Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2017, 11:45 AM

Default Selling a truck into the States- anyone done this?

I was tossing around the idea of selling my truck and going new, it is a 2012 F350 SRW Lariat full load leather nav with 80km. I was offered $40,000 trade on a $85,000 Lariat, they dropped the price to $68,000 so about $28,000 difference.
I bought my Corvette new from the states through a broker, but have not sold South.
I know it is not the exact right time with our dollar gaining strength, .10c on $40,000 is huge.
Does anyone have any contacts for doing this?
The dealers here are just begging for low mileage trade-ins, told me themselves that it will go straight South, so why not just do it myself?
I might just head South and see what I can get on trade, take a pocket full of cash. I would prefer to buy here though, less headache and the Broker charged me $5000 last time.
That was before I found out how easy it is to bring one North.
Anyone sell vehicles South?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-23-2017, 06:21 PM

you would need to import the truck into the state's thru a broker. Some of the US buyers have to wait 30 days before they can ship from Canada to US. Save you're self the hassle. List it on Kijiji and let them buy it off you up here. Just my suggestion.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:41 PM

Try even contacting large used vehicle dealerships in the United States and ask them if they would be interested in buying your vehicle directly off of you. Most likely use various brokers as well, but some large volume dealers might be doing it themselves.

I used to have a number for a guy who was a truck broker for selling them to the States. I met him off of Kijiji while buying something unrelated, and when I drove up to meet him he took one look at my Duramax and offered to buy it for cash on the spot, and for good coin too. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find his number now or I would forward it to you.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:44 PM

Just advertise it and hold out for a US buyer. I highly doubt you need a broker. I bought two boats in the US without a broker. Buying/selling a vehicle only takes a few more hoops. My dad sold one yrs ago to the US. The buyer gave dad the money and did the border details himself. You could call Cdn Customs to get clarity. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Just advertise it and hold out for a US buyer. I highly doubt you need a broker. I bought two boats in the US without a broker. Buying/selling a vehicle only takes a few more hoops. My dad sold one yrs ago to the US. The buyer gave dad the money and did the border details himself. You could call Cdn Customs to get clarity. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From what I'm told, a United States resident purchasing a Canadian vehicle out of Canada is a lot different from a Canadian buying a vehicle out of the United States. First off, to register a vehicle in Canada all you need is valid insurance, an OOP inspection, and a bill of sale. In the United States, you need to do all of that (although the inspection may depend on the State), as well as you must go through the State DMV to apply for a title, and with that the odometer and speedo must be changed to miles (is what I'm told). On top of that, US Border Customs is often more strict than Canadian, which can create issue when importing into the US.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:54 AM

I see truck loads of used trucks leaving Calgary and heading for the states. Do they know something that we do not know. If you go to a dealer they will sometimes tell you that the used inventory is low as most of the used trucks have went state side. I wonder if you talked to a few dealers and see if they would give you the low down on sending trucks south.