Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-10-2013, 07:07 PM

Default Nakamun today

was out at Nakamun today from 9am until sundown. There were perch on the screen all day long but nothing was biting. I started with a small yellow jig with maggots and I worked through every conceivable presentation in my tacklebox. I even tried minnow heads thinking that maybe they've quit feeding on bugs and have switched to minnows but no dice. Having exhausted every color, lure configuration and bait I had available, I'm out of ideas. I'm still new at perch fishing. Is this something that just happens as winter goes on or is there something about perch behavior that could shed some light on all of this?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:17 PM

I was at Nakamun today myself and had a great day, tons on the camera, lots of bites, took home a few nice 9-10 inchers to fry for supper. used a yeliow or green jims jig the small grub kind with maggots. I find if you cant get them to bite, try going smaller and smaller on your jigs. Also I find if they seem interested if you just raise the jig slow and let it drop back down you can get a bite or 2.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:19 PM

As a side not, as the season drags on and the oxygen levels start to drop so does the fish aggression. but they seemed fairly active to me.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Banned

I was out there on Thursday and I caught a dozen over 8" in a little over an hour (I even had a double header). I went there today and in an hour and a half I caught 2 little guys that went back in. The bites that I got were very light. It happens sometimes I guess.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:07 PM

If I get wheels under me this week we can go out there again and I'll show ya how it's done

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 02-11-2013, 05:28 AM

Hook too big? Fish right on the bottom, within 1" Feel for the bite or watch the line go slack or both.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:04 PM

We were there Saturday and experienced the same thing. They were biting VERY lightly. If I was not using a bite indicator I would have missed a lot of them. We still caught fewer than we normally do.

Hope it's not an oxygen issue since it's still a while before spring. Also they were still at the bottom and I thought they move up towards the surface as oxygen decreases?
Old 02-11-2013, 03:08 PM

try meal worms instead of maggots
Old 02-11-2013, 05:50 PM

it wasn't a biting too light issue since I was staring intently at the monitor of my fish camera. It was a not interested issue. It is possible my hook is too big (I've been telling people that for years.....but I digress....sorry) I'll try smaller tackle next week. I think the problem is that all week I watch overweight slack jawed Americans fishing in North Dakota on Youtube who say that in order to catch the nice ones you have to use a little bigger lure to keep the little ones off. Maybe I'm just too darn optimistic and the truth is that I need to use the smallest presentation I can find and just be thankful with the entertainment provided by a days worth of little perch C+R and order pizza for supper... And Geezle, I'm taking you up on that next weekend. I'd love to have you show me how its done.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Banned

Green 1/4 once jig with a chunk of dew worm on it works for me.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Green 1/4 once jig with a chunk of dew worm on it works for me.
Thats a big jig for perch!

I use 1/16oz at the largest. Typically I use 1/64oz.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:19 AM

I had the same problem. Very light bites I watched what they were doin and they were trying to bite the jig head. So I gave them a vertical presentation ( small Russian hook ). Couldn't keep them off.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post

Yeah, you're right......my mistake.

I'm using a 1/16 oz jig out there.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:54 PM

Got some info on the lake off fishing buddies i was told wire worms and maggots
Old 02-12-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post

Just use nymphs and chonies, they always work the best for me plus they **** off the fish even if they aren't feeding.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 AM

I've only ever fished right off of the bible camp at Nakamun. I'm wanting to do a little exploring next time out. Are there any areas on Nakamun that are known to have tinner ice or is it safe to drive all over the place out there? By the way, I'm not familiar with "nymphs and chonies" what are they and where do I get them?
Old 02-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Banned

