Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-11-2017, 10:07 PM

Default Where to fish with small boat

HI there,

New to boating/fishing and was wondering where everyone takes there small boats for fishing.

I have a small 12ft with 6hp outboard....

In Calgary btw.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2017, 10:20 AM

you will see 12FT. at most lakes and reservoirs in the south.

Just be mindful of the wind, and always keep your life jacket on. Best to stay clear of a few large lakes with big wind issues such as Ghost and Minnewanka

Good luck with your fishing this season
Old 04-12-2017, 10:27 AM

I've got the same setup I use it at gull lake buck lake pigeon all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2017, 03:41 PM
Banned

Default Dangerous

Very risky in bigger water. Almost lost it on Pinehurst back in 1986 with a boat like that.

Now only run 18 footers to 22 footers. Three different boats for different reasons.

Best for you to go to that small Trout lake just north of Burnstick lake. It has a lower valley, good access, and bays for shelter if winds come up.

It has great brook trout fishing.

It's called Birch lake and has three islands for nice shelter for you.

Easy to get to. Good roads. You have the advantage as you can drag your light boat down to the shore whereas others cannot. Not sure if small motors are allowed or not. If not distances are short so you can row. Bring insect repellent.

Best lake for you if your around Calgary. Southern Alberta just too windy. Very treed area and pretty. No bald prairie.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:20 PM

I use a 14 foot tinny with a 15hp on it, iv been on badger, crawling valley, spray, lower kanianskis, pine coulee, newell, pigeon as with any boat on the water watch for conditions if wind picks up head for launch asap stick close to shore....
Old 04-12-2017, 05:08 PM

You can go to any lake, just be aware of the weather, where you are and you & your motors ability. Panicking and freezing up in a nasty situation gets you in the drink. Always look around to see if there are bays to hide in? Shorelines you can get too that are in the least amount of wind before it happens. If things are brewing, you will see it long before it gets nasty. Can always go in before it gets bad and head out again.

I have been using dads 40 yr old Sears 12 ft alum with a 9.9 for almost as long. On Peerless & Graham, Pinehurst and many other lakes that get nasty. Have to use your head if you get caught in a stormy situation. Been scared a couple times but never even close to going down.

Pinehurst always seemed to catch us because we would go to the far bay from the campground. Rode out a few storms on the shore. Came back at dusk a few times too. Peerless Lake was probably the worst ever lake we were caught on.

Just have to keep the nose up and keep your head on a swivel. Speed helped sometimes, slower others depending on what your in. Only ever had 2 guys in the boat and we were a lot skinnier then so no over loading . Easy to keep the tinner up on the waves.

Last edited by Sooner; 04-12-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
Very risky in bigger water. Almost lost it on Pinehurst back in 1986 with a boat like that.

Now only run 18 footers to 22 footers. Three different boats for different reasons.

Best for you to go to that small Trout lake just north of Burnstick lake. It has a lower valley, good access, and bays for shelter if winds come up.

It has great brook trout fishing.

It's called Birch lake and has three islands for nice shelter for you.

Easy to get to. Good roads. You have the advantage as you can drag your light boat down to the shore whereas others cannot. Not sure if small motors are allowed or not. If not distances are short so you can row. Bring insect repellent.

Best lake for you if your around Calgary. Southern Alberta just too windy. Very treed area and pretty. No bald prairie.
Pretty hard to get anything other than a belly boat, kayak or something light down and back up the hill at Birch, because your not turning anything larger than a small pickup around at the bottom of that tight steep hill.
Plenty of small lakes around Calgary much closer than birch with a ton better access. Plan ahead look at wind forecasts, launch and choose the lakes accordingly. You could boat on any lake if your staying reasonably close to shore and watch the winds. Just take it easy and learn your limits.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:13 PM

Thanks for the tips!

I have a Porta-Bote and last year I took it to Upper Kananaskis (Stayed on the calmer side by the dock) and also went to Glenniffer Lake with it - a little rough but did ok.

Now I just have to learn how to catch fish!!
Old 04-14-2017, 07:50 PM

My buddy and I were fishing Slave Lake years back and saw some serious lightning in the distance but.........the fish were hitting so we hung around. In less than 5 minutes we were in 4 footers and heading home. We encountered a man with his 2 sons in a 16 foot aluminum with a 20 hp Honda pulling his starter rope for all he had.
He screamed at us not to leave him, he could not get his motor going.
We hastily made plans to transfer them to our boat when he suddenly realized his gas tank had moved almost onto its side because of the heavy wave action. He righted the tank and it started up!
He then followed in our wake the 2 or 3 miles back to shore. When we got there he gave us both a big bear hug and asked where we were camped.
We told him and later that night he brought over a case of beer and again profusely thanked us.
It kind of taught us all a lesson. Now when we see lightning in the distance at Slave we pull anchor and head back...........even if the fish are biting!
Old 04-14-2017, 08:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaman View Post
Pretty hard to get anything other than a belly boat, kayak or something light down and back up the hill at Birch, because your not turning anything larger than a small pickup around at the bottom of that tight steep hill.
Plenty of small lakes around Calgary much closer than birch with a ton better access. Plan ahead look at wind forecasts, launch and choose the lakes accordingly. You could boat on any lake if your staying reasonably close to shore and watch the winds. Just take it easy and learn your limits.
I think it depends if he has a hand. It's not that bad. 12 foot is so light.
Many people will attempt to convince Birch is tough to get into but really there is loads of room to park. Then skid your boat down a 30 degree slope for only 15 to 20 meters. No worse than packing out some game. Go for it!
Old 04-14-2017, 10:16 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Mangosteen;3517538]I think it depends if he has a hand. It's not that bad. 12 foot is so light.
Many people will attempt to convince Birch is tough to get into but really there is loads of room to park. Then skid your boat down a 30 degree slope for only 15 to 20 meters. No worse than packing out some game. Go for it![/QUOTE

Not much parking after the cattle gate at all to park @ most 10-12 vehicles. It's always slippery so getting down the hill through the slop isn't bad it's getting up that can be brutal. Usually quite muddy and rutted up by people that think they can make the turn at the bottom, after someone rips the barricade at the top of the hill out of the ground. Love the lake hate the access. Like I've said a ton better lakes with better access closer to Cowtown.