Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-13-2013, 07:24 PM

Default Candied pike?

Anyone ever tried this?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:12 PM

I,ve had pickled pike, it was okay. If candied pike is even remotely as good as candied salmon, then it would be good!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 PM

If I can get out this weekend I will try it and post pics.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:23 PM

It's really good stuff , I've made it in past done walleye and perch and lake trout to .
Old 02-13-2013, 10:29 PM

My buddys do it and i love it mmmmm good

David
Old 02-14-2013, 06:56 AM

Had Pike jerkey once. A freind in N. Manitoba hangs fillets out in the -30/C wind and then there freeze dried. I was surprised on how good they were My concern was does this kill any nasty's in the meat??

Dodger.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Had Pike jerkey once. A freind in N. Manitoba hangs fillets out in the -30/C wind and then there freeze dried. I was surprised on how good they were My concern was does this kill any nasty's in the meat??

Dodger.
Good question - I think generally speaking you can kill "the nasty" bacteria through chemicals, tempurature (deep freezing or cooking) or dehidration.

I'm not sure how cold (frozen) something has to be before bacteria is killed - good question.

One good way to find out is eat allot of it and see what happens.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post

Dodger.
freezing does NOT kill or destroy bacteria or "nasties" only temperature in the terms of HEAT will. do a quick google search and youll see. that being said, it didnt kill ya now did it?!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:53 AM

anyone want to share their recipe?
(sounds tasty)
Old 02-14-2013, 09:55 AM

Seen recipies for other candied fish walleye was good. does anyone have a specific one fir pike?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike_king780 View Post
freezing does NOT kill or destroy bacteria or "nasties" only temperature in the terms of HEAT will. do a quick google search and youll see. that being said, it didnt kill ya now did it?!
You are wrong, however -30C is likely not cold enough. Though, the UV outside might do the trick at those temperatures.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:18 AM

"The only concern any inspectors have is referred to as the parasite destruction guarantee, which is accomplished by ‘freezing and storing seafood at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (total time), or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -31°F (-35°C) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 24 hours’ which is sufficient to kill parasites..."
Old 02-14-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
anyone want to share their recipe?
(sounds tasty)
I use this...

1 cup soya sauce
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup water

I usually do one pike a year this way, and I usually do it with a 7-10lb pike. I fillet them and if the fillets are real thick I will cut them in half length ways. I try to keep the meat about 1/2" or so thick, as I found it smokes more consistently. When I first tried it I didn't, and the thinner portions of the fillet would be leather, and the thicker stuff would be mushy.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:42 PM

Bacteria goes into a state of suspended animation when frozen. It won't grow, but doesn't necessarily die. Some bacteria may be damaged and the population could take a little bit of time to recover when thawed, but it is not normally wiped out.

Freezing may kill some of the present forms of bacteria. But for the most part, bacteria may simply freeze the growth state and then continue to grow once food has been thawed. A perfect and well known example of bacteria that cannot be killed through freezing is Salmonella.

Some bacteria ( unwanted as well as wanted) will survive. That is because their "population" inside is quite huge to begin with. But they will find the going really tough - until the food is thawed ! But once thawed they will multiply quickly to recover populations. In fact this new generation ( according to Charles Darwin) will have more "freeze-hardy" bacteria among them !

Bacteria have been known to grow in extremely hostile conditions elsewhere on earth. Your frozen food hardly nears the "extreme" conditions they are known to survive in.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:13 PM

Well if I remember right - The wind factor was just as important as the cold temp for the freeze drying the Pike fillets.

Also, I must apologize to the OP for getting off topic on the " Candied Pike ". It just brought back an old memory from some very dusty areas up stairs in the old grey matter.

Dodger.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:55 PM

1 liter warm water
just under a 1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
just over 1/2 cup corn syrup
1 tbs crushed garlic
2 tbs onion powder
30ml artificial maple extract

soak in brine about 12 hours
rinse in cold water and pat dry with paper towel
let stand/dry on counter for 1 hour
2 pans of chips in little chief smoker
glaze with honey
bake @ 275 F for 40-50min in oven

result
smoked/candied fish thats more addictive than Heroin

Found this:Going to try it this weekend Thanks for the post Billycap hope you dont mind me forwarding your recipe

Brent