Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2017, 07:49 PM

I have a neighbor who is involved in energy finance, he was noting its difficult to attract foreign/ US investors (he just moved here from Houston) with the current provincial government. I don't think the current Federal Gov't is much of a hindrance to the US business community as they have governed previously and they know at least enough not to burn every bridge set before them. The NDP seems to burn every big business bridge they lay eyes upon, as though we can somehow create an economy with only coffee shops, alternative energy and organic farms.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytchtyts View Post
Where did you get this information? Last I checked transmountain was a federal issue and had been approved by Trudeau's government. BC can do nothing to truly stop it.
In a utopian ideal yes. You are correct. In this day and age no. The Canadian government does nothing to stop foreign protesters access into Canada. Protestors paid by the Rockefellers.

BC NDP will do everything to delay. Will support and back protests.

Protests become vicious and prevent Canada getting our oil out who thinks Trudeau has the nards to back it up with troops?

All we can do is tariff or study impacts on BC business moving through Alberta.

Delay approval for safety reasons.

Large tree absorb more CO2 than poorly planted seedlings. Higher CO2 is making BC forests grow faster.

BC is profiting off global warming so they should give that all back.

It will be fun times ahead.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-23-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
So in your mind, what has had a greater impact, the price of oil or the current government?
Price of oil totally. Problems made only worse by the NDP.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-23-2017, 10:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Only government jobs count?

What about the hundreds of thousands of TAXPAYING private sector jobs created under the framework built by the Conservatives? Actual wealth creation, not destruction at the hands of government and useless bureaucrats.

Always nice when a new troll joins the board, how have you been Edmhunter?

TROLL ? , WHY , because you don't agree with me ,
Old 07-23-2017, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Spoken like someone who can't rationalize, spell or punctuate particularly well. I've highlighted some helpful corrections for you; some comma's had to come out entirely, so those don't show up in highlight. 15 corrections in total and that's only regarding the writing, never mind the content!

I'll point out that the only jobs the government can directly cut are government jobs, the NDP have managed to kill PUBLIC SECTOR jobs indirectly through bad policies though, on the other hand I'll grant you that they have massively increased government jobs without improving services noticeably. These new jobs require higher taxes from the few left working and high amounts of debt carried into the future (my 9 year old son and his classmates will be paying the interest on the NDP's screw-ups). Their killing off of public sector jobs through bad policy, excessive taxes creates an environment that does not attract investment, be it local or foreign. Heck, they can't even run the energy efficiency rebate program efficiently, which is especially ironic.

The Cancer Centre you speak of was proposed by the Klein government, then announced by Redford but scaled back by Prentice when the PC's were in office, so Notley has only re-committed to what they started. Sorry, no brownie points for the NDP there as the project was just a baton handed off to them to run with.

You speak as though the PC's have never paved a road in their lives. Stoney Trail in Calgary was built under the PC's and the legislative nightmare leg of it through the Tsuu T'ina reserve was organized and approved under the PC's (and happily so, it was expensive enough under the PC's, just imagine what the NDP would have committed to paying them?). If you've ever driven through Sask during NDP rule there you'd remember how crappy the roads were under them, I've noticed a marked improvement in my last trips there, though there is still a way to go with many of their secondary roads.

By the way, one does not 'give out' tax dollars. Those dollars are the taxpayers in the first place, at least those of us who work and contribute to society, whose taxes support those on government assistance such as AISH. Money does not grow on trees, and most of the NDP voting base does not realize that the government cannot simply conjure up money, instead they are conjuring up colossal debt.

So l see your an English teacher too , good for you.

l never said that tax dollars were anything but our money in the first place , l said she is giving our tax money back to us in the form of social programs and infrastructure dollars , not shipping it overseas for investments in China , then pocketing the interest for themselves , like your buddy TORYS do.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:14 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by billhunter View Post

l never said that tax dollars were anything but our money in the first place , l said she is giving our tax money back to us in the form of social programs and infrastructure dollars , not shipping it overseas for investments in China , then pocketing the interest for themselves , like your buddy TORYS do.
And there it is folks!!!!!

Isn't that the same thing you said in your last post before you were banned yet again ? LOLOLOL.

