Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
I have never worked as a server in a restaurant, but have known several friends that have. None of them have ever paid the cook or bartender when they were not tipped, so anyone that is working for such a place shouldn't complain about it if that is a one in a million restaurant that is deducting pay and they choose to keep working there. There must be more to this story that we are not hearing about. I know of two local restaurants that have their servers put all the tips into a jar, and at the end of the shift it gets divided to everyone, even the lazy folks that didn't put any in. I refuse to tip at such places, and have told the servers that I will give them the tip directly, and if I hear that they threw it into the commons jar, I'll not tip there again. I also don't believe that restaurants are the only place to tip good services rendered, often even a little extra coffee money to mechanics and hairdressers and such can make someones day.
There are rare occasions where guests don't tip but yes it does come from her pay. Not saying it happens 10 times a night but it does happen. The rare occasion it does happen is no need to jump ship and find a new job. She is very good at what she does and rarely has this happen. Only when you have the customer that believes the are a high roller as mentioned and think they deserve to be waited on hand and foot or when the customer believes that the server is making too much at minimum wage.

When a customer leaves without paying she has never had the bill come out her pocket. The establishment she works at is very understanding if the work she does and is grateful to have good servers. Things happen and there are people in this world that leave without paying.

DR
Old 07-15-2017, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Never realized there was that many cheap people on AO.....wow

Mack
Try and sell something on the Buy & Sell. Bob's your uncle.....LOL
Old 07-15-2017, 11:19 PM

The whole tipping thing is out of control especially in Canada, aside from the US I don't tip anywhere else. In Canada I don't feel the need to tip... regardless of service/food.

In the US its a different story. In most states they have 2 minimum wages. The standard minimum wage and the minimum tipped wage.

The minimum tipped wage is as low as $2.13 in many areas, because of the low wages they rely on tips thus making the service that much better. For the most part the service in Calgary is inconsistent at best.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped..._United_States

As you know in Canadian provinces we have a single minimum wage but yet we are expected to tip as though our servers were making less than everyone else. When was the last time you tipped your cashier, the person bagging your groceries, the associate helping you pick out a fishing rod?

How did a 15% or 20% tips become the norm? And how the hell does automatic gratuity become a standard for larger parties? Why am i forced to pay a 20% tip because I have a table of 6 or more (I've even seen it for parties as small as 5). I refuse to eat at any restaurant that has automatic gratuity when eating with friends... the whole idea is ludicrous.

Why cant restaurants here just follow the European model and pay their servers more and charge more for their food?

In case anyone was wondering, I've worked in the service industry for 10+ years serving, bartending and managing and know first hand how entitled people in the service industry have become. It used to be about rewarding good service now its basically expected regardless of how ****ty the service is.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix_84 View Post
Why cant restaurants here just follow the European model and pay their servers more and charge more for their food?

In case anyone was wondering, I've worked in the service industry for 10+ years serving, bartending and managing and know first hand how entitled people in the service industry have become. It used to be about rewarding good service now its basically expected regardless of how ****ty the service is.
If they charged more for their food I would never eat out. Prices are getting absolutely ridiculous on everything lately.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-16-2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:

Mack

No kidding. Using a government mandated wage increase as an excuse to not tip. Lame.

Hopefully some of them are making $13-15 ph soon.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
The whole tipping thing is out of control especially in Canada, aside from the US I don't tip anywhere else. In Canada I don't feel the need to tip... regardless of service/food.

In the US its a different story. In most states they have 2 minimum wages. The standard minimum wage and the minimum tipped wage.

The minimum tipped wage is as low as $2.13 in many areas, because of the low wages they rely on tips thus making the service that much better. For the most part the service in Calgary is inconsistent at best.

As you know in Canadian provinces we have a single minimum wage but yet we are expected to tip as though our servers were making less than everyone else. When was the last time you tipped your cashier, the person bagging your groceries, the associate helping you pick out a fishing rod?

How did a 15% or 20% tips become the norm? And how the hell does automatic gratuity become a standard for larger parties? Why am i forced to pay a 20% tip because I have a table of 6 or more (I've even seen it for parties as small as 5). I refuse to eat at any restaurant that has automatic gratuity when eating with friends... the whole idea is ludicrous.

