Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2017, 10:26 AM
Banned

Default The tiny home trend

This has got to be one of the weirdest things going yet. I will never understand why someone would want to fork over a single penny for these overpriced and inefficient campers.

https://ca.style.yahoo.com/people-se...162711067.html

Quote:
Between their efficient organization and streamlined design, tiny houses have totally taken over on TV and social media in the past few years. The idea of scaling back on belongings (as well as mortgage payments) is certainly appealing. But how many people could-or would-be able to actually live in 400 square feet? Not many, according to a recent report by Trulia.

The online real estate resource polled more than 2,264 U.S. adults about what they wish they had done differently with their current housing. A whopping 44 percent of participants had housing regrets, and the biggest regret among homeowners had to do with size. One in three homeowners said they wish they had chosen a larger home, compared to only nine percent who wished they had downsized.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:50 AM

Thumbs up Tiny Homes

Truth be known, Tiny Homes have been around for a long time, and are 'not' really a new trend .

They may not be for you, and they may not be for me, but they work quite well for some others.

To each, their own!

Selkirk
Old 07-23-2017, 10:58 AM

Starting young.

http://www.zerohedge.com/print/600295

Sent from my iPad
Old 07-23-2017, 11:06 AM

Doesn't come at much of a surprise. With the exception of those who truly do enjoy living with the bare essentials, tiny houses are nothing more than a Buzzfeed-grandeur illusion. Trend passes and those who are impulsive enough to commit to something like this wind up regretting it. Shocker.

That said, I do think tiny houses were a sort of step in the right direction, but the issue is that it's too much of an extreme. How many people have completely swamped themselves financially because they insist on having some 2500+ sq ft house that they then feel the constant need to buy more crap just to fill it up? Learning to live with a little less space and a little less stuff would likely do most people good, financially or otherwise.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Doesn't come at much of a surprise. With the exception of those who truly do enjoy living with the bare essentials, tiny houses are nothing more than a Buzzfeed-grandeur illusion. Trend passes and those who are impulsive enough to commit to something like this wind up regretting it. Shocker.

That said, I do think tiny houses were a sort of step in the right direction, but the issue is that it's too much of an extreme. How many people have completely swamped themselves financially because they insist on having some 2500+ sq ft house that they then feel the constant need to buy more crap just to fill it up? Learning to live with a little less space and a little less stuff would likely do most people good, financially or otherwise.
I agree completely. The concept is sound, i.e. less materialism, but these homes are by no means simple or economical.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:49 AM

Arrow . ~ 400 square feet -

I always have a good chuckle when someone declares that tiny homes are a New Idea
Old 07-23-2017, 11:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
Truth be known, Tiny Homes have been around for a long time, and are 'not' really a new trend .

They may not be for you, and they may not be for me, but they work quite well for some others.

To each, their own!

Selkirk
Yup live and let live, as long as they are good people so be it, shouldn't run down another's way of life just because...

Like I said as along as you are a good law abiding person carry on!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-23-2017, 12:08 PM

With the kids gone, I'd have no issue living in a 500-600 sq. ft home, I'd want a minimum 40'x60' shop with hoist, runnung water, though.....
Old 07-23-2017, 12:15 PM

Odd article, poll random home owners and draw conclusions regarding a very particular subset of home owners. Might as well have a headline "People are seriously regretting buying mansions" because based on this poll of average homeowners, the mansions are too small.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:20 PM

Mansions seem to be the other face of this "trend" . pretty sad when we're reduced to living in a gypsy caravan, cause housing is so expensive.

Grizz
Old 07-23-2017, 12:27 PM

I've thought about the idea that someone could buy a piece of land, and build a moderately sized house out of insulated shipping containers as a starter home. That would be a bit bigger than a tiny home, but when the person or people are ready, they could build another house on the land, and haul the shipping containers away, or repurpose them. One could then get a starter home for $20k-$45k plus the cost of the land.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:31 PM

Default Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
With the kids gone, I'd have no issue living in a 500-600 sq. ft home, I'd want a minimum 40'x60' shop with hoist, runnung water, though.....
I would downsize when the kids are gone but like you I would want a big shop.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:00 PM

Default Tiny home

My younger Brother lives in a silverstream trailer that is winterized for the BC climate. He has lived in it since is was 12 and now is in his mid thirties. Lives completely off grid.
He never once dreamed of owing a bigger house and is happy with his house.

like what was said before it may be for some and not others.

only has me wishing, that's my retirement home right there.
Off grid, cozy home. just me, my wife, land for bushcrafting and growing my own food, and a "tiny home".
May it come sooner rather than later.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:18 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yup live and let live, as long as they are good people so be it, shouldn't run down another's way of life just because...

Like I said as along as you are a good law abiding person carry on!
My son took an old 1970's 36ft vacation trailer ... gutted it down to the sticks and completely rebuilt it (insulation, wood burning stove, etc. ...). He basically turned it into a cabin / tiny home. He's lived in it (off grid) for almost three years now, and still happy with it. He only pays $350/mo in rent to have it on 3 acres of forested private land.

Someday he says he'll build a 'real' house on his own land, but for now he's saving up his money, and enjoying the low-cost living.

