Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-15-2017, 11:33 AM

Default 444/446 Sheep Hunt

Hi everyone,

I guess my dad has finally got a draw to go for his sheep after 13 years!. He is 64 years old and ready to go. We started getting ready few years ago, getting the right equipment and getting in better shape.

Last year we went and hunted Elk around this country to get familiar with the area. My goal is to make this hunt successful for my dad and wandering if anybody is willing to share some tips if you ever hunted there?

Thank you
Old 07-15-2017, 11:51 AM

Sheep quality is not what it used to be but you should be able to find him a legal one from what I hear. Wish I could help more but I have not run around there much recently
Old 07-15-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceinalifetime View Post
Hi everyone,

I guess my dad has finally got a draw to go for his sheep after 13 years!. He is 64 years old and ready to go. We started getting ready few years ago, getting the right equipment and getting in better shape.

Last year we went and hunted Elk around this country to get familiar with the area. My goal is to make this hunt successful for my dad and wandering if anybody is willing to share some tips if you ever hunted there?

Thank you
I'll be home from the lodge in a week or so. Give me a shout and I'll tell you all you need to know about the area and where to find the rams.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I'll be home from the lodge in a week or so. Give me a shout and I'll tell you all you need to know about the area and where to find the rams.
That is awesome. Ill reach out to you later on! So appreciated guys.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:25 PM

I have never hunted sheep, but this is what I've heard over and over...

Put some boots on the ground. Learn the area well (with the way draws are going and his age, he'll probably never get this draw again.. so put everyday you have into it). Rams move around a lot (they have a big home home range) so even if buddy knows where they are.. they might not be in that spot when you are there. But.. if you find the "honey holes" then learn the big area around it.. you stand a much better chance. Take the info tork (or others) pm you, go up early august and learn the entire area around it.. and you'll be in a good spot come season. For every hour of hiking.. spend an hour glassing.

Again, just what I've heard over and over. I have zero trophy rams on my wall.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:25 PM

It would sure be nice to see a couple of trails dug up in that zone to limmit quad access. I am sure the trophy quality would go up a lot if it was resticted to foot access. I think a lot of trophy rams get taken for subsistence hunting in that zone.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF8889 View Post
I have never hunted sheep, but this is what I've heard over and over...

Rams move around a lot (they have a big home home range) so even if buddy knows where they are.. they might not be in that spot when you are there.

Again, just what I've heard over and over. I have zero trophy rams on my wall.
This is not true!!! If you find a Rams summer range you will find them in that area until about mid October, then after that you can find Rams just about any place. This is when sheep hunting can get good because you can find a ram that you haven't seen before. When it's hot out I usually find Rams in the real early mornings feeding until about 8:00 and then they either go just about to the tops of the mountains or they go right into the trees. I usually start looking for Rams in mid-July. This is just my observations, I don't know too much about sheep though. There are others on this forum that are experts and know everything about sheep. Good luck and I hope to see some pics this fall of the original posters dads Ram!!!!
Old 07-16-2017, 09:46 AM

Thanks guys for some good info.

We are planning to go spend couple of days in early October just scouting and learning the area. Looking on Google maps it seems the mine area is quite accessible, which will make it easier, but also I can see why its not good for sheep. Too easy of an access.

I am too hoping to post a pic of a trophy ram!
Old 07-16-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceinalifetime View Post
Thanks guys for some good info.

We are planning to go spend couple of days in early October just scouting and learning the area. Looking on Google maps it seems the mine area is quite accessible, which will make it easier, but also I can see why its not good for sheep. Too easy of an access.

I am too hoping to post a pic of a trophy ram!
You mean in early August?

If I'm around on August 25th and you want to meet up there I'll take you in and show you where to kill a ram. It's about the only spot worth hunting there anymore. The other options are too heavily depended on for "sustenance" hunting ☹️
Old 07-16-2017, 10:00 AM

I meant early August lol

My dad is looking to try and get few days off around that time, so I will definitely let you know when we can head out there!