Canada has a 2 tiered wage scale as well. Alberta eliminated it in 2016 but in a few provinces, they start off at at a $1 or $2 less than regular minimum wage.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
I have never worked as a server in a restaurant, but have known several friends that have. None of them have ever paid the cook or bartender when they were not tipped, so anyone that is working for such a place shouldn't complain about it if that is a one in a million restaurant that is deducting pay and they choose to keep working there. There must be more to this story that we are not hearing about. I know of two local restaurants that have their servers put all the tips into a jar, and at the end of the shift it gets divided to everyone, even the lazy folks that didn't put any in. I refuse to tip at such places, and have told the servers that I will give them the tip directly, and if I hear that they threw it into the commons jar, I'll not tip there again. I also don't believe that restaurants are the only place to tip good services rendered, often even a little extra coffee money to mechanics and hairdressers and such can make someones day.
Cora's restaurants work on this basis. The servers have to give a percentage of their ring out at the end of the shift.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:50 AM

tipping is a north American thing ..
outside north America you don't tip

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 07-16-2017, 12:11 PM

Hopefully a higher wage will help some get off welfare or maybe only have to work 2 jobs instead of 3 to survive. You know food and shelter.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:16 PM

I have never not tipped, but I have tipped 3% so the server didn't have to pay out of pocket.

I will be lowering my tip % as the wage goes up. I tip 15% now for good service, and 10 for bad, but once it's in the 13's I'll be tipping 10% for good service
Old 07-16-2017, 12:29 PM

"Now that servers make 15$ what has changed"
==================================

The change for me:
I now go out less to eat by about 2%,
..and soon, after the next raise, that'll to about about 5% less
restaurant visits(I suppose with all the left/SJW's poops lately, my above
thoughts on this matter will be regarded as unacceptable& racist soon, lol)
Talk about an industry suicide'n itself imo..

How about, the young lad whom cuts my lawn all summer says at the
end of this month his charges mandatorily go up 2%, then 3% in august..
Have you ever heard such a thing..

Last edited by tri777; 07-16-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:

Mack
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Mack
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can you 2 please kindly donate some bucks to me, being regarded
as cheap& all & paying off others $10.5 million dollar windfalls lately..thx.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
"Now that servers make 15$ what has changed"
==================================

Talk about an industry suicide'n itself imo..
Industry suicide? It's a minimum wage increase in Alberta, not a raise for Waiters and Waitresses specifically. If anything the restaurant industry is against the raise.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Can you 2 please kindly donate some bucks to me, being regarded
as cheap& all & paying off others $10.5 million dollar windfalls lately..thx.
Happy to. When you bring me a nice cold beer and a nice rib steak cooked to perfection.

But you also have to smile and be nice as well. Being attractive doesnt hurt either.lol

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 07-16-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Happy to. When you bring me a nice cold beer and a nice rib steak cooked to perfection.

But you also have to smile and be nice as well. Being attractive doesnt hurt either.lol
Here you go'p !

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 784691-beer-and-food-steak.jpg (47.4 KB, 45 views)
Old 07-16-2017, 02:46 PM

So lets see how this works. Australia has has an $18 min wage for a number of years. The restaurants still have lousy service, just as bad as Canada. There is no tipping to speak of in Australia. The only good to great service we had was from US or Quebec students working on travel/work Visas in Australia. Australian restaurant owners do everything they can NOT to hire Australian workers because they are slow moving, and thought they are generally affable they are oblivious to customer service.

Food servers in Italy earn the equivalent of $7 an hour. Tipping is rare, service is universally excellent. Germany, servers earn about $20 an hour, service is excellent, almost no tipping.

U.S. servers in many places earn less than $3 an hour. Service is universally excellent and tipping is widespread and expected. If I wan't going to tip I would have left long before the meal was served or over but it is really rare that I ever recall getting bad food or service in the States. I have NEVER felt bad about tipping for the quality of service I receive in U.S. restaurants!

Norway, a Burger King Whooper meal costs $58 Canadian. Spaghetti for two for lunch, no alcohol, $180. Servers earn about $20 an hour, no tipping. Service is efficient, helpful and courteous. They have less than a quarter the number of restaurants you would see in a Canadian or U.S. city because people can't afford to eat out often. If you provide bad service or poor food in Norway you won't be in business very long.

