Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-17-2017, 08:45 PM

Default Bow River Quiet Spots

Hello,

I am looking for spots around the bow river that are a max, 1hr drive from Calgary.

However, I am primarily looking for spots where the river isn't that fast flowing (so maybe any canals that hold fish). I am also looking to target Pike but I will be more than happy to go for other species too.

I will not be fly fishing so I am looking to using spoons to fish for trout and Pike. Any tips on spoon lure choice for trout would also be appreciated.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northern Pike: 32
Trout: 17
Yellow Perch: 1
Burbot: 0
Whitefish: 2
Sturgeon: Never gonna catch one anyway..

Any questions? Feel free to PM me
Old 07-17-2017, 10:19 PM

Have you tried Glenmore Reservoir? Plenty of pike in there and the odd trout too.

Try sliding a small curly tail grub behind a spinner and toss that around the edges of weed lines.

Even just a rooster tail spinner without the grub would work, trout as well as pike like that little pulsating bit of bucktail that trails the treble hook.

Little Cleo spoons work nice for either species. Try blue/silver in more clear water and something bright like fire tiger in cloudy water.

Hope this helps!

PS: A general piece of advice is that any place where a feeder stream meets the main river would be a good place to start if the reservoir doesn't pan out :-) Be sure to check the regulations on specific streams if you plan on going up them though!
Old 07-18-2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
Have you tried Glenmore Reservoir? Plenty of pike in there and the odd trout too.

Try sliding a small curly tail grub behind a spinner and toss that around the edges of weed lines.

Even just a rooster tail spinner without the grub would work, trout as well as pike like that little pulsating bit of bucktail that trails the treble hook.

Little Cleo spoons work nice for either species. Try blue/silver in more clear water and something bright like fire tiger in cloudy water.

Hope this helps!

PS: A general piece of advice is that any place where a feeder stream meets the main river would be a good place to start if the reservoir doesn't pan out :-) Be sure to check the regulations on specific streams if you plan on going up them though!

Already fished Glenmore plenty of times and it's a good lake, no monsters though. And thanks for the lure advice. Much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northern Pike: 32
Trout: 17
Yellow Perch: 1
Burbot: 0
Whitefish: 2
Sturgeon: Never gonna catch one anyway..

Any questions? Feel free to PM me