Does anyone know the record for being banned on AO?
I think we have a contenda. lol

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-24-2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:

That's rich! Got any more fairy tales to share with us?
Old 07-24-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRick View Post
The whole system is flawed.

How many voters are DOUBLE PARTY CARD holders. I'd wager the vast majority of all voters.
I was a member of both since the last election I registered with the PC's but, didn't get a PIN. Went to their office in Red Deer on Sat and they phoned somewhere and gave me a PIN. I then voted right there.

However, the Wildrose was different. I never received a PIN. and on Fri night it said on their website, that if you didn't receive a PIN by Fri afternoon to call or email them. I did and still did not receive a PIN before the vote deadline. My neighbour had the same problem with Wildrose. Kept phoning the Innisfail/Sylvan Lake office the previous week and was told the number was no longer in service. A friend from Red Deer tried to contact Wildrose several times and received the same msg. That's 3 that tried to vote but, didn't. How many others were in the same boat? Also, most Wildrose members are rural and many may have been haying on Sat.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:24 AM

Looks like the big winner will be Greg Clark and the Alberta Party.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
Looks like the big winner will be Greg Clark and the Alberta Party.
Will it be wise for the Alberta Party to become viable and split votes once again, giving the NDP a second term?
Old 07-24-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Did the Torys do anything for the people ,NO , all they ever did was make the rich richer and the poor poorer , by cutting jobs to balance their budjet and make them selfs look good.

Rachel is giving out tax dollars back in the form of health care , schools , roads , and a multi million dollar cancer centre , which we need.
Rachel has done more for us then any Tory or Wildweed millionaire , in her short term of office , compared to the Torys long years of crookd politics.

What colour is the sky in your world, Bill?
Old 07-24-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Borrowed money is not tax dollars. All though our kids get to pay it back.

"This year (2017-18), even though the recession is over, annual debt accumulation will actually increase. Specifically, the government forecasts it will add $13.6 billion in debt this year. And because the government relied on optimistic oil price assumptions, which so far are not coming to pass, the provincial deficit and amount of new debt added this year may well be even bigger."

http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/c...mal-in-alberta

As for China, do some research.

http://calgaryherald.com/storyline/a...el-notley-said
Old 07-24-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Will it be wise for the Alberta Party to become viable and split votes once again, giving the NDP a second term?
If you're asking me, specifically, I'll say "Yes".

WRT the wisdom of the right side of the political spectrum in Alberta, there are now 2 flavours to choose from, rather than 3, a week ago. Vote splitting is still a big risk.

If you're advising the Alberta Party to fold, I disagree with your advice, as I think people need choices.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
If you're asking me, specifically, I'll say "Yes".

WRT the wisdom of the right side of the political spectrum in Alberta, there are now 2 flavours to choose from, rather than 3, a week ago. Vote splitting is still a big risk.

If you're advising the Alberta Party to fold, I disagree with your advice, as I think people need choices.
I agree, people need choices. I am not implying that the Alberta Party fold, I am implying that it will be better to vote strategically than to vote your conscience this next election. We cannot afford 4 more years of the NDP.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
I was a member of both since the last election I registered with the PC's but, didn't get a PIN. Went to their office in Red Deer on Sat and they phoned somewhere and gave me a PIN. I then voted right there.

However, the Wildrose was different. I never received a PIN. and on Fri night it said on their website, that if you didn't receive a PIN by Fri afternoon to call or email them. I did and still did not receive a PIN before the vote deadline. My neighbour had the same problem with Wildrose. Kept phoning the Innisfail/Sylvan Lake office the previous week and was told the number was no longer in service. A friend from Red Deer tried to contact Wildrose several times and received the same msg. That's 3 that tried to vote but, didn't. How many others were in the same boat? Also, most Wildrose members are rural and many may have been haying on Sat.
My PIN disappeared so had to call in. Took some time but it wasn't a big issue, it wouldn't have been an issue at all if I hadn't lost the pin. I voted from an iPad in the swather when the pin came through.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 07-24-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I think they potentiate each other. We would have seen layoffs regardless, but with the NDP in power the lay offs are substantially higher then they need to be. Also our government spending is out of control. This isn't mentioning the attack on parents rights to choose their childrens education, the attack on farmers after promising to consult, and the attack on poor Albertans in the form of a Carbon Tax.
The company i work for is about 6.8 billion dollars shorter on revenue per year due to a 50$ reduction in price per barrel of oil.

