Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:19 PM

Default Newell Lake setting derby trends

What do the people in this forum think of the Newell ice fishing derby being on a bait ban? The Newell derby sets trends for other lakes since its so large, and thus I think it should be more talked about. On open water sure where you can cast, but its a different story ice fishing where only verticle action can happen.

Anywho, what do you think?

... if this thread gets many replies its gunna get ugly I'm sure.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:22 PM

I just don't see it working... How are they really going to enforce it.

Last edited by pencapchew; 02-13-2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-13-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafhone View Post
What do the people in this forum think of the Newell ice fishing derby being on a bait ban? The Newell derby sets trends for other lakes since its so large, and thus I think it should be more talked about. On open water sure where you can cast, but its a different story ice fishing where only verticle action can happen.

Anywho, what do you think?

... if this thread gets many replies its gunna get ugly I'm sure.
Fish lower k all the time bait ban there, it's just gonna make ya a better fisherman, and try a whole bunch of diffrent things, just gotta think outside the box....jiggin spoons rattling raps bucktails.....choose ur weapon.....a tourney shouldn't be like shooting fish in a barrel....
Old 02-13-2013, 09:25 PM

No bait, 36" min. and barbless. Sounds like they're trying to make sure C&R works well.
I guess we'll find out who can fish and who can't. LOL

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-13-2013, 09:26 PM

exactly, not going to be able to enforce it. cant see it lasting long with this rule, cant see many quality size fish getting caught with just lures either. I know myself for one wont be spending 40 bucks this year, too bad, it was a good fundraiser.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencapchew View Post
I just don't see it working... How are they really going to inforce it.

Think they will have random checks, and if ya got bait, instant discalifacation...
Old 02-13-2013, 09:30 PM

Who would be low enough to cheat at a fishing derby? If anyone's caught post up names.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Banned

Another stupid rule that is unenforcable and will probably end that derby. Too bad we have rules on top of rules on top of rules for absolutely everything. All it does is discourage people from participating in these types of events.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Who would be low enough to cheat at a fishing derby? If anyone's caught post up names.
really? how are they going to get caught, 2 guys in the tent, one with a ticket, one without, guy with no ticket using bait, catches a 30 pounder, who'se going to know when the guy with the ticket weighs it in? even if the winner is innocent of cheating, how many people are going to be convinced in their minds that he did cheat? more than one I bet. just my opinion, but I believe they signed the death warrant for ice fishing derbies with that rule

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-13-2013, 09:38 PM

I just spoke with a gentleman from Sparwood a few days ago. He told me that his group made up of 38 men will not be going this year due to the new rules. He figured that he spent roughly $400 in town just on his own over the derby and that it was likely a good average that each member would spend.

A lot of Derby fishing is made up of guys getting away for the weekend and socializing. Now each guy is basically just going to be jigging with 1 rod all day, all weekend. Not too many big pike are going to hit a stationary lure sitting in the water on a second rod.

I think that there will either be a lot of tickets available and some rule bending going on.

What works for rainbow trout in K-Country does not necessarily work for large Northerns. I don't think too many rainbows would take a 12 inch Mackerel if people were suddenly allowed to fish with them in Kananaskis.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
exactly, not going to be able to enforce it. cant see it lasting long with this rule, cant see many quality size fish getting caught with just lures either. I know myself for one wont be spending 40 bucks this year, too bad, it was a good fundraiser.
my sentiments too, plan to skip the derby and enjoy the people. It's expensive for me to have an fishing outing (2-3 days), and i'd rather have a good time with fish and people. looking forward to crawling valley 2-3rd
Old 02-13-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
really? how are they going to get caught, 2 guys in the tent, one with a ticket, one without, guy with no ticket using bait, catches a 30 pounder, who'se going to know when the guy with the ticket weighs it in? even if the winner is innocent of cheating, how many people are going to be convinced in their minds that he did cheat? more than one I bet. just my opinion, but I believe they signed the death warrant for ice fishing derbies with that rule
Maybe the prize money is to high? Still have a hard time wraping my mind around cheating at a derby. Thought this was supposed to be all in good fun.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Banned

Live target makes a lure looks exactly like a Herring, just use that.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Maybe the prize money is to high? Still have a hard time wraping my mind around cheating at a derby. Thought this was supposed to be all in good fun.
been cheating going on at Newell for years, wont post the details, but yes it has. amazing how people will cheat for a 200 dollar prize. and some of the most vocal do-gooders cheating themselves, when peoples backs are turned.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 02-13-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
I just spoke with a gentleman from Sparwood a few days ago. He told me that his group made up of 38 men will not be going this year due to the new rules. He figured that he spent roughly $400 in town just on his own over the derby and that it was likely a good average that each member would spend.

