Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-17-2017, 09:01 PM

Default Mossberg patriot night train 2/3 ?

I would like to know, what's the deal with the night train. I'm looking into getting my first long range rifle I have less than 1000$ to do so. I like the look of the night train but I hear some good and some bad.

Bad : the stock is not any good
The scope is low end but good enough to get started.

Good : triger is good and can be adjusted
Mussel break is a good touch and the fluted barrel cools fast.

If a guy wanted to make this a half decent long range rifle in time could it be possible with a new boyd stock and new rings and scope?

I'm on the fence with this one and I'm not to sure what's out there for a long range set up to shoot right out of the box

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2017, 09:14 PM

I would rather spend the money on a Weatherby Vanguard and a Nikon scope if I had to have a rifle for $1k . I would prefer to wait and save up some more cash for a T-3 Varmint with a Nikon Monarch. In any case, the fluted barrel and "mussel break" are not things that I would spend money on with such a small budget.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 07-17-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:15 PM

I would wait until you can get a better rifle. Weasel away some more cash and look for a good used scope and rifle in the mean time.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:27 PM
Banned

I'm pretty happy with mine.
The bi-pod and scope it comes with are pretty low end, and I replaced them with a Harris and one of the new Nikon X1000 4-16 mildot scopes.
Even with the fluting the barrel heats up pretty quickly, but until it does (say a dozen shots) it will hold 1moa with Federal Match ammo.
Not bad for a rifle that all in I have about $1500 invested in. At some point I do intend on replacing the stock. Until then I'll fill the butt with epoxy putty to add some weight to lessen recoil and make it a bit stiffer.
.308 BTW

Last edited by bobtodrick; 07-17-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I'm pretty happy with mine.
The bi-pod and scope it comes with are pretty low end, and I replaced them with a Harris and one of the new Nikon X1000 4-16 mildot scopes.
Even with the fluting the barrel heats up pretty quickly, but until it does (say a dozen shots) it will hold 1moa with Federal Match ammo.
Not bad for a rifle that all in I have about $1500 invested in. At some point I do intend on replacing the stock. Until then I'll fill the butt with epoxy putty to add some weight to lessen recoil and make it a bit stiffer.
I was looking at a boyd stock at 200 can shipped sounded like a good deal

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2017, 06:13 AM

I have a Savage T-10 in 308. It was $800 when I bought it but I've seen them on sale for as low as $600. Heavy 24" barrel, flat fore-end. Can't beat it for accuracy. Put whatever scope you want on it.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:06 AM

Keep a lookout in the classifieds for a used Sendero. This alone will eat up your budget, but will be worth it. No problem modifying off this platform with stocks, triggers etc. Most senderos are also very accurate especially with a bedding job.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
Keep a lookout in the classifieds for a used Sendero. This alone will eat up your budget, but will be worth it. No problem modifying off this platform with stocks, triggers etc. Most senderos are also very accurate especially with a bedding job.
You can also find used T-3 varmints at good prices, I actually purchased a mint Super Varmint with rings for $900 for a friend.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:20 PM

I can't speak for the Night train, I own the Mossberg MVP varmint in .223.
Yes I could have bought a Savage Model 10 variant or a Remington 700 and pump money into those platforms for an overall better rig.
I also hesitated on a second-hand Tikka T3 varmint + cheapo scope for $900, but didnt know how much ammo went thru it.

So my MVP has a medium shallow fluted crowned barrel. Bipod is a cheap Caldwell and the scope is a Deadringer (most likely a rebranded UTG)....overall not a great braging rights rifle....

But the thing shoots well, chambered in 5.56mm, uses AR-style mags...I'm satisfied.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvande View Post
I would wait until you can get a better rifle. Weasel away some more cash and look for a good used scope and rifle in the mean time.
IMHO, wait until you can get a better scope. Weasel away some more cash and look for a good used rifle (in 308W, 30-06 or other common cartridge) in the mean time.

IMHO, the rifle is the least important part of a new LR shooters kit.
I suggest, scope (with similarly calibrated reticle & turret, and side adjustable parallax), training, bags & rest/bipod, practice, reloading and load development, then better rifle, in that order.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:32 PM
Banned

I agree with those who recommend saving a bit more cash and going for something better. My friend recently purchased a beautiful older Sako HB in .243 win. He paid $800.00 at the last Calgary gunshow.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:07 PM

Also on Gunnuts, there are a lot of the Savage 10 tr rifles up for sale. At pretty decent prices. I sold mine which I kind of regret. But now have a Savage 12 lrp in 243. This winter I'm going to throw on a custom barrel in 6.5 cm. Add a custom recoil lug and barrel nut. I got a Bushnell elite tactical 6-24-50 ffp illuminated scope on it. That's my long range coyote gun. Absolute tack driver. And with a Shillin or other custom barrel in 6.5. Will be a great lr unit.

Check out the presision rifle section on Gunnutz. Might find a steal of a deal. Just make sure the guy has impeccable feedback.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:50 AM

Something else to consider is that the Mossberg will lose much more value than another more highly regarded brand. A Savage 10TR is way more gun than the mossberg. The glass on the Mossberg is crap compared to what you can get for 3-500 bucks used. You could be at $1500 with a used rifle and excellent glass that you could sell for almost what you paid for it.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:59 PM

Forget about it and get a Savage, or save money and get something better, especially better glass.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:36 AM

I would agree with people who have suggested saving some more. It's true that good things come to those who wait. I suggest Tikke HB or the Savage that all have mentioned.