Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-26-2017, 02:39 PM

Default Per Season Warm Up

Awesome weather for warming up the stick launcher for 2017.

Been doing the string thing for 36 years, and what a ride. It's allowed me and many others too get in close and except defeat when the clean harvest is not possible.

Lots of Deer over the years and about too finally go after Elk this year.

Get the unit and body dialed in as the year forward will be scouting the length of our Eastern Slopes of Alberta.

Don
Old 03-29-2017, 06:28 PM

Today I had the chance too mark in the blanks of range on the new sights. HHA Lumina optics with battery powered back up light. $185

80 yards in this photo.

Still Dialing in as I'm working out winter off time.
4 target hits with 4 misses. 8 arrows in total.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:37 PM

Then a fun shoot at 150 yards as it allows me too confirm right too left adjustment.

Time too add second riser peep for these fun shoots.

Ha, all 8 shots are low. Ha.
At least they are in line.
More adjusting too get back to last years 220 yards of stick chuckling.

Archery is a blast so long as we try different things on all outting.

Clout Shooting coming this spring.

3 arrows, farthest & tightest groupings wins a free coffee.
Aim for the Wright cloud is always the plan. LOL

Don
Old 03-30-2017, 07:44 AM

My True Glow will find a new home on the wall as it remains in the collection of Stick Chuckling days gone by
Ha.
Kinda nice looking back at the many sights I've used over the 36 years.

I'll compare my last slider sight too my new unit as I can see the difference in quality, adjustbility, and the light gathing optic fibre back up battery power light when needed.

$189 for sight, $59 for Light,,, yet too see coat of 2X lens yet.

This sliding sight allows 10 too 85 ish yards at 60 lb draw on the bow.

Yuppers to game changers in the path of Archery.
All part of the drug too human kind that allows more thrill too the out-doors.

Don
Old 03-30-2017, 09:26 AM

Just got thinking back at my low cost tally over the years in Archery.

Had 5 bows.
1000's of arrows.
14 frugal sights.
20 + targets.
25 arrow rests.
Many books of Archery info relating too harvests along with out-door adventures.

Over all savings of $10 + G per year in not having old bad habits. This is "funds" not spent in party mod.

So fun factor works out too free of good times collected. LOL.

Many activities out doors fall into my category.
Sight seeing & relaxing are at the top of the list followed by target practic bow & rifle.
Fishing some times, OHV, hiking & mountain biking too.

Lots of camping. Did the RV stuff over the years, but finally took on the pick-up truck or better Known as the "Cabin on Wheels."

Started at sleep in truck thing back in 1982, steeped it up in 1998,,, then jumped on the full system with gen-set electricity, cooking, full on long time distance and aloted days by 2005.

Never looked back as the Cabin on Wheels has assisted me of covering all of the Americas on many trips.
Canada coast too coast as well as the USA,,, limited trips in Alaska and Mexico 4 or 5 times.

Yuppers, glad too be back at something too do so long as the over all costs remain in check.

Don
Old 03-30-2017, 11:50 AM

Another shoot today for confirmation of yardage marks.
All checked out so far, now add photo-copy yardage marks for now until other archery stuff shows up.

That way I'm not wasting the original stick-ons.

Scotch Tap for now till I shoot ranging distance over a few more days.

Might need too use the next lower grid, time will tell.

Sure glad to have pre season warm up for the head start. Middle age body needs time to get into the Grove of things. LOL.

Don
Old 03-31-2017, 08:40 AM

You should post a pic of the sight wall, must look cool!
Old 03-31-2017, 11:27 AM

Will do the next time I'm out there.
400' across at bottom of sand pile, 150' + tall. Pretty hard to miss. LOL.

Today is ripper head time.

20 yards is a go.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:34 AM

Bingo from the get go with no adjustments too sights, this is a sign that the bow & arrows are lined up and working as one.

One shot as I find out that I will not be using my pack target for shooting chicken heads. Ha.

Different target for sure as rippers will chew the hide right off this target.

A bit more practic as I gear up for gopher season. Ye Ha.
Bring on the good times.