I don't know of any thin ice problems at Nakamun like Devil's and Lac Ste Anne has but that doesn't mean that there isn't any. The whole lake holds perch so I'm not sure why people seem to congregate at the bible camp. I've had better luck getting away from the crowds where people don't usually fish. GL.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
I don't know of any thin ice problems at Nakamun like Devil's and Lac Ste Anne has but that doesn't mean that there isn't any. The whole lake holds perch so I'm not sure why people seem to congregate at the bible camp. I've had better luck getting away from the crowds where people don't usually fish. GL.
I think church type people are under the impression that if you catch three small fish and pray a bit they might multiply so you can feed 5000. Perhaps sitting in front of a bible camp helps people drum up enough faith.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:08 AM

Default Perch Hook

Second from smallest SLENDER SPOON
Old 02-15-2013, 12:55 AM

I was out saturday afternoon for a couple hours and it was slow for us too. We only got 1 but it was a 6 year olds first fish so it was worth it. probably heading back saturday.

Was east of the camp. What depths are you guys in? I was in 13'. Had better luck last year in 20'. Might go back to that depth
Old 02-15-2013, 07:16 AM

I'll be out there on again on Saturday introducing the trophy wife to ice fishing for the very first time. I think I'm going to try some different places. I'm on call this weekend but only as a back-up so the boss is allowing me to take my work truck. Come for a visit, I'll probably be the only plumbing service truck out there...
Old 02-15-2013, 07:55 AM

I will also be at Nak on Saturday afternoon, Sunday, and maybe even Monday. Look for the white Dodge 3/4 ton that says Hitch House on it. Swing by and say hi.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:58 AM

I got your number Kevin. I'll try and shoot you a text but my rogers cell sucks out there. I'll have my duramax out. Most likely by the camp but deep. Maybe boat launch side too. Let me know where abouts you'll be.

If you don't have my # still get it from jay
Old 02-15-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
I got your number Kevin. I'll try and shoot you a text but my rogers cell sucks out there. I'll have my duramax out. Most likely by the camp but deep. Maybe boat launch side too. Let me know where abouts you'll be.

If you don't have my # still get it from jay
The couple times I've been out there this year I started off deep, like around 20' and didn't see a thing...moved in shallower and they were everywhere.

Been a month or more since I was out last though, so that could have easily changed

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 02-15-2013, 10:15 AM

If you catch a pike drop it down another hole 100 yards away to keep him from chasing your perch!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
If you catch a pike drop it down another hole 100 yards away to keep him from chasing your perch!
100%. Those pike will shut down the action completely. If perch are biting good and they suddenly quit it's almost a guarantee Mr. Pike has crashed the party. I don't like Mr. Pike.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry B View Post
100%. Those pike will shut down the action completely. If perch are biting good and they suddenly quit it's almost a guarantee Mr. Pike has crashed the party. I don't like Mr. Pike.
You bet it is. Last time Jay and I were there we had visual proof of it on the camera. Perch would scatter and Mr. Pike would show himself right afterwards.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Banned

I've been having good luck in about 10' of water not including the ice. If I don't get a bite in a half hour then I try another spot. Don't be afraid to go somewhere where there's no people, the perch are everywhere! Once you find somewhere good, and they are biting, you can catch one every 5 or 10 minutes. GL.

Depending on the weather I might head out there on my sled for a couple of hours of fishing. That way I can sled and fish on the same day. I'll have to bring an extra pop in my pocket to bum an auger to punch a few holes.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I've been having good luck in about 10' of water not including the ice. If I don't get a bite in a half hour then I try another spot. Don't be afraid to go somewhere where there's no people, the perch are everywhere! Once you find somewhere good, and they are biting, you can catch one every 5 or 10 minutes. GL.

Depending on the weather I might head out there on my sled for a couple of hours of fishing. That way I can sled and fish on the same day. I'll have to bring an extra pop in my pocket to bum an auger to punch a few holes.
I won't be using my auger this weekend if you want to borrow it Dave. Just send me a pm.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
I won't be using my auger this weekend if you want to borrow it Dave. Just send me a pm.
I have an auger, I just don't want to take it on the sled. I'll just take two rods and a scoop in a backpack and a tub of worms in my pocket. Thanks anyway.