They have cut about 5-6 billion in capex. They are still approving projects and building things here and there as the money comes in.

The only reason they arent building more stuff is because the revenue just isnt there, not like they are hoarding money or spending it elsewhere. What money they do get they are spending on stuff though. Its just not very dramatic spending when producing heavy oil is expensive and the oil price is in the gutter.

Alberta is a high cost basin. Especially the heavy oil side/mining. Companies are spending 15-43$ per barrel to extract and process oil that is worth 35-45$ per barrel. When the oil price was one hundred dollars the 85-57$ per barrel extra revenue on top of production costsis hundreds even thousands of percents more money tocover everything else besides production and processing.

Syncrude needs 43$ to make oil flow that leaves 2-3 $ left over... when oil is 95$ that was 2500% more money than they get right now to play with.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79ford View Post
The company i work for is about 6.8 billion dollars shorter on revenue per year due to a 50$ reduction in price per barrel of oil.

They have cut about 5-6 billion in capex. They are still approving projects and building things here and there as the money comes in.

The only reason they arent building more stuff is because the revenue just isnt there, not like they are hoarding money or spending it elsewhere. What money they do get they are spending on stuff though. Its just not very dramatic spending when producing heavy oil is expensive and the oil price is in the gutter.

Alberta is a high cost basin. Especially the heavy oil side/mining. Companies are spending 15-43$ per barrel to extract and process oil that is worth 35-45$ per barrel. When the oil price was one hundred dollars the 85-57$ per barrel extra revenue on top of production costsis hundreds even thousands of percents more money tocover everything else besides production and processing.

Syncrude needs 43$ to make oil flow that leaves 2-3 $ left over... when oil is 95$ that was 2500% more money than they get right now to play with.
6.8 billion dollars shorter on revenue? Be curious to know how much this company paid with the 20% increase in corporate taxes along with the Carbon tax.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
I agree, people need choices. I am not implying that the Alberta Party fold, I am implying that it will be better to vote strategically than to vote your conscience this next election. We cannot afford 4 more years of the NDP.
I'm confused by the term 'Vote strategically"

How exactly does one do this?

Do you talk to your neighbours and their wives etc and vote as a block instead of individually?

Any time I've seen this plan touted. it ended in a cluster......of undesired results and consequences.

I'm not trying to be obtuse, but please explain the process to me.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

Do you talk to your neighbours and their wives etc and vote as a block instead of individually?

Any time I've seen this plan touted. it ended in a cluster......of undesired results and consequences.

After the last provincial election in Alberta, one fellow on this forum said " I wanted a WR Gov't. with a strong PC opposition, so I voted NDP".... that Red is strategic (?) voting....yer welcome
Old 07-24-2017, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

If you feel the Alberta Party would be a better choice but you know that it will split a close margin with the NDP holding power, you vote UCP.

It's wrong on so many levels, but worth the risk.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Sounds like dancing with the beauty queen all night cause she the one you want to show your pony too, but taking home the torn galosh cause you know she would be able to ride rough stock.

risky business for sure. What if she decided to stay.?

Old 07-24-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
6.8 billion dollars shorter on revenue? Be curious to know how much this company paid with the 20% increase in corporate taxes along with the Carbon tax.
The company took a big write down (non cash) to pack the effect of 10 years or more in taxes into one quarter which lowered their current tax bill at the time to nothing which with the amount of money they saved in taxes for the quarter will pay a bunch of years of the extra two percent tax.

The company makes maybe 150-300 million per quarter these days so the extra two percent is another 3-6 million bucks every 3 months vs opex at 450 million over the same time period.... the cost of operating the business in alberta went up less than one percent when you consider tax as a cost of doing business.

The company produces 330 000 barrels per day, multipy that by a dip in the price of oil of 40-60$ from the boom times.... thats 12.5 million dollars per day compared to a tax costing 3-6 million per 90 days.... again you see that the tax is less than half a days money lost due to the low oil price.

The 3-6 million in extra taxes vs the 450 million to operate for a quarter is like a man dropping a couple pennies while spending 20$.