So what are the differences, high wages don't guarantee good service, nor do they preclude it, tipping versus not tipping doesn't guarantee good service, nor does it preclude it. Biggest difference I see when I travel is customer attitude. Yanks DEMAND excellent service. IF they don't get it they are REALLY vocal and will get up and leave, never to return. Restaurants with bad service don't last long. Same applies in Italy, Norway and Germany.

Australians, like Canadians accept bad service as "just the way it is", difference is, they don't tip on top of getting bad service. (Exception is Quebec where serving tables is seen as a profession and service is universally good to excellent, You can't wait on tables in most better restaurants until you have apprenticed with an experienced server for at least 30 days.)

I do not accept bad service or bad food and will complain to management and then leave so I don't get unmentionables added to my food. I don't go back to places with bad service, or bad food.

Call me cheap or whatever you like but I have no intentions of propagating average service by tipping for it. Learn to provide great service, you earn your tips, if not, your problem not mine.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:09 PM

Dean, you've started an interesting thread. Some restaurants are beginning to institute a no tipping policy, and charging higher prices for the food.

My question for you is what exactly you consider good service that is worthy of a tip?
Old 07-16-2017, 04:06 PM

I will never forget the day many moons ago when I was busting my hump at the grill, making $4.70/hr. (that might date this story), when one particularly primadonna-esque waitress came back into the kitchen to pizz and moan about how she ONLY made $200 in tips for that night...and no, there was no tip sharing in that restaurant.

Now, I ususally take the GST and triple or quadruple it for my tip...easy math. But I do that for really good service only...not standard things that are expected parts of the job (like filling water glasses, etc.) My wife, who is Scottish, could not wrap her head around how we Canadians tip for everything...and still sometimes doesn't tip as she says that the basic level of service (which was listed previously) is what is expected as part of the job.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 07-16-2017, 05:20 PM

I tip 15% unless I hear, "How are the first few bites?"
Man, I hate that one.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:36 PM

I stopped going to sit down restaurants and cook more from home. When it cost you $40 to feed yourself and two small kids it takes the enjoyment out of going out. Since late 2015 I just found I don't even want to go out when everything is $15 plus.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:41 PM

Isn't Australia's min wage tiered to age. I thought you had to be 21 to get it.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Here you go'p !

Beer is warm, steak over done(not to mention small).

But still a "penny" for your thoughts.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 07-16-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:48 PM

My wife is a teachers aid. She makes just under $20/hour to look after a special needs child and help out in the class. People working at McDonalds and such will soon be making $15/hour. There is something wrong with that picture.
I usually tip about 15% for good service but will be dropping that to 10% and it had better be reai good service.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:

Couldn't agree more, there's no reason that a customer should be held as an emotional hostage and "forced" by convention to pay for the wage of someone else's employee. Charge enough to pay your employees a decent wage and be done with it.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Beer is warm, steak over done(not to mention small).

But still a "penny" for your thoughts.
Well now...after all that labour in the kitchen for you,
that is one great tip there for me sir..
Old 07-16-2017, 07:36 PM

I tip 15% unless the service is particularly bad (which is rare). I have no problem with tipping. That said, the entitlement of servers is just mind boggling. No customer owes you anything more than what the price on the bill is. Anytime a customer tips anything the server should be grateful. Don't like the fact you require the generosity of strangers to get by? SWITCH JOBS. No one is forcing anyone to be a server.

I worked as a server for a few months at a non-chain steakhouse. Easiest job I have ever had. Most of the shift was just waiting around, then the dinner rush would have me busting my butt for 3 hours, then it'd cool off and I'd just be mostly waiting around again. Would easily make $100-180+ on any given night, and I wasn't even very good at the job, nor was I the most outgoing or charming guy ever. If I had cleavage, a bubbly personality and no Y chromosome, I would probably have tripled my tip total.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post
I tip 15% unless I hear, "How are the first few bites?"
Man, I hate that one.
Especially when your mouth is full
Old 07-16-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Dean, you've started an interesting thread. Some restaurants are beginning to institute a no tipping policy, and charging higher prices for the food.

My question for you is what exactly you consider good service that is worthy of a tip?
Some are also pooling the tips, so the bus boy and dishwasher and servers are making equal share.

LC
Old 07-16-2017, 08:18 PM
Banned

Pretty much quit eating out. In the last year the prices have gone up quite a bit. Probably keep going up.

I used to tip 20 to 25% for decent service.