Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-10-2017, 09:00 AM

Angry A Complete Jerk!!

This is just going to be a rank. Me and my buddy were at the NSR by Hermitage, by the outlet. It was crowded, but for the most part, everyone was being respectful of each other's lines......except one complete jerk.

On multiple occasions, he would get caught up with someone's line, and just start whipping his rod to purposely snap their line. No concern for anyone around him, or anything. The last time, I was standing 10 feet to his right when he started whipping his rod. the first time, he almost hit me in the head with his line, then when he finally snapped the "kids" line, I almost took the lure in the forehead. My buddy was saying to him "hey you're snagged on that kids line". All the jerk would say is "I know, they cast over me, I snap their lines. I've got 30 lb braid. it will break all their lines."

That's when I said, time to leave. if I would have got hit with a lure, I would have snapped. some courtesy goes a long way. We are all there for the same reason, if you can't be a decent human, then stay home or go find a spot where there is nobody around. Risking hurting someone, upsetting a little kid, is really unacceptable.

Rant done.

Last edited by GoneFishingEDM; 04-10-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishingEDM View Post
This is just going to be a rank. Me and my buddy were at the NSR by Hermitage, by the outlet. It was crowded, but for the most part, everyone was being respectful of each other's lines......except one complete jerk.

On multiple occasions, he would get caught up with someone's line, and just start whipping his rod to purposely snap their line. No concern for anyone around him, or anything. The last time, I was standing 10 feet to his right when he started whipping his rod. the first time, he almost hit me in the head with his line, then when he finally snapped the "kids" line, I almost took the lure in the forehead. My buddy was saying to him "hey you're snagged on that kids line". All the jerk would say is "I know, they cast over me, I snap their lines. I've got 30 lb braid. it will break all their lines."

That's when I said, time to leave. if I would have got hit with a lure, I would have snapped. some courtesy goes a long way. We are all there for the same reason, if you can't be a decent human, then stay home or go find a spot where there is nobody around. Risking hurting someone, upsetting a little kid, is really unacceptable.

Rank done.
It's called COMBAT FISHING , get over it

For better action, violent attacks, even stabbing and vicious assaults,

Try these locations

the Dean River ( Bella Coola zone coastal BC ) a World Class Salmon Water
Thompson River ( interior BC)
Vedder River ( lower mainland BC )
Chehalis River ( lower mainland BC )

And many more, the NEW Outdoor Experience
Old 04-10-2017, 09:18 AM

And that is why you avoid gong shows like hermitage lol
Old 04-10-2017, 09:20 AM

Lots of the same guys fishig Herm for years, lots of great guys but always a jerkoff in the mix.

Hopefully didn't leave bad taste for the boy in his fishing experience
Old 04-10-2017, 09:27 AM
Banned

Should have tossed his tackle box in the drink. Hopefully karma catches up to him
Old 04-10-2017, 10:03 AM

Me and my buddy were just looking forward to getting out and enjoying some fishing. I was pumped to actually try my new baitcaster out. Not many places this time of year to fish from shore. I heard Hermitage was supposed to be pretty good. I think next time we will try and find somewhere else. I really hope Karma pays him a visit. No excuse for that type of behavior.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
It was crowded, but for the most part, everyone was being respectful of each other's lines......except one complete jerk.

I am more upset about a crowd allowing a single person to act this way....

Even Buddha knows there are situations that require physical intervention to realize peace.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-10-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
It's called COMBAT FISHING , get over it

For better action, violent attacks, even stabbing and vicious assaults,

Try these locations

the Dean River ( Bella Coola zone coastal BC ) a World Class Salmon Water
Thompson River ( interior BC)
Vedder River ( lower mainland BC )
Chehalis River ( lower mainland BC )

And many more, the NEW Outdoor Experience
I knew that the Vedder and Chelahis were terribly crowded and with good potential for fisticuffs during in the salmon season, and perhaps even in the steelhead season now, but the isn't the Dean supposed to be a mecca for civilized well-heeled fly fishers?

As for local ponds here, I find the most noxious fishers are the young bucks nattering away with this and that. And don't even dare to troll to close to bait fishers on shore or else be "bombed" with lead weights!

Last edited by catnthehat; 04-10-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I am more upset about a crowd allowing a single person to act this way....