Carbon tax? Due to the structure of the tax the tax is more or less neutral for companies that are large and work on reducing emmissions intensity.... if a company can lower the emmissions intensity by a decent margin like 3-10% or something they can actually get more money out of the program than they put in.

If you think companies base decisions on election polls that is nuts..... most operations and projects in alberta have 15-40 year life spans or more, do you seriously think suncor in the 1950's decided to build their baseplant based on the next election result? Lol the plant has been around for 15 provincial elections.... other companies have been drilling in alberta for almost 100 years.

Most large companies take an election cycle to plan a project and get the gears turning before any oil even comes out of the ground

Last edited by 79ford; 07-24-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:48 PM

hmmm. so 79ford , are you saying that the ndp are not personally responsible for the soft commodity prices world wide ?

im surprise no one is jumping down your throat .

thanks for posting some facts . its very refreshing .
Old 07-26-2017, 07:49 AM

Smile Next steps

O.K., there will be nomination meetings in all ridings soon, why don't a few of you younger folks throw your hats in the ring. You can't have a democracy without candidates. If that is not what you want, volunteer, donate money, starting working to elect your candidate.

I'll give a couple of hints to get you started; every party has hard core support and you don't need to work to convince them to vote for you, getting them out to vote is another matter, try to make it easy for them. An example for the right, polling stations in long term care centers for the left in Universities.

The votes who actually determine the winners are the voters who are prepared to CHANGE their vote from the previous election. I'm not even sure if there are sure voters and if there are I don't know how to find them.

What you want are the first time voters, you may get them for life. That is the youth and immigrants.

O.K. get started you need to be ready at all times.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:04 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
hmmm. so 79ford , are you saying that the ndp are not personally responsible for the soft commodity prices world wide ?

im surprise no one is jumping down your throat .

thanks for posting some facts . its very refreshing .
I haven't seen anyone on here blame the NDP for the low commodity prices. .have you? How this government has handled the situation is clearly the problem. They have done absolutely nothing to instill any confidence in investors spending their money here...but of course anyone who thinks that they are business friendly obviously doesn't learn anything from their past history of anywhere they govern...
Old 07-26-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I haven't seen anyone on here blame the NDP for the low commodity prices. .have you? How this government has handled the situation is clearly the problem. They have done absolutely nothing to instill any confidence in investors spending their money here...but of course anyone who thinks that they are business friendly obviously doesn't learn anything from their past history of anywhere they govern...
Sure, bud. Don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

http://www.progressive-economics.ca/...tical-parties/
Old 07-26-2017, 08:27 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

Ain't the internet great?...
Old 07-26-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:

I get a kick out of the GDP ponzi scheme economy of borrowed money.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:

Your posted article contends that NDP governments have the best record of battling deficits and not posting them. Great, so let's accept that. So how is the current Alberta NDP government doing? Are they balancing the books? No. Have they even run deficits of the size they promised? No. Will they get back in the black in the time they originally promised? No. Have they cut spending? No. Are they running the largest deficits of any government of any political stripe in Canada. Yes. Those are the facts and the story. Would you care to refute?
Old 07-26-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Your posted article contends that NDP governments have the best record of battling deficits and not posting them. Great, so let's accept that. So how is the current Alberta NDP government doing? Are they balancing the books? No. Have they even run deficits of the size they promised? No. Will they get back in the black in the time they originally promised? No. Have they cut spending? No. Are they running the largest deficits of any government of any political stripe in Canada. Yes. Those are the facts and the story. Would you care to refute?

"How are they doing?" is a subjective question. Empirically measuring how a different government would perform given the same initial conditions is not possible as we don't have access to alternate realities.

Having said that, I'll respond with "Not bad".

I base this on the Prentice budget of 2015, and its forecast deficit of almost $7billion, based on oil price of $65/bbl. They were going to increase taxes on those making $50k + a year (Healthcare levy, destined for general revenue), increase income tax rates on those making over $100k, increase unemployment (9% cut in expenditures), and increase or bring in new fees.

I would expect that with oil prices really being in the $40/bbl range, that forecast PC deficit of the 2015 budget would have been greater than what the NDP are currently running. I would also expect that the PC's would further cut government programs (increase unemployment), and further neglect infrastructure in the interests of their philosophy of austerity, while still being unable to balance the budget.