Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-27-2017, 07:33 PM

Default Calling tika T3 shooters

I am about to take possession of a T3 varmint in .223 and am wondering if these will fit in the magazine?

http://www.hirschprecision.com/index...products_id=17

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-27-2017, 07:44 PM

I have used scenars, but not Lapua ammunition. I had to seat the scenars quite deep to fit the magazine. They were well off of the lands, but they still shot well. The Sierra 69gr TMK is even longer, and they shoot well under 1/2 moa when seated to fit the magazine.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-27-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You won't be seating them close to the lands if you want to use them in the magazine, but I can still get under 1/2moa with the 69gr Sierra TMK seated to fit the magazine, and they are an even longer bullet. The fact that they aren't fussy about seating depth is why I like the Sierra Matchking and TMK in my target rifles.
Im just wondering about the factory shells I posted.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-27-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Im just wondering about the factory shells I posted.
I just realized that, I would ask the vendor to measure the COL and compare it to your magazine length. I am sure that Peter at Hirsch would measure a round for you. That being said, most companies seat bullets deep enough to fit the standard size magazines. If you are going to handload, and you want to seat the bullets to the lands, Waters makes a metal magazine that is long enough to do this, and you don't have to change the bolt stop.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-27-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:01 PM

If you wanted to seat bullets way out there you could by a long action mag and bolt stop. This is what i had to do changing from 243 win to 6.5-284.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I just realized that, I would ask the vendor to measure the COL and compare it to your magazine length. I am sure that Peter at Hirsch would measure a round for you. That being said, most companies seat bullets deep enough to fit the standard size magazines. If you are going to handload, and you want to seat the bullets to the lands, Waters makes a metal magazine that is long enough to do this, and you don't have to change the bolt stop.
Is it possible to repin the factory mag to accept longer loads. I do want to reload. The only reason I'm buying the factory shells is because I want the brass. Fire forming the brass can be done with a factory round as well as a reload, it saves me some time, as well as the cartridge should be accurate.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-27-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Is it possible to repin the factory mag to accept longer loads. I do want to reload. The only reason I'm buying the factory shells is because I want the brass. Fire forming the brass can be done with a factory round as well as a reload, it saves me some time, as well as the cartridge should be accurate.
It's not a matter of repinning the mag, there is a spacer built into the rear of the mag that limits the length of the cartridge, and because of how the magazine is made, it's difficult to modify it to gain more internal length.The Waters magazines are expensive, and because they are ten round capacity, they protrude a fair bit below the stock, but they feed very well, and they provide an extra 1/4" or so of magazine internal length.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
It's not a matter of repinning the mag, there is a spacer built into the rear of the mag that limits the length of the cartridge, and because of how the magazine is made, it's difficult to modify it to gain more internal length.The Waters magazines are expensive, and because they are ten round capacity, they protrude a fair bit below the stock, but they feed very well, and they provide an extra 1/4" or so of magazine internal length.
Yes, I had a look at the Waters mag. a little spendy. Thanks for your advice!

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-27-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
If you wanted to seat bullets way out there you could by a long action mag and bolt stop. This is what i had to do changing from 243 win to 6.5-284.
Only problem is he is shooting a .223 which will not work in the longer magazines, the 223 magazine has thicker feed rails in order to hold the narrower .223 cartridge.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:43 PM

Found this on lengthening the magazine.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...Magazine_Modif

Thomas Sowell