A lot of Derby fishing is made up of guys getting away for the weekend and socializing. Now each guy is basically just going to be jigging with 1 rod all day, all weekend. Not too many big pike are going to hit a stationary lure sitting in the water on a second rod.

I think that there will either be a lot of tickets available and some rule bending going on.

What works for rainbow trout in K-Country does not necessarily work for large Northerns. I don't think too many rainbows would take a 12 inch Mackerel if people were suddenly allowed to fish with them in Kananaskis.
Really gentlemen in sparwood lol, I kid of course that where I grew up say hi to Clayton for me lol....
Old 02-13-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
been cheating going on at Newell for years, wont post the details, but yes it has. amazing how people will cheat for a 200 dollar prize. and some of the most vocal do-gooders cheating themselves, when peoples backs are turned.
i've heard these stories
Old 02-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Banned

What is the purpose of the bait ban? Mortality rates or something else?
Old 02-13-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
Really gentlemen in sparwood lol, I kid of course that where I grew up say hi to Clayton for me lol....
I met them at Keho.

I think that I meet people from Sparwood fishing Keho everytime I am there.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I met them at Keho.

I think that I meet people from Sparwood fishing Keho everytime I am there.
That's funny I meet a couple of guys there from sparhole at keho last time there, we had good day fishin with them, caught up on a lot of info/gossip from the ole hometown..
Old 02-13-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
What is the purpose of the bait ban? Mortality rates or something else?
thats the idea as far as I can see.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:57 PM

Might as well start a thread now. Winner of Newell derby suspected of cheating because others couldnt catch fish
Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 PM

sounds legit, the winner is a CHEATER!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:01 PM
jrs

Quote:

Give it a few years, people will figure out how to catch the big ones. May be a few drop outs but like with changes in any competition people will adapt. Ive seen lots of big pike taken without bait, jigging spoons, those huge jigs that look like rainbow trout, jigging raps, it all works if you do it right. For the second rod, consider a big balloon or grocery bag on the tip of a long rod, self jigging. Tournaments will have to make changes like this if they want to survive in Alberta, just too many people using the resource to continue with no changes.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
Give it a few years, people will figure out how to catch the big ones. May be a few drop outs but like with changes in any competition people will adapt. Ive seen lots of big pike taken without bait, jigging spoons, those huge jigs that look like rainbow trout, jigging raps, it all works if you do it right. For the second rod, consider a big balloon or grocery bag on the tip of a long rod, self jigging. Tournaments will have to make changes like this if they want to survive in Alberta, just too many people using the resource to continue with no changes.
X2 agree fully...Like I said makes a better fisherman..
Old 02-13-2013, 11:46 PM

If tournaments go to this type of rules they will all end up dying around here.

With very few competitors in an event the organizers will just have to eventually shut it down.

What happens after this year at Newel when a bunch of fishermen/women head out and get skunked all weekend?

They are going to say to hell with that derby and this trend will continue until there just isn't enough interest to keep the tourney running.

I am thinking after this years derby with a bait ban and the organizers realizing how many people aren't going to go anymore they will either scrap those rules or collapse the derby in future years.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I am thinking after this years derby with a bait ban and the organizers realizing how many people aren't going to go anymore they will either scrap those rules or collapse the derby in future years.
If we are lucky they will collapse the derby. These tournaments are way too hard on lakes.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
If we are lucky they will collapse the derby. These tournaments are way too hard on lakes.
X2... As fun as they are lakes like Badger get killed... It's ridiculous how many people are out for these and every year there's more... Can't be great for the fish stocks
Old 02-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
X2... As fun as they are lakes like Badger get killed... It's ridiculous how many people are out for these and every year there's more... Can't be great for the fish stocks
This is a pretty valid point. Wonder how many good size (20#+) Pike die every year cause some Yahoo (Done gonna wun himself uh prize at th-uh, tar-nuh-ment).
Old 02-14-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Agree, get rid of all the derbies.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:45 AM

From what Ive heard it is not the derby organizers who have implemented the bait ban for the derby nor is the Newell Derby trying to set a specific trend for future derbies. This is supposedly a new provincial regulation that we are going to be seeing in all future derbies. With CV and Badger upcoming it will be interesting to see if the same rules apply or not.
Closed Thread