Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2017, 10:24 AM

Default The new shop need work benches

I need some work benches for my new shop. Costco used to have a nice rolling bench for $299 but like all of Costco stock ,if you don't get it when you see it it's gone. Lol.
My son sent me a nice one fron CT. On sale for $199.

Any other suggestions or pics of you work shop.
Thanks
Old 07-22-2017, 11:04 AM

There are some products intended for kitchens at IKEA that would make for good workshop benches. I just checked the online catalog to provide a link but could not find them (I hope they still carry the line). These ones had laminated butcher block hardwood countertops that were about 1 1/4" thick, thick hardwood frames and optional casters. They also often have the laminated counters available by themselves which would make great workbench tops or to put a durable top on a wide mechanics tool chest.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
There are some products intended for kitchens at IKEA that would make for good workshop benches. I just checked the online catalog to provide a link but could not find them (I hope they still carry the line). These ones had laminated butcher block hardwood countertops that were about 1 1/4" thick, thick hardwood frames and optional casters. They also often have the laminated counters available by themselves which would make great workbench tops or to put a durable top on a wide mechanics tool chest.
Good idea thanks
Old 07-22-2017, 12:18 PM

Lowes also carry a line of metal cabinets right next to their line of Gladiator garage cabinets. The line comes in med-dark blue and I think the other color is a grey IIRC. They're a bit more neutral than the bold industrial checkerplate look of the Gladiator series or the similar ones available at Canadian tire.

Another route is to repurpose take-out kitchen cabinets from peoples renovations that you might find on Kijiji or to visit a store such as the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store which gets all kinds of random donated cabinetry through their doors. I've found some steel office drawer units there for only $30, they were in very good condition, locking file cabinets with two additional small drawers above. For the price they're hard to beat and the drawer slides are built to handle a good weight. Lots of old office equipment shows up at Re-Store.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 07-22-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:16 PM

Build your own.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:30 PM

Check out uncleweiner dot com. Home depot has some not bad ones as well.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:52 PM

Been pretty happy with these. They come with neat options for accessories and are well made.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:18 PM

I've got a massive maple top for a workbench. A well made bench will last several lifetimes.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:50 PM

Either the West end or yellow head Costco had one of those ruling benched today.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerguy View Post
Check out uncleweiner dot com. Home depot has some not bad ones as well.
uncle weiner has some nice stuff at good prices.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
Either the West end or yellow head Costco had one of those ruling benched today.
Great I will check tomorrow
Old 07-22-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan View Post
I need some work benches for my new shop. Costco used to have a nice rolling bench for $299 but like all of Costco stock ,if you don't get it when you see it it's gone. Lol.
My son sent me a nice one fron CT. On sale for $199.

Any other suggestions or pics of you work shop.
Thanks
Work benches are easy if you are willing to settle for wood.
Flat solid core doors are often available, and if you can find seconds or those intended or used as a sliding or pocket door they will not have a handle hole.

IMHO the real key to effective workshop space utilization is good shelving.
I MUCH prefer formed steel shelves bolted to UNIVERSAL slotted angle uprights.
The best stuff is galvanized as it reflects light, makes it easy to see stuff and is not easily attacked by chemical leakage like paint is.
Price can vary widely but often good quantities are available very reasonably when a business or office closes, moves or downsizes.

UNIVERSAL slotted angle is surprisingly versatile and can be used to construct supports for work benches or equipment stands.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
Build your own.
x2. You'll likely get a superior product for less money.

I bought a rolling cabinet and two drawer lateral file cabinet, then got some pallet racking, cut it down, built the two units flush to the face, and surfaced the top with hardwood flooring bought from the Habitat rehab store. It's rock solid and cost around $500, mostly which made up the rolling cabinet. I used this as my inspiration:

Old 07-23-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
x2. You'll likely get a superior product for less money.

I bought a rolling cabinet and two drawer lateral file cabinet, then got some pallet racking, cut it down, built the two units flush to the face, and surfaced the top with hardwood flooring bought from the Habitat rehab store. It's rock solid and cost around $500, mostly which made up the rolling cabinet. I used this as my inspiration:

Looks great also!
Old 07-23-2017, 06:59 AM

i too will say build your own. i have 28 feet of bench top in my garage. it is built out of simple 2x4 with 3/4" plywood as the tops and then capped with heavy tin bent with a backsplash and front cap. i could never go without a metal surface now after having it. i built mine mostly because i get tired of how low most of the store bought benches are. mine is tall and i never get a sore back if i stand there for hours.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildalberta View Post
i too will say build your own. i have 28 feet of bench top in my garage. it is built out of simple 2x4 with 3/4" plywood as the tops and then capped with heavy tin bent with a backsplash and front cap. i could never go without a metal surface now after having it. i built mine mostly because i get tired of how low most of the store bought benches are. mine is tall and i never get a sore back if i stand there for hours.
I like having both metal and wood surface options. At one shop we had a piece of 12 gauge galvanized sheet with the front edge run through a brake to bend around the front lip of the countertop, it could be moved around the bench too or removed entirely.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:00 AM

Also, not the most helpful idea at present time, but if not in terrible rush check the liquidation auctions. About a month ago a saw a restaurant liquidation auction, 10" stainless steel prep table (quite sturdy) went for about $300 iirc. Smaller were cheaper. Could double as a butchering table as well.
I wish i had a garage, come across awesome things every now and then... :-/
Old 07-23-2017, 11:05 AM

Check any shop you see that's renovating. When our rental department renovated I got a nice stainless steel counter top 12 ft x 2 ft deep that's now in my garage.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I've got a massive maple top for a workbench. A well made bench will last several lifetimes.
And a crappy one isn't worth having. My new shop will have 2x4 frame with 1" plywood top.

Grizz
Old 07-23-2017, 01:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
And a crappy one isn't worth having. My new shop will have 2x4 frame with 1" plywood top.

Grizz
I have a 2x4 frame, and a layer of 5/8" good one side glued and screwed to a layer of 3/4". Plenty of meat to fasten my accessories to. Reloader / bench vice etc.