Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-13-2017, 09:39 AM

Default Taking your boat to the coast?

Hi all,

I have done a couple salmon trips off Vancouver Island from Campbell River in the past with my family and had a good time. We got a 18.5' Lund last summer and I was wondering about taking it out to the coast to do some fishing without hiring a guide. You obviously need to pick your days with a boat like mine, staying on the inside passages. Does anyone here have some tips and suggestions based on their experience in the past?

Holidays with a family of 5 get pricey, so if I could cut the cost of a charter out it would make it easier to do for more than a day. I was thinking about Prince Rupert, but have never been there and don't want to haul my boat there only to find out that it isn't suitable.

Thanks.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 04-13-2017, 09:49 AM

PM sent
Old 04-13-2017, 09:53 AM

Rupert can get pretty gnarly, and I would advise against it in a boat that size. Might be ok on a calm day but it's a long way to go to sit on shore and watch waves from the beach. If I was in your position I would have a good look at the Port Alberni/Barkley Sound area. It is a long, relatively sheltered inlet that is almost always fishable in smaller craft. Lots of islands and decent runs of salmon.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:26 AM

We do Bella Coola multiple times a year. Far more inland and sheltered than Prince Rupert. Can get to plenty of excellent fishing spots doing day trips. Of course weather can still kick up but there also are a number of sheltered coves we anchor in overnight.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
Rupert can get pretty gnarly, and I would advise against it in a boat that size. Might be ok on a calm day but it's a long way to go to sit on shore and watch waves from the beach. If I was in your position I would have a good look at the Port Alberni/Barkley Sound area. It is a long, relatively sheltered inlet that is almost always fishable in smaller craft. Lots of islands and decent runs of salmon.

That's what I was wondering with PR. Only downside of Port Alberni is taking the boat across on the Ferry is pretty pricey from what I recall.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-13-2017, 05:25 PM

We always took our smaller boat to the bamfield area. Seabeam resort if on a budget, they even rent trailers. Due to the high ferry cost we now hang out around rupert and kitimat. Kitimat is usually calm in the mornings, can be very good salmon and crab fishing. We have caught a few haibut at fishtrap about a 25 mile run down the inlet. You could also hit bishop bay for a soak in the hot springs. Rupert is doable but you may not get out due to wind, but with that being said we were there in July for 10 days last year and it was calm most days.

Use common sense. Get a vhf radio (listen to the weather), chart plotter, paper charts and a compass watch the tides and have fun.

Last edited by Dark; 04-13-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:17 PM

Before I got the bigger boat last year we went out the previous summer in the 16 foot aluminum to Port Alberni for Sockeye and up to Port Hardy. Here's the videos. Also during summer months Ferry Discounts are available for traveling with trailers on certain days and sailings. We try to sail on those times if we can as it saves a pile of money!!! Got to love the island you have so many options all within a few hours drive depending on weather.

All these videos taken in a 16 foot aluminum console Spectrum with a 75hp Force.

Port Hardy Big Yellow Eye Rockfish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRfIa4U40YQ

Port Hardy Coho:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF9Uar5SkGk

Port Hardy Lingcod/rockfish:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCRL5BMzya4

Port Hardy Monster Lingcod in:
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=cxekMxxj9cg

Port Alberni Sockeye Fishing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGZTkBKaQbE

Port Alberni Rockfish fishing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNxzpqRWN14

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 04-13-2017, 06:36 PM

Depends on if you have brass or nerf.

I have been 20 miles off Rupert tucked into the quiet side of an island trolling, and 16 foot tinner goes by.

You have to pick your days for sure, but I have seen many boats out there I wouldn't want to go out in.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

I have been 20 miles off Rupert tucked into the quiet side of an island trolling, and 16 foot tinner goes by.

You have to pick your days for sure, but I have seen many boats out there I wouldn't want to go out in.

Definitely nerf! Haha. Seriously, with three young kids I don't want to do anything risky.

SS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 04-14-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Definitely nerf! Haha. Seriously, with three young kids I don't want to do anything risky.

SS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Then don't take them to the ocean
J/k
Brandon has listed some good ones as well. Yep, there is a ferry ride but you also get so many choices.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:22 AM

I would not think it wise to head to rupert with that boat especially if it is an open bow. From what i hear port alberni has much quieter water. I took a lund tyee out to kitimat and found i needed a different boat if i was to continue fishing the ocean. If your boat is open bow, find some way to close it in before you go. Also attach a spare motor and install a radio or get a handheld. Either of those could save your lives.
When i head to rupert i always remember that the coast guard officer in rupert told me one time that they pull people from alberta out of the water every year.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:40 AM

Thanks guys. I have a 9.9 Kicker on my rig as well. I'm still hoping to find an area of sheltered water where things don't get to hairy but there are still fish to catch.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-14-2017, 06:19 PM

took new boat to the salt chuck for salmon fishing for 10 years , no problems with boat or motors 27 years later was and flushed motors after each use sometimes twice a day. the trailer was replaced with a galvanized trailer after 5 years 22 years and its still in great shape. soap and water is the trick right after boat is out of water . this is a picture of it summer 2016 . boat and motors were purchased new in. 1990
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boat 003.jpg (69.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg boat 007.jpg (68.1 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg boat 002.jpg (68.7 KB, 81 views)
Old 04-15-2017, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

That can be crazy to see. I was on a charter in Costa Rica with a couple of people I'd rounded up from our resort because I couldn't afford to go it alone. The general discussion was how un-seaworthy our boat was (probably a 28' diesel). Just as the shoreline disappeared from view we came across a couple of dudes in a small tinner over the next swail.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:05 AM

After reading through these 2 threads regarding small boats and the salt effects on components etc .I got thinking .Would a surface drive mud motor be a good solution for the small boats. Being air cooled and therefore not sucking seawater up into the internals.I am thinking it could be a good alternative.
I don't have a mud motor and have never used one but just throwing it out there .
Old 04-17-2017, 11:13 AM

Don't let the nay sayers turn you off of taking your boat. I did it for 10 years with a Lund 1750 fisherman: From the west side of the charlottes (Peel Inlet,)to all around Rupert. With wife and kids.

You just have to be smarter then the average .

Pm me if you wish - I live out on Digby island in the summer months and have been rec fishing out there for +15 years
Old 04-17-2017, 11:45 AM

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the replies, PMs, and phone discussions. I think we know what we need to get for the boat, where we would like to end up for decent fishing in sheltered water, and what to expect.

It does look like I left things a bit late for booking accommodations. Most of what is available is either 100% fishing focused or not suited for a family of 5. As a result I think we are going to look at getting all the gear installed on the boat and set up this spring and do a lake trout trip to Northern Sask, then book a house for next summer on the coast and head out there for the summer of 2018.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the help I got. One of the reasons that AO is great!

SS

Old 04-17-2017, 12:29 PM

I've been fishing the northern part of the west coast pretty much every summer for the past 15 years. We do most of our fishing in the charlottes but still go to Rupert and Kitimat. If you're looking for a good trip for the kids, I'd say go fish the Douglas Channel/Kitimat River. For the most part it stays fairly calm from my experience. Just keep an eye out for dead heads. Fishing can be slow some days and hot others. We usually don't do as well in Kitimat and Rupert but on days when the water is too rough to get out on the ocean, you can always head down to the kitimat river and fish, rather then walk around the harbor in Rupert. Another good trip for the kids would be Sockeye fishing in Babine Lake. I haven't been out there in a while but I remember it being a lot of fun and you wouldn't have to worry about weather. If you have any other questions fire me a PM