Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-12-2017, 12:55 PM

Default Clearwater river

Hi ao,

Thinking about heading southwest of Rocky Mountain House for Easter. Has anyone been on the Clearwater yet this spring? Is it even open? I'm gonna try fly fishing for the first time so any tips greatly appreciated.

Big mouth don't make a big man-John Wayne
Old 04-12-2017, 02:01 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1797 View Post
Hi ao,

Thinking about heading southwest of Rocky Mountain House for Easter. Has anyone been on the Clearwater yet this spring? Is it even open? I'm gonna try fly fishing for the first time so any tips greatly appreciated.
I haven't been on it personally but what I've been told it is fishable and very busy.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Hi ao,

Good luck, very tough river early season. More nice to look at than productive. I haven't tried that hard either in the early season but it is always nice to look at
Old 04-12-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Good luck, very tough river early season. More nice to look at than productive. I haven't tried that hard either in the early season but it is always nice to look at
Shouldn't have told me that, that's the only time I catch fish on this river. Now i'll never get any!

Old 04-12-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Shouldn't have told me that, that's the only time I catch fish on this river. Now i'll never get any!

haha! Good for you. That just proves I suck at the ClearWater and need to put in the time and effort....
There is so much water and so little time...
Old 04-12-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post

Any tips on fly choices this time of year? Like I said I'm green as it gets haha

Big mouth don't make a big man-John Wayne
Old 04-13-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Any tips on fly choices this time of year? Like I said I'm green as it gets haha
I don't want to call it a tip per say, as I don't think i'm the best fisherman out there, but I like to throw out big, white (white with purple, white with red, white with black) streamers.

It's a strong current, so i often have to add a weight to get it to go down further.

GL!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I agree, in recent years many of the big fish have disappeared. I don't want to blame poachers or pressure, but it has changed.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:59 PM

Seemed like a big flood last fall. Wonder if fishing is effected.