get repaired. Major pain in the ass. I hope you have different luck. My gun was bought a wholesale sports in Kamloops.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Banned

Default ----------------------

What caliber is your Sako A7?
Old 11-07-2012, 09:12 PM

Picked up the A7 in 7mm rem mag, talley mounts with Bushnell elite 3200 stainless scope. Never had a problem with ejecting cartridges. Very happy with the gun. Very good possibility of the scope mount not torqued up.
Don't give up on the A7 yet!
Old 11-07-2012, 09:58 PM

I have the A7 in 270WSM. Sighted in the other day.

Very happy with the groups that I got.

I took off the Burris that came with it and put on a Leupold VXR 4-12.