Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-29-2017, 10:02 PM
Banned

Default New Rod for my son

We didn't get out last year due to time constraint and me working out of town for the majority of the year. But the year before that my son decided that he loved fly fishing. With the help of a few GREAT members on these forums, we got him set up with the reel and he used one of my rods. At that time I started talking with my dad who has been assembling rods about 40 years. It has never been professional, he has not once taken a dime for it but he has build a little over 30 of them. He doesn't know the exact count as he has never kept track but has built over a dozen different one for his uncle

A little over a year ago I meet up with my dad at the fly fishing shop and we start going through the building supplies they have. We get all the eyelets, the reel seat, the thread, and the cork. He already had a rod blank. Picking out the cork turned out to be the hardest decision of the whole process.

It's a little tough to tell but there is natural, green, and blue cork in there.

The thing that got my dad building his own rods was always the cork grips. They are to skinny from the factory. My dad is a tradesman, a carpenter to be exact. He had been holding a hammer as early as he could remember, helping my grandfather around the house at an early age. Re-roofing, decks, patios, basements, etc, just whatever needed to be done. Trying to go from a hammer to a skinny fly rod gave him cramps so he did his own thing with them. That's why this grip has such an odd, but very comfortable grip on it.

This is the kind of thing that gives me goosebumps. My son has a rod built for him by my father, and I don't even have one!
I'm not sure what brand the blank is but it's a 5 weight. Hopefully tomorrow we'll get out to the field to practice a bit.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:16 PM

Nice looking rod. I'm sure it will bring him lots of memories and fish.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry.S View Post
Nice looking rod. I'm sure it will bring him lots of memories and fish.
We're hoping so.

Another thing I forgot to mention was that on all of the other rods that he has ever built you could any color combination on the thread that you want as long as it is red or blue. This is the first custom" color scheme. Lol.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:43 PM

that is really cool. a little bit of a legacy left by grandpa as your son begins fly fishing. I bet your son will have that rod for the rest of his life.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:59 PM
Banned

I'm really hoping he does. I have a rod built by him but it was one of the first he built and not built for me. I have been offered $3000 for it. My dad told me I was crazy for not selling it, lol.

By the way CraigJ, did you used to play around with RC stuff?
Old 04-30-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
By the way CraigJ, did you used to play around with RC stuff?
No. I always wanted to but never did.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:06 PM
Banned

In one of the RC forums, 8-10 years ago, there was a guy who used the same name.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:44 AM
Banned

One thing I would like to do with this rod is get some stenciling done and then coated so it doesn't wear off. We don't know the brand of the rod but I'd like some other info put on there. Does anyone know of anyone that can do that within the Calgary area? My Dad wouldn't do that because his writing isn't so great.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:08 AM
Banned

We wen out yesterday and got to put line into water. I tried it out and I really liked it (as a beginner fly fisher in all reality). We need to work on casting quite a bit but we both had fun. Hopefully we can get out a bunch more soon.