Even Buddha knows there are situations that require physical intervention to realize peace.
Agree.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:57 PM

You were ten feet apart? Who was there first? The guy who came second is the inconsiderate jerk.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You were ten feet apart? Who was there first? The guy who came second is the inconsiderate jerk.
It's a small area to start with, he came after me and my buddy were there. He was busting the line of the people across the outlet that were all casting into the same area. Small area, and probably about 12 different people fishing in the same area. Me and my buddy were casting out towards the river. The rest were all casting in around the water outlet. Nobody else had any problem being polite and if lines caught crossed they would untangle and continue. This guy was just snapping lines, not even trying to be a decent human. Point is, no reason to go out of your way to be a jerk. If it's too crowded move on. But to risk hurting someone by whipping your rod and sending hooks flying is just being a jerk.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:54 PM

I almost feel like I know the guy you're talking about. There are definitely some characters over there sometimes
Old 04-10-2017, 01:57 PM

Ya I think if that happened to me I would be ****ed too. I don't know that I wouldn't have said something a bit more aggressive. good job by you to keep you cool, I probably would have wound up in the slammer like MC Hammer.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:00 PM

I think I was more shocked than anything. I've been there a few times, and it gets busy, but everyone is respectful of each other's lines and space. Had I taken the hook in the forehead, I would have lost it, that's when I decided time to leave.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:25 PM
Gone Hunting

I fished the Vedder lots. I lived 1/2 hour from there. i have seen it very busy. Same with the Fraser, etc. but I don't recall seeing an issue. Everyone made the effort to make it work.

I did fish the cheakamus one time with an elderly friend of mine. we had the river to ourselves, until a guy showed up and stood right next to my buddy and started to fish the same run Frank was fishing. Frank moved down the river. after the third time. Frank nearly took the guy's face off with his steelhead rod when he cast.

The guy moved on and never bothered us again.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-10-2017, 02:27 PM

Last summer there was five of us fishing from the dock at Goldeye when two people jumped in and went for a swim through our lines, even though it was pointed out they still went. After they came back in it was reiterated once more,( with a few or else's in there) and they never came back.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:02 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
And that is why you avoid gong shows like hermitage lol
Or any other public outing too...hard to have a good time unless your secluded in a remote area...those are the best times, funny though people subject themdpselfs to this crap all the time...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-10-2017, 09:30 PM

You should have shown the idiot fisherman how a bic lighter works on 30 lb braid. That's what the locals do if someone tries that shore fishing on the Skeena. And then you should have swatted him with your rod tip.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-10-2017, 09:46 PM

Default ....

Here in Manitoba I was fishing a local dam at a river. I was the only one fishing my side of the river. The other side had regular fisherman spaced about 25 feet apart respecting each others space giving each casting room. Here I am all alone and a husband and wife. These "new to Canada" people join me. Husband on my left and wife on my right. Using my 6 foot rod I could not lay it flat and swing side to side without hitting this couple. Fishing within 6 feet of either side of me. I just shook my head. I was still fishing so whatever. Cast after cast between the two they kept snagging my line. I freaked! I pointed to the other side of the river and showed how proper fisherman space themselves out. Well good God I snapped. They tried to pull the "speak no English" line. As the wife was untangling her jig from my line I smiled looked at both of them and said "I teach" and went to my bag and grabbed my filleting knife "I cut". Well I have never seen a woman untangle a line so fast and the husband packing up in lightning speed. They were gone in a heartbeat. **** with them you catch a fish and turn around to pull the hook out, then turn back to the river to release they are standing right in your exact spot fishing......I basically have 3 rules. 1-Don't play stupid. 2-Show respect for those around you and the environment. 3-When another rod is at the same hole, ask to join first before getting your rod wet.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:59 PM

How do they even sleep at night? Whatever happened to etiquette and respect? ? It's a first come first serve type thing to me. "Guess I will get up a little earlier next time to get the sweet spot and let these guys enjoy their day" kinda thing... I remember being on a good whitefish bite for finicky, spooky whites on a 6 or 7 foot hump at gull and old timers coming storming in and unzipping my one man shack and sticking their heads in without hardly saying a word then drilling literally 2 or three feet away and setting up.! I could hear them breathing and after I got my last fish ripping on those guys loud and proud like only a redneck farmboy can. Made sure I had a good audience and didn't get too offensive and boy that felt good. Couldn't believe that old timers would do that. Really opened my eyes.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:48 AM

Should have casually walked up to him, cut his line and said. How does it feel ? Don't do it to others. Then walk away.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:27 PM

Ill have to agree the guy sounds like a jerk.
But why do people not say something then come on a forum and preach to the choir?

Some guys need a slap because its obvious they haven't had enough in their life!
Old 04-17-2017, 03:19 PM

Even in my day it was super busy there. I took my dad there once it was crowded so we went upstream a little ways. Cast pickerel rigs out 50 feet with worms and caught Goldeye. Fished 20-25 feet off the bank and caught walleye. Caught a beauty 8lber that day.

Just because there is a crowd does not always mean all the fish are there or even the best spot. Explore.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin