Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-21-2017, 12:20 PM

Default opinons on the best hunting bow please

If you had a couple of grand to up grade your hunting bow and arrows what would you buy? thanks for your insight
Old 04-21-2017, 12:51 PM

I personally would go in and shoot every bow possible if I had a couple grand and then I would choose which ever bow feels the best. As for arrows personally i shoot Easton full metal jackets with a bankroll like that it's basically personal preference and whatever feels best for yourself.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:52 PM

The one that fits me perfectly and have confidence in shooting. Sorry for vague response but until I tried them all I could not tell you. Its a personal thing.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:53 PM

I'd try out as many as I could get my hands on, regardless of brand. Then I'd buy the one that fits me and puts an arrow through the same hole as the previous arrow. Wouldn't care if it cost $2000 or $200; those are my requirements.

Plain and simple.

But then again, my current bow brand and model is tough as nails and shoots the lights out with every arrow; it's just the nimrod holding it that needs to get better....

J.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:42 PM

make sure you try as many different ones as you can ... you will feel a difference in draw cycle pick the one you like and feel comfortable ....the more comfortable you are the more consistent your shooting will be...
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 04-21-2017, 05:16 PM

I'd make an appointment to go visit Jack Kempf and get a custom two piece - oh waitaminit, already did that over 20 years ago!!
Cat
Old 04-21-2017, 05:51 PM

A&H archery makes the best bow as far as I'm concerned. I love mine and it's killed a few truckloads of animals.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:03 PM

The new Reign 7 that just showed up at my house is really impressive. At 72.5lbs draw it's easier to pull that my 65lbs Fanatic 1.0. It spits a 385gr arrow out at exactly 300fps at 70lbs, in the comfort setting.

LC
Old 04-22-2017, 06:33 AM

Hard to beat the Hoyt Carbon Defiant or the Pro Defiant. All of the slim arrows such as the Easton Axis and Victory VAP's are equally impressive.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The new Reign 7 that just showed up at my house is really impressive. At 72.5lbs draw it's easier to pull that my 65lbs Fanatic 1.0. It spits a 385gr arrow out at exactly 300fps at 70lbs, in the comfort setting.

LC
I shot the Reign 7 at Jim Bows in Edmonton. It was a very nice shooting bow...and I am Hoyt guy.

Didn't love the grip, are there other grip options or suggestions (pro tips) to customize or modify the grip?
Old 04-22-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
I shot the Reign 7 at Jim Bows in Edmonton. It was a very nice shooting bow...and I am Hoyt guy.

Didn't love the grip, are there other grip options or suggestions (pro tips) to customize or modify the grip?
I like the grip personally, it's a classic "Bowtech" grip. Similar to the Invasion and Experience. There is a product out that you can mold a rubberized compound that hardens to your liking but I forget the name. There is a couple places that make after market grips for different manufacturers bows.

LC
Old 04-22-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prdtrgttr View Post
Hard to beat the Hoyt Carbon Defiant or the Pro Defiant. All of the slim arrows such as the Easton Axis and Victory VAP's are equally impressive.
X2. Although I am not really sold 100% on the slim arrow thing. I am going to use VAP elites for outdoor 3d this year, but the old faithful 7595 gold tip pro hunters will get the nod again for this season.

I think people should worry less about the designer flavor of their arrows and pay more attention to maintaining their set up for good arrow flight and to their accessories to get stuff that works for them.

Jmo

Norm
Old 04-22-2017, 08:57 AM

Default Shoot them

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo mulcher View Post
If you had a couple of grand to up grade your hunting bow and arrows what would you buy? thanks for your insight
I recently (over the last 3 months) shot all the flagship bows I could get my hands on and there are definitely some nice bows out there. My opinion is to get out there and shoot them and the bow will find you. With that said, in the end I went with the Reign for several reasons including feel, speed and adjustability.

Do yourself a favour and go shoot some bows. Take the time needed to go to places like Jim Bows, Accurate, OC etc and shoot their bows. The staff is awesome and always willing to give you their time.

More
Old 04-22-2017, 09:26 AM

Sugru is the material

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qFIq0-Qde3k

LC
Old 04-26-2017, 08:43 AM

Thanks for all your input, I will go and try some bows out . Its like an ice-cream store what flavour best try them all.
Thanks again to all , I will see if I can try out the major brands to start with.