Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-12-2017, 11:07 PM

Default Request permission for grazing leases this far ahead?

I pulled my mule tag in 118, as i seen lots of grazing leases in that area. And have marked some deer ive seen with previous road trips. I know they could be anywhere come season but im going to give it a try. All the leases say contact days before access etc. Do you guys have any luck getting access months in advance. Also what about permission for preseason scouting for grazing lease?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2017, 11:37 PM

Most will want you to contact as their conditions state. If late winter/snow cattle will still be out.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:53 AM

I would contact now. Things are not really hectic for them right now and the flood of hunters has not hit yet. I would offer to touch base with them again before you come out, just to see what the conditions are like for cattle and dryness.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-14-2017, 04:46 PM

I agree with Piker, you aren't just looking for permission you are building a relationship with the landowner/lease holder. It's that old saying "it's not what you know, but who you know".

I used to scout the Calgary bow zone all summer and get to know the folks who lived in the area. Sometimes the best tips come from the least expected places. Set everything up now and leave as little to question as possible, but also offer to check back in prior to season.

Good luck with you hunt.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:47 PM

I got permission in 118 last year at this time. He just laughed and said "You're asking already? But no problem at all. He just gave me some tips on where to go, and some areas he didn't let hunters hunt. Which was some of his private land.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:53 PM

The good thing is they might answer there phones now.
Close to hunting season it is shocking how many lease holders just arn't home.lol
Bad is they have no clue how late there cows will be on the lease right now.
It depends on how the grass looks in the fall.
Personally I call a bit latter in the year, then most farmers will have a better idea how long there stock will be out on the lease.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:50 AM

You may not be getting on nowhere if it stays tinder dry out, most MD's already have fire bans on. Getting access maybe difficult this year.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:15 AM

I've already called and got permissions on the Grazing Reserve we hunted last year. No harm in getting that out of the way sooner rather than later. The lease holder I contacted is hard to get a hold of but a great guy. Although we've only haunted the area once before, he remembered us and we chatted for a few mins about our luck last year.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:17 AM

I suppose there is nothing wrong with introducing yourself and your intentions now ,,, but I wouldn't assume getting permission now means full access come hunting season. It would be best to confirm if access is still ok come hunting season as well.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:48 PM

There's no right answer...Some lease holders are happy to answer and give permission now, some would rather you call the day before you plan to hunt so they don't forget who you are.

Personally I call in the summer...just be warned that there may be a few who aren't so receptive to it. I've been fairly lucky so far, only one guy seemed disturbed but that was more so due to previous slobs/poachers than my timing.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:56 PM

Check the contact info and follow it to the letter!!

Start as your comfortable. If you need to escalate things, you will have time.

I say this because one guy denies me every year. I escalate things and win every time.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:08 PM

Thanks for the responses im gonna head down there and do some road scouting. Hopefully get lucky with permission i think almost the entire 118 is grazing lease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk