Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2017, 07:39 PM

What's the best color?
Old 07-23-2017, 07:55 PM

I'll take my 5.9 cummins and do the odd ball joint and u joint to keep running the Cummins engine only because front end work is something I can do with my eyes closed. If you are crying about the front ends in dodges it's probably because you can't fix anything on your own to begin with.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:03 PM

I used to work for a multi national oil/gas company. We ran 1200 trucks in Western Canada, the largest light truck fleet in the country (larger than the military or the postal service).

The dodge products which represented, at one time, about 20% of our fleet, had repair and maintenance cost more than double compared to Ford or GMC.

I'm talking strictly 1 ton diesel, 4x4, trucks. These fleet vehicles are driven in some tough conditions with lots of hero pilots - so they are not babied.

The Fords were incrementally better compared to the GMC.

Based on that alone, I would go to a Ford or GMC myself.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildalberta View Post
have you actually driven these new trucks. these new dodges are complete slugs. both towing or not the gm and ford run circles around them.
Any family gathering, the parking lot looks like a dodge dealership......so yeah
Problem with the new trucks is the emission crap. Get rid of it. Any new diesel whether it be dodge, gm, or ford. Will do wonders for the engine. The potential is there.
As for the fords, after the whole 6.0L fiasco, they are a pretty hard sell for many.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
I'll take my 5.9 cummins and do the odd ball joint and u joint to keep running the Cummins engine only because front end work is something I can do with my eyes closed. If you are crying about the front ends in dodges it's probably because you can't fix anything on your own to begin with.

Best diesel engine in a pickup ever made. As you said, ball joints and track bars were the only "weaker" point. Not a big deal if you have any mechanical ability, whatsoever, which any guy should.
Still have an '02 sitting in the yard, has about 500000km on in. Used it for work for many years. Ran every day at work for 12 hours, many of those days never moved, or if it did, just a few miles. Rough guess it has at least 1000000 km worth of hours on the engine. Been in the shop a total of 0 times. Could probably use a set of injectors, but for a farm truck can live with a bit of blue smoke (much like a new 6.0L ford) on startup. Bullet proof enigne
Old 07-23-2017, 08:42 PM

Default 2004 duramax history

2004 duramax with the 05 engine my maint history filled with gas 220000km big FO brakes at 378000km 450$ transfer case housing 325000 km 860$ drivers hub x3 1st one was 860$ dealer then 260 each self passenger hub x1 $260 rear axle seal self 22$ 0w40 oil since new this has had a hard life and hitting 500000 this month trying for 1000000
best truck yet. just dont like the diesel fuel prices
cheers Ocelot
Old 07-23-2017, 09:18 PM

In the last 20 years I owned 2 dodges 2 chevys and 1 ford as work trucks, all diesels and all were kept for at least 500,00km The cheapest to keep on the road were the 5.9 cummins, the most aggravating the powerstroke and the most expensive the chevys. Both of them I had replace engines before 300,000, a spun bearing on a turbo diesel and a broken crank on a d'max.

I still run the 09 d'max, seems to be a decent now that I got rid of the substandard OEM motor.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
The cummins glory days are still here. The only true diesel in a pickup. Inline 6, big pistons, low end torque. I'd take one any day over a V8 high revving, low torque, glorified gas engine.
How many hwy tractors you see running a V8?
Your one argument is simply based on engine configuration? So if I made a popsicle stick/paper mâché engine in an inline 6 it's the best ever?

Think what you want. Typical cummins uneduacated fan. Fine by me.

Cummins gave up the dream with the 5.9. Trying to make an engine run ar tier 4 emissions changed the game. Cat had to stop making hiway engines because they couldn't do it. I'm not saying the cummins isn't a ok engine. But I'd take 6.7 Ford any day.

I'm a diesel mechanic, I've worn out many diesel trucks all over the country side, from mining to forestry oil and gas. Every scenario and road Alberta has to offer.

I don't know everything. But when I head into the bush to the top of the mountain. With no cell service, I'll take the Ford. It's a better truck with a better engine. V8 or not.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:05 AM

Default Bargains do exist

A few years back I sold my '01 5.9CTD 4X4 QC, 6 speed SLT with about 100k on the clock for just over $21,000. The truck was clean & straight & needed nothing, pulled strong, just had an injector pump & lift pump done, interior was spotless, had a rolltop, sprayin liner and nerf bars. The first guy who saw it bought it, several folks wanted to buy it over the phone. I wanted it gone hence the low price, probably could have got more if I tried. I'm pretty happy with my '12 CTD Laramie, different truck entirely, 100k on so far and needed nothing; could get better mileage tho.

These older Dodge trucks had weak front ends but dropping a couple grand every 200-300k is not bad. I think aftermarket parts lasted a bit longer. Don't get me wrong, typical Dodge build of the day, the door was round and the door opening was square, the older models were even worse.

Given the OPs budget, he's probably looking at a truck 10+ years old no matter the make. In that era Ford engines were bad (neighbor had one he called his summer truck, never started below zero); the D'max were better but good luck finding one without huge miles. In the years this fella will be looking, mileage, maintenance, driving habits and road conditions will have a lot more to do with condition than the original build quality. Vehicles that age are also starting to rust, that would scare me more than a spongy front end.