Don
Old 04-05-2017, 06:38 PM

Was thinking about traditional archery for many years, today I decided the time has come.

The prices were in check as I'll start off simple with a 35lb draw for now.
Tried 7 bows from 20 to 55 lb as the 35 lb unit is a good spot too start,,, and PSE sells stiff limbs when the time comes.

$258 with arrows in hand along with cheap rest and quiver.

This will get my body alignment happening as its like weight training. Ha.

Target practice along with 3D shooting at our farm.
It's a take down bow so it's easy to pack in pick-up truck for those other relaxing days of sitting around at the camp fire.

It works hand in hand with my 60 lb compound bow as it will remain my go too unit for critters.

If I do the stronger limbs for the recurve, then it will fill that nitch too.

Don
Old 04-05-2017, 08:14 PM

Tinker and his wife from Oliver BC are traditional archery folks, she is awesome at 3D competitions threw out the Province.

For those of us that are considering Recurve bows, we're in luck as a fellow on You Tube has a 2 hour video on free sight aiming.

The Push or You Tube Archery Push in the search engine.

Video is just over 2 hours as he explanes 3 different ways too use arrow as sight in 3D competition shoots.

And he steps it up a bit with another way too do it as well.

Don at sharing ideas too assist in more of the dream.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:03 PM

So old school meets new tools !!! Ha,,, or is that Old Tool.

Spent some time on YouTube and reading some info on free arrow sighting,,, this is not where I want too be with a Recurve Bow.

My body and arms do not flex enough too line up arrow nock / tip of nose with outward turned hand for a 3 point contact, so regular bow sights are a must.

I worked with the Wisker Bisket idea for part of the day, arrows were starting to line up nice at 10 yards, but for some reason I felt that the old school adjustable spring idea would work better.

Older archers remember the Free and Easy rest of the day as they renamed them drop away rests.
Free and Easy rest us magnets too hold spring tab with arrow resting on it,,, once the arrow gets underway the spring collapses away so the fetchings don't hit the rest.

And they are still to this day the finger tap shooters frugal arrow launcher device that have stood the test of time.

The one pin adjustable sights work for my style of Archery.
Easy too view pin and target.
10 to 60+ yards.
And a consistent sight on every shot.
This is a must since my shooting arm does not allow flexing like the old days.

If I could free sight arrows too targets , then by all means but it just isn't so.

The wood stock is big and beefy that fits a extra large hand. It fools the mind as Recurve Bows are light weight and simple.

Dialing them in is easy with 2 fetched arrows, and 2 with out.

Once all 4 arrows are grouped, then fine tuning after that.
A new learned trick is too pack a tape measure all the time too check Brace Height from time to time.

Brace height is back of handle too string. The Recurve Bow I have likes 7",,, and adding more or less helps in this tuning... Twist the string a few times too get the Brace Height needed.

Don at learning what was once remembered and long forgot.

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 04-07-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:23 PM

Today I switched to Recurve Bow only.
Compound bow has a new home on the wall.
This by far is the funnest bow I've ever shot in all my archery years.

I watched many of the YouTube videos from "The Push."
Traditional archery just won't work for me, so my plan is too have old school work with new school.
20 yards for now till my arrow rest plunger arrives.

HHS optics scope with 2 power lens works good.

I have the option too pick lenses from 2 too 9 power, next lens will be a 4.

The wood riser opening was 5 1/4", so my custom wood bro opened it up too 5 3/4" too allow more view of scope.
These PSE wood risers are built with 2.2 stress factor from factory, so we took out 0.3 of that.

Then we will add an aluminum reinforcement on sight rest side too prevent flexing. This will put it back too 2.2 factor.

The right aluminum is stiff and brittle, use the press forum stuff as it is less likely too twist or bend.

Now I can see the whole scope that works better for my shooting style.

Adding benefit too what I need has always been part of plan. Having access too material and man power helps alot.

Don at pre season warm up.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Wow, you have a lot of time on your hands
Win the lottery?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-12-2017, 07:32 AM

Ha. Not yet, but if I win I'll fry up some targets.