Selkirk

Last edited by Selkirk; 07-23-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Heck with the dinky house, I rather have a good sized shop with living quarters built in.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:56 PM

Seems like society is rebelling from the trend where everybody thinks that they need 3000 square feet and a bathroom for each occupant.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:36 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Seems like society is rebelling from the trend where everybody thinks that they need 3000 square feet and a bathroom for each occupant.
But you're going to upset the very sensitive "Bigger Is Better" crowd
Old 07-23-2017, 06:43 PM

My younger brother has been building one on a trailer frame and its mostly complete, though it will be rustic. The exterior looks quite nice though personally I'd have started with a better frame. I've only seen it in Facebook construction progress shots rather than in person, but I'd take it camping in a heartbeat. He's a wanderer type and has been a bit of a gypsy for the last few years so it suits his persona. I think he picked up on the trend while he was in Vancouver associating with the free spirits and hipsters out that way.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:05 PM

I've been considering building one in a seacan to use until I can build a cabin at the lake.

I think some of the biggest advantages would be better security, mouse proof, warmer and cheaper(?) than a 5th wheel.

A one trip can with doors in both ends is $5000. Obviously it will take additional money to make it liveable.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:27 PM

Thumbs up Tiny Houses

And to think that the original intent of this thread (post #1) was to bash the whole idea!

Guess that didn't work out!
Old 07-23-2017, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Bought our house 20 years ago...an older home, 1100sq.ft.
I remember how many people at work and such would tell us how it was a nice 'starter' home till we could get something bigger.
20 years and two teenage boys later it is still plenty big enough.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
And to think that the original intent of this thread (post #1) was to bash the whole idea!

Guess that didn't work out!
The idea of being thrifty and economical is sound. Being thrifty and economical because it is trendy is not sound.

Yes I am bashing the tiny home "trend". My intent was not to make fun of people who are truly thrifty and economical.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Bought our house 20 years ago...an older home, 1100sq.ft.
I remember how many people at work and such would tell us how it was a nice 'starter' home till we could get something bigger.
20 years and two teenage boys later it is still plenty big enough.

My mother-in-law and her late husband raised my wife and her 3 siblings in a house that's about 750 square feet. They dug a full basement under the old farmhouse around which a 1950's Calgary neighborhood sprouted. She lives there to this day.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:38 PM

I've watched a couple of these small house shows. The fat lady or the young hippy are looking to downsize. Ok that's fine. Then they want full sized appliances, lots of storage and yadaya... and also expect a normal person with a truck to locate it on some land that they want to squat on. At least just buy a truck, buy a travel trailer (which will be nicer) and go and exist. Possibly buy some land and squat there.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:23 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Heck with the dinky house, I rather have a good sized shop with living quarters built in.
We think alike !
Old 07-24-2017, 09:25 AM

I think the current "tiny home" trend you see on TV is a bit too much, but I've often wondered why they don't start building smaller homes and apartments that would be affordable for lower income people. Heck, my wife and I both grew up in homes well under 1000 square feet. My grandfather lived in a very small one or two bedroom home. That would be a step up for many people. Or build apartments that are all bachelor suites for low income singles.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:09 PM

I just bought a 1200 sf house, 3br 1 ba and I am turning the detached 1 car garage into an appartment (320 sf) that the wife and I intend on moving in to.

I have 3 dogs and like I said, myself and the wife. We currently do not use all of our 1200 sf house, we pretty much just use the kitchen, bedroom, couch and bathroom. The other two bedrooms get used for some storage, but otherwise we do not go in them.

My plan was to rent out the main house, hopefully short term like Air BnB or VROB to offset the mortgage. If I could live in 300 sf mortgage free as opposed to 1200 sf while making a mortgage payment, that will have a significant impact on the quality of life that I am able to provide my family with my income.

I think the ability to live mortgage free is the biggest attraction for the tiny house movement, but at the same time I think the tiny house movement is also a pretty big warning in regards to what people can actually afford versus being heavily indebted most of their lives in the current market.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck duck goose View Post
I just bought a 1200 sf house, 3br 1 ba and I am turning the detached 1 car garage into an appartment (320 sf) that the wife and I intend on moving in to.

I have 3 dogs and like I said, myself and the wife. We currently do not use all of our 1200 sf house, we pretty much just use the kitchen, bedroom, couch and bathroom. The other two bedrooms get used for some storage, but otherwise we do not go in them.

My plan was to rent out the main house, hopefully short term like Air BnB or VROB to offset the mortgage. If I could live in 300 sf mortgage free as opposed to 1200 sf while making a mortgage payment, that will have a significant impact on the quality of life that I am able to provide my family with my income.

I think the ability to live mortgage free is the biggest attraction for the tiny house movement, but at the same time I think the tiny house movement is also a pretty big warning in regards to what people can actually afford versus being heavily indebted most of their lives in the current market.
Sounds like a good plan if you are comfortable. Can you do that in Airdrie zoning-wise? Might not be making any friends with the neighbours with your house being a hotel. We have a neighbor who does the AirB&B thing, but only periodically, and it's been no hassle so far, except people are clueless about when to take the garbage to the curb. LOL
Old 07-24-2017, 12:48 PM

It's a bit extreme and pricey extreme, that is why it is highly advertised. But I like the idea of small starting/low-income houses.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Sounds like a good plan if you are comfortable. Can you do that in Airdrie zoning-wise? Might not be making any friends with the neighbours with your house being a hotel. We have a neighbor who does the AirB&B thing, but only periodically, and it's been no hassle so far, except people are clueless about when to take the garbage to the curb. LOL
I live in Phoenix now, just haven't updated my bio on here in a while haha. My house is zoned R3-5 so I could have up to 5 rental units on the property if I could make them fit, and the city has some pretty reasonable laws to accommodate things like Air BnB. I don't think it will be a problem because I will still be directly onsite to supervise things, And I try to take care of my neighbors when given the chance in the hopes of earning some mutual leniency for various things that I do, like having barking dogs or a rental property, so far it has served me well.