Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2017, 02:44 PM

Default Bee hive help

It seems some bees have taken up residence in our bird house near our front door of our house. I don't really want to kill them with the issues I hear bees are having lately but I also don't like the kids having to dodge bees every time they come and go from the house. Any other bug and they would be gone already. Or is all the bee population concerns I hear not exactly real?

Is there anything I can do to relocate them without causing them too many issues or am I stuck with bees for the rest of the summer? Can I move the whole bird house at night while they are less active?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2017, 02:54 PM

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-servic...ationFlag=true
Old 07-22-2017, 09:28 PM

Free bee removal is good. My buddy has hives and told me that it was a 50-60% winter kill on them out here last winter. We need all of them we can help survive.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:33 AM

Send me your contact info and I'll connect you up with some of the beekeepers in Edmonton and they're happy to come over and take the hive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2017, 11:49 AM

If they’re in a birdhouse, they’re likely bumblebees. Leave them alone if you can. Bumblebees are pretty docile and only sting to defend their nest. If you must move them, wear protection and do it at night. They won’t fly at night but they will crawl and sting.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:32 PM

Looked a bit closer last night and I'm pretty sure they are bumble bees. Don't imagine bee guys have any interest in them.

I'm just going to move the birdhouse a few feet down the railing so they are further from the door and turn it so the entrance is facing away from the door. Not sure if that will make a difference to me or them.

They can stay as long as no kids get stung. They will get evicted pretty quick if they break their end of the deal.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:42 PM

Moth balls work well to move bees along. I us them in our garden shed etc every year. Of course you can't get the real ones in Canada but they can be purchased on ebay quite reasonably. If you put a few in the bird house they will quietly move.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsner Man View Post
Looked a bit closer last night and I'm pretty sure they are bumble bees. Don't imagine bee guys have any interest in them.

I'm just going to move the birdhouse a few feet down the railing so they are further from the door and turn it so the entrance is facing away from the door. Not sure if that will make a difference to me or them.

They can stay as long as no kids get stung. They will get evicted pretty quick if they break their end of the deal.
Bees don't sting unless threatened (although it is what they consider a threat, not what you or I might consider one) so tell the kids to leave the bees alone and everything will be fine; who knows, they might learn something... I could spend hours watching bees come and go, but I'm not a kid anymore and have other things I have to do

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.