I'm slowing down with the work thing that allows more time to do stuff.

Been on a "Less is More" program since 2007 as it allows me too use what little I have more than having too much with out enough time of owning too much stuff...

I have limited stuff as back-up if needed.
2 trucks, bows, gen-set, sleeping bags, axes, saws, knives, and coffee cups. Double double for the important crap. Ha.

Like most folks here in our Americas, I was consumed with too much stuff. It had me thinned out and trying to pick what too do from day too day was challenging.

So I limited things too what I wanted to do by cutting Hobbies in half,,, 22 became 11 ish. Then I cut again to 5.

Today I remain at 1 hobby. It's called Hobby Out-Doors.

Relaxing is priority 1,,, sight-seeing is 2,,, living life full bore 3, and having things too do is 4.

Creek fishing is returning part time,,, archery & target practic too.

All this happens from my Cabin on Wheels.

I have 2 cabins if one needs time off. LOL.
And top priority at all staging grounds is,

Bon-fire lunches along the trail some where no where.

I'm not 29 years young no more, so travel frugal, find quality of out door stuff, and relax at my pace is a must.
A good lawn chair, camp fire, cup of coffee,,, backed up by a good Truck and sleeping bag.

10" high density foam bed in back seat puts the package together.

Endless days & nights in the wilds, save on fuel as the quad & 1000 Watt gen-set burns nill for fuel.

Last 3 BC runs cost me less then $200 ish each year in and out on fuel. 4 day, 6, day, and this last 5 day run.
A few bucks for food. Camping is always free.

The day will come when I move too a card board box in Arizona as I won't need to worry about battling winters.
No tax on camping in card board boxes down there. Ha.

Don at finding good times with limited budget so long as lakes rocks and trees remain free for the view.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:43 PM

Thumbs up

Awesome, you found the true meaning of enjoyment, pure and simple.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:20 PM

One could say that I worked my way from 16 too 50+ as I slowly return too having less along the way.

Started off with an old 1970 Ford 1/2 ton that was followed by many four wheel drives. Ha. Today I'm back in 2 wdr too log on the miles.

Cabin on Wheels I call it as it takes me too work, camping, quading with and without tracks, sight-seeing, towns and cities or any where I end up taking wrong turns. LOL.

I do this on purpose all the time.
At times the Cabin gets pretty full, but I seem to manage.
1000 Watt gen-set, winter coveralls are a must.
Rain gear and extra cloths under high density foam bed in back seat.

Both front seats slide and fold forward too give me a full size bed. Always sleep with one window open for cold air,,, then fire up Cabin too make it toasty warm for morning get-go.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:29 PM

Passenger side is 2 tool boxes of fix every thing, and clean up station.
Bring what's needed, and learn how to use stuff for other things that come along.

Aluminum tool box behind the cab has tire chains, fluids on drivers side,,, passenger side is all about food, cooking, water tank underneath, and odds and ends of out doors stuff.

Every thing has a place.

It only takes a few minutes too change things around when needed.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:02 PM

Bug screen duck-taped too passengers side window too slow Bears down as I reach for my bear stinger. Ha. Bears never get a second chance as I'm not early morning friendly.

One gas can at the ready as the extra is under tool bow along with water proof dry bag for out door gear and extra boots.

Food cooler and target crap on passenger side that are both easy too get at.

Every thing is always easy to get at when needed.

Kow and Donkey alway travel with me, they enjoy the easy stuff in life. Ha trouble makers at times.

We like too log on the easy miles of endless.

And take in the sights of our Americas.

I snowmobiled for yesrs, but the cost are expensive, so cheap little Quad with tracks too give Donkey, Kow and I all season riding.
8 days a week 13 months a year and 385 day till 2018.

Always something to see out doors as there is nothing on TV for me. Best big screen view is in real time.
We're all about the top of the Mountains as its the best up there.

So archery plays a role in more things to do.
Harvesting game and critters is now at the farthest thing on my list, so now I guide for my closet friends only.

