Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-16-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13mileranch View Post
Hey get in line at 500 bucks a day he is the king pin of outfitters in north america for top quality of guides .... plus a bonus.

Hey he's from Ontario and a used car lot. They know how to do it right. Dig into it.. a third generation used car lot family gone western. Seriously check it out. What a joke.
What does this have to do with a guy wanting to get into the guiding/outdoor business?
Your doing an amazing job at making yourself look like an idiot.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13mileranch View Post
Hey get in line at 500 bucks a day he is the king pin of outfitters in north america for top quality of guides .... plus a bonus.

Hey he's from Ontario and a used car lot. They know how to do it right. Dig into it.. a third generation used car lot family gone western. Seriously check it out. What a joke.
I don't understand?

Nubuck is a third generation used car lot salesman? I thought he was in oil and gas for the last twelve years.

Obviously I'm missing out on something here nubuck, do you and 13mileranch know each other ?
Old 07-16-2017, 10:48 PM

A good albertan website would be a dream. Even whole sales mobile site is garbage. Youtube used to be a gold mine if you brought in subs and view. Nowa days they cut back the payout to hunting and shooting channels almost completly but they still advertise the same amount.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I don't understand?

Nubuck is a third generation used car lot salesman? I thought he was in oil and gas for the last twelve years.

Obviously I'm missing out on something here nubuck, do you and 13mileranch know each other ?
Not a car salesman, don't know 13mileranch and not looking for a job either, was just curious what you look for in a guide. More than likely going to bang on doors in the Yukon and NWT to start out with. I figure might have a better chance up there.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubuck View Post
Not a car salesman, don't know 13mileranch and not looking for a job either, was just curious what you look for in a guide. More than likely going to bang on doors in the Yukon and NWT to start out with. I figure might have a better chance up there.
Strange indeed, not sure where he was going with that one. I have a feeling "sage13"or 13mileranch will be back sooner then later anyway.

As for guides I'm looking for guys that absolutely love being outdoors hunting. If this is just another job then it likely won't work, way more money can be made elsewhere.
After that it's bush knowledge, species knowledge, meat and trophy handling skills and personality. If you're an amazing hunter but your "hunter" can't stand your personality it won't work.
Can you cape, skin, turn ears, split lips, skin paws, flesh and salt hides ? If not then talk to a local taxidermist and ask if you can observe and help out for free to learn this stuff. Not as important in Alberta where everything goes in a freezer most times, but remote hunts this needs to be taken care of in the field.
Can you cook ? Can you run a spike camp on your own ? Can you make basic repairs on ATVs or river boats ? Can you run a river boat ?

This summer I've got some awesome trail hands up here that really love the north country, and a couple will be guiding in the next few years as they learn it all. It takes a lot to be a good guide and know everything there is to know.

Every year I get guys who apply on guiding jobs with "lots of experience" until they realize they can't skin, cape, quarter, or run a spike camp on their own. Maybe they've hunted a lot around home, but this is a whole other world up here.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:24 PM

Thanks Tork, I can tick off quite of few of those boxes, but still have lots to learn when it come to handling trophies. Got my spring bear in the freezer to practice on and will cape out everything I get this year for the practice. I all the appreciate the info.
cheers
Old 07-17-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks Tork, I can tick off quite of few of those boxes, but still have lots to learn when it come to handling trophies. Got my spring bear in the freezer to practice on and will cape out everything I get this year for the practice. I all the appreciate the info.
cheers
If you are serious about guiding then the best advice I can give you is to keep a smile on your face, work hard, listen well, be personable and most importantly be willing to learn!
If you guide a lot you will learn a ton and it will be the best experience for being an all round better hunt. You don't need to guide to become a better or good hunter but it gives you more time in the field than most get and you gain a ton of experience. You get good at killing certain critters you target and you learn an area well and how to get it done. But you have to have the right attitude and care about what you do. Some feel they are there just to take clients around and don't really care with putting the mental and physical effort into it to give the hunter the best chance at being successful. My 2 bits
Old 07-17-2017, 06:22 PM

How I started guiding was horse wrangle for a year or two. Still get on hunts, learn takin care of trophies, what it takes to run a camp etc. And live the dream!!!! What you can learn in a year or two, will take you where you wanna be and last a lifetime . Just a thought...

