Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-27-2017, 06:44 PM

Default 3 1/2s in the Auto 5

I have a newer model 12 gauge Auto 5. Can I use 3 1/2" shells in It? I know it says with the full choke installed I can use 3" but says nothing about 3 1/2. I understand that they may not eject properly but will it hurt the barrel?
Old 04-27-2017, 06:47 PM

Does it specifically mention 3-1/2" on the barrel, or just 2-3/4" and 3"?
Old 04-27-2017, 06:51 PM

Default If it doesnt say it is chambered for 3.5 then dont

The shell may very well fit as the forcing cone in front is almost 1/2 inch to accomadate the 3 inch shell opening but with a 3.5 you are asking for a world of hurt with no forcing cone for the crimp to open and extreme pressure build up in chamber. If it doesn t specify 3.5 on the chamber or barrel don t do it!!
Old 04-27-2017, 07:23 PM

All this training we get, just to get our Firearms License, and I'm 100% sure shotgun chamber length is covered in the course.

I feel better knowing the bureaucracy and bs is working.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-27-2017, 09:15 PM

Do not shoot anything more than what is stated on the barrel It will be clearly marked .
Old 04-28-2017, 06:22 AM

The longer shell may fit, but it would be a really bad idea to fire it......
Old 04-28-2017, 08:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
The shell may very well fit as the forcing cone in front is almost 1/2 inch to accomadate the 3 inch shell opening but with a 3.5 you are asking for a world of hurt with no forcing cone for the crimp to open and extreme pressure build up in chamber. If it doesn t specify 3.5 on the chamber or barrel don t do it!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
Do not shoot anything more than what is stated on the barrel It will be clearly marked .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
The longer shell may fit, but it would be a really bad idea to fire it......
you guys have no sense of adventure whatsoever
Old 04-28-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
All this training we get, just to get our Firearms License, and I'm 100% sure shotgun chamber length is covered in the course.

I feel better knowing the bureaucracy and bs is working.

I thought the same thing. Buys a gun most people that know what they're doing would love to be able to afford, then asks a question like that. It is definitely 100% covered in the course. This is one of the reasons why we have to do the firearms course, to protect people from themselves. Smh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2017, 08:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww2269 View Post
I have a newer model 12 gauge Auto 5. Can I use 3 1/2" shells in It? I know it says with the full choke installed I can use 3" but says nothing about 3 1/2. I understand that they may not eject properly but will it hurt the barrel?
You are telling us it saying nothing about 3.5 inch, so that would mean you can not use 3.5 inch. Same thing goes for a rifle, that is marked 30-06. You can't use 308.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:18 AM

They only print what CAN be used on the barrel... if it's not there do not use it.

LC
Old 04-28-2017, 11:51 PM

I understand it's not recommended or maybe not safe. The reason for my asking the question is because I have a buddy that says he does it all the time so I wanted to clarify before I even entertained it. I haven't shot birds for years, just trap every couple years. I apreciate the honest and blunt answers from those who may have thought it was a dumb question. For the couple smart asses, you can kiss it. Been away from this site for a couple years and now I remember why. Audios!
Old 04-29-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww2269 View Post
I understand it's not recommended or maybe not safe. The reason for my asking the question is because I have a buddy that says he does it all the time so I wanted to clarify before I even entertained it. I haven't shot birds for years, just trap every couple years. I apreciate the honest and blunt answers from those who may have thought it was a dumb question. For the couple smart asses, you can kiss it. Been away from this site for a couple years and now I remember why. Audios!
I am not following all this. First off, you still haven't said if your barrel is stamped 3.5", if it is, there are no problems. If it isn't, your creating unsafe pressures in your barrel. If your buddy is doing it, you need to make him aware that he could do a lot of damage or hurt himself, and you sure don't want to be around him when he is firing that firearm. Even worse, he might get someone else to try it and hurt them. I don't think you put yourself in a very good position for responses if you leave the question a little vague.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:42 PM

They will fire however you risk the chance of damaging gun due to the crimped portion of the cartridge opening in the forcing cone and causing pressures the firearm is not designed to with stand.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:50 PM

I forgot to mention shotgun shell length is determined as the fired dimension