Frugal assist in distance, distance travelled frugal adds to more adventures. It's like a system that pays its way of living off grid.
I've pulled off some long months in the wilds now I try to limit it too 2 too 14 day outting. That way it gives me a chance to meet folks along the way.

Good times too all as I share in different ways for others too find ideas on their own adventures. Mine is pretty frugal less the gas too go places. Others choose what works for them.

Win win no matter how one goes about taking on the wilds for longer durations at a time.

Sun rise and sun sets are the best part of our days.

Don
Old 04-12-2017, 08:52 PM

Thumbs up

The ******* is a classy touch. The cop car and the cow I question the sanity of this decision

Old 04-12-2017, 09:14 PM

Ha
It's my wild and crazy side of good times.

Today I ranged arrow spread from 10 too 40 yard too find the path of flight.

10 yards is + 4 1/2" high, 20 is -6" low, 30 yards -27" low, and 40 yards is -56" low.

Lucky I have a quick adjust scope on the Recurve Bow so I ranged those marks at zero impact at 10, 20, 30, and 40 yards,,, not doing any arrow tuning till the plunger comes in.

I can see that the arrow forward weight needs more up front. 125 grain heads are ok, but I'll try 150 gr tips when the time comes.

Rapped off 20 arrows 3 times threw the day too get anchor point and shooting forum down pat. "only working forum and thoughts.

Seen a few tricks on line too find my trigger point of release.

Whole new learning curve with these bows, they show all the bad habits I've not learned from my compound bow days.

Lots of practic too get the mind and body up to speed.

Don with photos of plan in motion too follow.

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 04-12-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:03 AM

Part 1

I seen a fellow at the archery range a week ago, it looked like he had too much on the go.

He is new too archery, and Recurve.
This alone is a learning curve,,, little lone trying to tune arrows, body anchor-point, sighting, then consider tuning arrows for the least "porpoise-ing / or fish tailing."

This is when folks that have years of Recurve Archery share in these learning curves. Vik """ suggested """ on a bow that I could manage.

Too much bow is not the place too start, it makes it hard to aim, and wears out the arms fast. Plus its hard too get into the learning body fourm that is "nice" too acquire as it will be the foundation that we will work off from that day on.
Many of us can only guess what is too much when it comes to high poundage bow limbs as one trys too pull them back, hold too anchor-point, aim and lunch.

Folks can choose what works for them if they decide on the archery idea,,, as for me,,, I'm picking the easy long road that comes at a small fraction of higher costs in the long hual.

Soft limb bow, or better known as low foot-pounds Recurve. I now totally agree with Vik on his idea as it only makes sense too get shooting forum up too speed first.
There is no such thing as good archery with-out forum...
IMO only that is.

Part 2
All Recurve Bows come with recommended arrow shift thickness and field-points too get started.
Only a few field points too get started aas arrow tuning follows at a latter point,,, porpoise-ing arrows still make it too target as they head down range. And yes that they don't make pin-hole groups like the Pro shooters do, but at least they are semi close if we start "close" too what arrow shaft and field-point too start with from the arrow chart guide-lines.

Example:
The Recurve curve bow I'm working with at this moment is 35 lbs.
Gold Tip GT 400 carbon fibre in full length supporting a 125gr tip is a good place to start.
Full length shaft can flex, and the 125gr tip adds to spine flex... A 100gr might not be enough as a 150 could be too much.

Arrow tuning comes in time, so the middle of both sides works for me at this moment.
Body forum, thought process in shooting forum along with all the thoughts too get too trigger moment when it comes together is all that I'm focusing on over the next few months now.

Arrow tuning will happen latter on as the Bow, arrows, and I are getting nice groups at 4 yards, 10, 15, 20 yards is ok, 25 yards is so-so, 30 yards is bellow average, and 40 yards is a mess. LOL.

The old saying might have some Merritt too it...

Shoot target close as it builds confidence in the mind.
I can do this as it builds up the "all" aspects of this activity.

Allowing time and patience is part of the virtue of the hands of an archer.

Don at a endless game of learning a bit more along the path of lifes paths.

Hopefully more wrong than right. Ha

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 04-13-2017 at 08:21 AM.