If he has time on his side, just be patient, keep an eye on the boards and you might find a bargain; the guy who bought my '01 did.

Zeke
Old 07-24-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post
Your one argument is simply based on engine configuration? So if I made a popsicle stick/paper mâché engine in an inline 6 it's the best ever?

Cummins gave up the dream with the 5.9. Trying to make an engine run ar tier 4 emissions changed the game. Cat had to stop making hiway engines because they couldn't do it. I'm not saying the cummins isn't a ok engine. But I'd take 6.7 Ford any day.

I'm a diesel mechanic, I've worn out many diesel trucks all over the country side, from mining to forestry oil and gas. Every scenario and road Alberta has to offer.

I don't know everything. But when I head into the bush to the top of the mountain. With no cell service, I'll take the Ford. It's a better truck with a better engine. V8 or not.
You can believe this if you want. However, I will never own a newer Ford diesel. Never
Old 07-24-2017, 09:52 AM

My vote for the most dependable diesel pickup is a first gen Dodge with the 5spd standard. But they're not a luxury truck by any means.

Any Dodge with the 5.9L and the standard tranny (5 or 6spd) is a dependable truck. The 98 and up 24 valves have a weaker lift pump that is corrected by installing a FASS fuel system.

Others might disagree, but I'm talking from experience and not easy empty highway miles.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:56 AM
Banned

I have a 2007 GMC Duramax LBZ. It is a great truck I've owned since new. No serious issues knock on wood...
Maintenance is key on these trucks. Buying something that has been abused is trouble, no matter what the make.

I would look for a one owner Duramax, remembering that you pay for what you get.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2381 View Post
You can believe this if you want. However, I will never own a newer Ford diesel. Never
Works for me! Makes for better deals for the people in the know!
Old 07-24-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post

Uneducated cummins fan? That's rich.....
Mining, forestry, AND oil and gas? That's a lot of experience, wish I had that much
Tier 4 definately changed the game for everybody, luckily those problems can be remedied. And it is a shame about CAT, particularly the 3406, a fantastic engine. Heard a little rumour cat may be back in the game, so that is good news. Ford should check into it...
Glad to hear Ford has it figured out with the newest edition of a diesel, they were sorely lacking for a long time. After working on enough junk 6.0L's, I steer clear of them, so know nothing about their latest and greatest
Old 07-29-2017, 11:22 PM

Default Choose what you like and know how to fix

I would like to start out by saying no truck is without its faults. I do however, wish people would stop complaining about the old dodge autos in the 2nd and 3rd gen diesels. Those transmissions are like all vehicle parts made for stock horsepower, torque and rated towing capacity. As well the 47re in the 2nd gens wasn't technically suppose to pull heavy loads in OD (but that's too slow so people use it). My 2001 2500 made it to 300,000km before it lost the torque converter lock up clutch but still had all 4 gears. The first 160k it was a daily driver and pulled a holiday trailer completely stock, the next 80k it had a quadzilla adrenaline chip and pulled heavy trailers, then for the last 60k it had a less aggressive chip and pulled the odd trailer and piece of farm equipment. Most of the stories I've heard of toast transmissions were when the engines were making too much power and the transmission wasn't touched. Cheap engine upgrades=wreck transmissions. Not saying these are perfect transmissions but stock transmissions are made for stock engines. i do like the allisons but they are not faultless either. Anyway enough to find that rant.
If you want a dodge my suggestions are oldest to newest. A 1998 12valve with a 5 speed standard the less molested the better, a 2001-2002 24valve 6speed standard, if you want a third gen (2003-2007) then my suggestion is a 2004.5 with a 6speed that half year seems to be the least problematic, if you want a 6.7 then my only suggestion is look for the aisin transmission I don't know much more about 4ths. For third gens definitely stay away from 06s lots of electrical issues it's seems.
I can also say that an 06 duramax is a good truck. We have an 06 dodge 3500 and an 06 duramax at work. The duramax is all around a better truck, similar km but the dodge has electrical issues (everything important still works but minor things), the duramax is the crew cab and the dodge is only a quad, the crew is much better, the duramax is more comfy inside. The Chevys are way more comfy on the road (and off) the dodge does however have better clearance. I can't give you a fair power comparison as the duramax has a chip and the dodge doesn't. My best advice is decide what features are the most important to you and pick accordingly. I own 2001 cummins auto because it was a good deal and I can fix pretty much anything except a transmission rebuild by myself with not too expensive tools and it has never left me on the side of the road for the 100k I've owned. Just FYI on the 06 duramax there is not a lot of room to work in that engine compartment.
Unfortunately I do not know much about fords so I can't really comment other than saying a have a friend with a 7.3L with the zf6 and it's been a good truck.
Sorry for the long reply hope it helps!
Old 07-30-2017, 07:06 AM

I just traded in my 2006 Mega cab. Was a good truck and used for work. Had a HTS built transmission, 90hp injectors, Manifold, etc. Was getting to expensive to operate. My work trucks get used hard! This time I went with a 2017 F350 LB crew cab. Tows great is quiet but it's new so we will see.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
What's the best color?
black !!!