Good luck..
Old 07-17-2017, 06:42 PM

I started as a greenhorn 30 years ago no one in my family Hunted I read books started fish guiding then started big game guiding deer and bear went on to Moose and Caribou elk sheep it was a great lifestyle for 25 plus years almost 60 years old now and still do the odd week of moose hunting which is my favorite if you have the passion you will succeed

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
How I started guiding was horse wrangle for a year or two. Still get on hunts, learn takin care of trophies, what it takes to run a camp etc. And live the dream!!!! What you can learn in a year or two, will take you where you wanna be and last a lifetime . Just a thought...

Good luck..
That's how we start out our new guys as well. We don't have wranglers because we don't use horses, but they go in as helpers for more experienced guides to learn.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
That's how we start out our new guys as well. We don't have wranglers because we don't use horses, but they go in as helpers for more experienced guides to learn.
Hey Tork, PM me if you prefer, but what is your outfit called? I enjoy seeing the success of hunters up in the mountains and in the North country in my social media, and would like to follow along with the success you guys have this fall.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dynamite View Post
Hey Tork, PM me if you prefer, but what is your outfit called? I enjoy seeing the success of hunters up in the mountains and in the North country in my social media, and would like to follow along with the success you guys have this fall.
Liard River Outfitters sir
Old 07-26-2017, 02:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
Ask gloszz lol
Not sure what your ignorant comment is supposed to be...
Old 07-26-2017, 06:06 PM

Aside from guiding, companies based in the outdoors, Bushnell, Sitka, Primos, you name it, they are still businesses. That means they are going to need accountants, marketing professionals, business managers. It might not be a direct outdoor career, but it could be a well paying outdoor based career that gives you an excuse to go to outdoor shows, maybe trial new products, and probably gives you an opportunity to mingle with your favorite TV personalities.

Another option, Ducks Unlimited, RMEF, or your Game and Fish Department always needs biologists, chemists and environmental scientists.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:25 PM

Here is a Kijiji add for hunting ranch help.
Get your foot in the door, work hard....

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-bar-food-hos...per/1278434119
Old 07-27-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torkdiesel View Post
i agree. This year i'm upping my guides wages to 500/day each so they're inline with oilfield wages. I'm also going to with a bonus structure based on performance by inch the guide produces !!!

Everybody should be happy until next year when we go out of business and they're no longer employed.
hahahahaha!!!!
Old 07-27-2017, 10:07 AM

Watched an interesting video not too long ago about TV versus YouTube. Here's the link below. Not really a way to get you into the industry, but does explain the major differences between the two platforms of media.

https://youtu.be/HzAHh3UbbF8

If you want to get your foot in the door for guiding, just contact outfitters, speak to them honestly about your experience, and intentions. I did this about ten years ago, and found a guy willing to give me a chance. I did a bit of guiding for ducks and geese. Had the opportunity to go guide for bears, and whitetail as well, but the timing was never right with my day job. Wish I would have just went for it anyways. It was a fun experience, but you definitely work for your money, and I found it a bit stressful. You set up on a good field that all the birds are hitting. Just to watch flock after flock fly right past you, just out of range.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Watched an interesting video not too long ago about TV versus YouTube. Here's the link below. Not really a way to get you into the industry, but does explain the major differences between the two platforms of media.

https://youtu.be/HzAHh3UbbF8

If you want to get your foot in the door for guiding, just contact outfitters, speak to them honestly about your experience, and intentions. I did this about ten years ago, and found a guy willing to give me a chance. I did a bit of guiding for ducks and geese. Had the opportunity to go guide for bears, and whitetail as well, but the timing was never right with my day job. Wish I would have just went for it anyways. It was a fun experience, but you definitely work for your money, and I found it a bit stressful. You set up on a good field that all the birds are hitting. Just to watch flock after flock fly right past you, just out of range.
That is a great video. I think the future of traditional TV has a grim future. Right now my plan is to film a bunch of hunts this season and see if we can put something half decent together. Next summer guide school in the Yukon and then hopefully get on doing what ever I can with an outfitter up there.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
That is a great video. I think the future of traditional TV has a grim future. Right now my plan is to film a bunch of hunts this season and see if we can put something half decent together. Next summer guide school in the Yukon and then hopefully get on doing what ever I can with an outfitter up there.
Are you a horse guy ?

What I mean is can you ride and deal with horses for extended periods of time ?

Do you want to deal with horses for extended periods of time ?
Old 07-30-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Are you a horse guy ?

What I mean is can you ride and deal with horses for extended periods of time ?

Do you want to deal with horses for extended periods of time ?
Currently I have zero time with horses. That is the main reason I was looking at the guide school, so I can learn about wrangling. I have heard some horror stories about working with horses, but I also know a few guys that won't go without them. I personally like the idea of using llamas or goats.