Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2017, 01:27 PM

Exclamation Rusty tools on boats- I have found THE answer!

I have tried several ways to remove rust in the past, but just found the magic potion. For only $24.99 I will tell you how to rid...

nah, just kidding.

I took some Home Hardware brand CLR and put it in a tennis balls sleeve, soaked everything I could find with rust and it is gone. I have never found a product that actually does what it claims to this percentage.
I had a couple sets of 'professional' wrenches in SAE and Metric that I was sure were going to be thrown out, but overnight in the sleeve and wiped with a rag they are nothing short of new.
Totally seized needle nose pliars now fall open and closed by tipping them over. I had to use 'snipes' to break them loose before the soak. I tried a varsol soak before CLR, did nothing at all. Splash and soak and rinse with WD40, still very hard to move, but in CLR they are factory fresh.

I just started another 'bath', this one a margarine container. I filled it with old sockets, screwdriver bits, a couple very rusty carabiners, and they all came out like new. Amazing stuff.

Just thought some of you might enjoy this little tip.

Now, I have to find a way to prevent rust. Fill the boxes with oil? I bought some great boxes from Can Tire that were on sale, maybe a rag soaked in wd40 on the bottom that they lay on?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-23-2017, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the tip
Old 07-23-2017, 01:40 PM

I find WD40 next to useless for preventing rust.

I use Fluid Film. Seems to work pretty well.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:42 PM

Evaporust does the same thing. Just costs twice as much.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:43 PM

I found a bit of diesel on the tools will help prevent rust
Old 07-23-2017, 01:51 PM

Good to know. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
I found a bit of diesel on the tools will help prevent rust
I have used this as well. We take the drive chains off our seed drill after spring work is done and store them in a pail of diesel. Effectively eliminates rust from forming.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:21 PM

Thanks Ken, before our move I found an old but almost brand new tool set full of rust, I tried soaking them in diesel for a few days and they came out almost as bad as before I did this, I'll try your tip buddy...
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 07-23-2017, 02:48 PM
Banned

I wonder how it would work on vehicles?
Old 07-23-2017, 02:50 PM

I was under the impression that nothing rusts anymore under a Trudeau and Notley government....? Didn't you all get the memo? Sunny ways keeps tools dry and rust free. And the carbon tax will fix everything Mother Nature dishes out, including rust. Seems like you all are living in the past, trying to fix rusted tools that really aren't. And the idea of using WD-40 and diesel to fix anything? Where is the new environmental responsibility and Green Initiative?? You guys are dinosaurs. Just saying.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-23-2017, 02:50 PM

It worked great. You just saved me from throwing out three pairs of needle nosed pliers now that I'm storing the boat for the season. Thanks !
Old 07-23-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
It worked great. You just saved me from throwing out three pairs of needle nosed pliers now that I'm storing the boat for the season. Thanks !
right on. leave them soaking for 24 hours then look!

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-23-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I was under the impression that nothing rusts anymore under a Trudeau and Notley government....? Didn't you all get the memo? Sunny ways keeps tools dry and rust free. And the carbon tax will fix everything Mother Nature dishes out, including rust. Seems like you all are living in the past, trying to fix rusted tools that really aren't. And the idea of using WD-40 and diesel to fix anything? Where is the new environmental responsibility and Green Initiative?? You guys are dinosaurs. Just saying.
There's no subject that you guys won't crowbar this retoric into is there?

Yeah it does work great Ken. I wipe the tools on my boat with 3 in 1 then store. Seems to work.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I wonder how it would work on vehicles?
Diesel or CLR?
Old 07-23-2017, 03:20 PM

I have never seen anything rust like on boats. Holy hell. I bought a new macerator pump and bilge pump last year, both are frozen solid. Done, buried, morfius D. Tools, even though I am careful, turn into rust in days. Pliars and filet knives are the worst. I tell the guys to rinse the knives in fresh water, but that never happens, they get splashed into the ocean and wiped on the jeans. I do it too.
I bought one of those cool little folding filetting tables from Princess auto, and the drain nut was wrecked in 1 season. Froze solid, now I have no cool drain that I can put anywhere I want, it is a big mess again.
Saltwater is the devil on steel. Even stainless.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
There's no subject that you guys won't crowbar this retoric into is there?
I dunno 'bout rhetoric, but if I can get a rise out of you being a smart ass, that's fun.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-23-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I have never seen anything rust like on boats. Holy hell. I bought a new macerator pump and bilge pump last year, both are frozen solid. Done, buried, morfius D. Tools, even though I am careful, turn into rust in days. Pliars and filet knives are the worst. I tell the guys to rinse the knives in fresh water, but that never happens, they get splashed into the ocean and wiped on the jeans. I do it too.
I bought one of those cool little folding filetting tables from Princess auto, and the drain nut was wrecked in 1 season. Froze solid, now I have no cool drain that I can put anywhere I want, it is a big mess again.
Saltwater is the devil on steel. Even stainless.
Unless you own the equipment and have to buy and service it yourself , you really don't understand how fast saltwater ruins equipment. I've always rinsed after every trip out but even that doesn't fix the problem.
CLR is my new best friend ! ( if I could only soak my brakes!)
Old 07-23-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
I find WD40 next to useless for preventing rust.

I use Fluid Film. Seems to work pretty well.
Yup fluid Film has stopped the rust on my truck completely. I just apply some every three months or so. It seems to cling and crawl every where. Getting in behind the rust on the rockers etc. and spraying works.
I also wipe all my tools with a rag soaked with Fluid Film.
Great stuff. It will break loose rusted bolts and such that WD wont touch.
Just hear say that they use it in the Potash mines. Apparently they spray it on everything there. Dont quote me might not be so but it is good stuff.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfng View Post
diesel or clr?
clr
Old 07-23-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
clr
Don't know. Diesel and ATF mixed makes a good rust preventer when sprayed under vehicles.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
Don't know. Diesel and ATF mixed makes a good rust preventer when sprayed under vehicles.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-23-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I dunno 'bout rhetoric, but if I can get a rise out of you being a smart ass, that's fun.
Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of smartassery and sarcasm. I'm just tired of the same political post being crowbarred into every thread.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Yup fluid Film has stopped the rust on my truck completely. I just apply some every three months or so. It seems to cling and crawl every where. Getting in behind the rust on the rockers etc. and spraying works.
Just hear say that they use it in the Potash mines. Apparently they spray it on everything there. Dont quote me might not be so but it is good stuff.
I've never heard of it. I'll be checking it out though thanks.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:25 PM

I wonder if I guy put some CLR in a spray bottle if it would work to loosen up rusted nuts or seized bolts?

I'm going to have to try this.

Thanks for the great tip Ken.

BW
Old 07-23-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I wonder if I guy put some CLR in a spray bottle if it would work to loosen up rusted nuts or seized bolts?
I'm going to have to try this.
Thanks for the great tip Ken.
BW
You are very welcome!
That's a good idea too, I may do that when I go to change my exhaust manifold!
You see a change right away, but to really remove all the rust it needs a good soak.
The reason I used CLR from Home Depot was a buddy telling me it is what he does when he takes his boat out of the ocean. Let the boat dry then spray on CLR with a weed sprayer. Then he does nothing at all, it it turns the hull white again.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:52 AM

Clr is good stuff ...Ive used a 50/50 split water and vinegar on rusty traps and it works very well also
Old 07-24-2017, 09:57 AM

I have quite a few rusty cookie sheets that I use in my freezer for laying out fish to individually freeze before vacuum packing.

Perhaps I will add CLR to my dishwasher on a 4 1/2 hour powerwash cycle after it fills, rinses, drains and refills and wash the entire lot of cookie sheets in one pass.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:34 PM

Default CLR kicked up a notch

CLR is basically watered down Muriatic Acid (HCL). I've used Muriatic Acid before (heavy caution here) to clean rust out of my Volvo Penta exhaust manifold...worked great! You can find 20% Muriatic acid at your local Canadian Tire but be aware that this is not something you want to get on anything as it is in a much higher concentration.

Link: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ro...-0491064p.html

Remember to add acid to water and not water to acid (high exothermic reaction).
Old 07-24-2017, 01:08 PM

Ken

Good tip on the CLR.

If you want to keep tools from rusting wax them with Renaissance wax. Apply one coat, let dry, buff off. Apply second coat. Leave un-buffed. They will last a LONG time without rusting. If you use them, re-wax.

Lee Valley used to carry a similar wax that works as good but I don't think they carry it anymore. Works on chisels, table saw tops etc in the shop to keep the untreated steel from rusting.

As far as stuff you can't wax;

CorrosionPro Lube by West Marinne -

This product does what it claims. The waxy film isn’t the most appealing but for hard-to-reach parts, it’s probably the best choice.

Simiilar product that works as well CRC Heavy-Duty Corrosion Inhibitor,
Old 07-24-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Never tried this one. Where do you get it?