Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-11-2017, 04:35 PM

Default Career's in the hunting world

Hey all
I was hoping to start a conversation about different careers in the hunting world. I was fortunate enough to spend the last 12 years working in the oil and gas industry. The money has been amazing and I have worked with a lot of great people but it's time to do something I really enjoy. I've been thinking about guiding, start a youtube hunting channel or even try my hand at making hunting apparel. Just curious if anyone else is thinking about these kind of things or has any other ideas.
cheers
Old 07-11-2017, 04:42 PM

I was thinking of the same thing as well, along either the lines of being a writer or creating background music for videos.

Starting at this point would be a tough go - there's lots of royalty-free music available, and I just don't have the time to put in all the work to get established in the writing world - it's not an easy job.

Sticking to my day job - plus, I'm too old and broke to quit now!

I hope you find a path that works for you! You may be the "next big thing" - that would be awesome!
Old 07-11-2017, 04:47 PM

Guiding is fun, but you certainly don't do it for the money. More of taking a break from your real job every year to escape reality.

The clothing industry seems to be pretty cut throat from what I've seen, many have tried and lost a lot of money trying to grow into something and never making it.

The YouTube channel looks like fun. But a lot of work for little to no cash reward.

My advice would be to pick something you love doing and if you make a little extra then good deal, but I wouldn't quit my day job
Old 07-11-2017, 04:52 PM

Curious, how experienced are you in hunting?

Guiding is a career you can do well in. But be prepared to work hard and earn you're money. I unfortunately have no advice on how to get into the job.. but I'm guessing as a seasonal guide assistant is the best option for getting your foot in the door.

Hunting youtube channels and clothing lines is very very tough to outright make a living off. It's more of a hoby that costs you money and very very rarely, you luck out and end up making it big time. Kinda like starting a rock band haha

Good luck though. Nothing is impossible. If you do a channel, I live in Calgary too. Depending on how we got along, I wouldn't mind volunteering my time to film some day hunts for fun. Even just so you can practice "making an episode".

There is a good meat eater podcast with HUSHIN that might help!
Old 07-11-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF8889 View Post
Hunting youtube channels and clothing lines is very very tough to outright make a living off. It's more of a hoby that costs you money and very very rarely, you luck out and end up making it big time. Kinda like starting a rock band haha
Good analogy with the rock band!

The key to good videos (besides having good footage) is good editing - scene pacing, keeping commentary concise (edit out the "uh, um" stuff), use decent miking (minimize wind noise, use foley where practical) etc. Time spent there will help attract a good audience and possibly sponsors.

Then you can go buy wireless mics, gimbals, a few extra cameras... etc.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:31 PM

Ask gloszz lol
Old 07-11-2017, 07:16 PM

Default Sometimes to make it you've got to invest.

I Always thought of an Alberta based online store for outdoor gear. If you do your research and can bring in a lot of the best brands you may do ok.
You could start with what category of hunting you know best and expand from their. The hardest part is getting companies to let you into their dealer list to sell their merchandise.
Remember you start a business and work harder than you ever have before.
Good luck.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Guiding is fun, but you certainly don't do it for the money. More of taking a break from your real job every year to escape reality.

The clothing industry seems to be pretty cut throat from what I've seen, many have tried and lost a lot of money trying to grow into something and never making it.

The YouTube channel looks like fun. But a lot of work for little to no cash reward.

My advice would be to pick something you love doing and if you make a little extra then good deal, but I wouldn't quit my day job
The money for guiding is great you just have to stay away from the cheap outfitters who are out to fill their own pockets. The outfitters who pay good and treat their guides good never have to look for new guides every year because they know their guides are returning.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:36 AM

I've only been hunting for 10 years, so in the grand scheme of things not that long. I would say the last 4 seasons I have averaged 50+ days per season in the field hunting and scouting. I have been a subscriber to the Meat Eater podcast from day one I will have to go back and check out that HUSHIN podcast again. I would definitely be interested in meeting up and talking more about filming. If your interested check out my instagram @kristian.gough to get a better idea of what I'm up to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF8889 View Post
Curious, how experienced are you in hunting?

Guiding is a career you can do well in. But be prepared to work hard and earn you're money. I unfortunately have no advice on how to get into the job.. but I'm guessing as a seasonal guide assistant is the best option for getting your foot in the door.

Good luck though. Nothing is impossible. If you do a channel, I live in Calgary too. Depending on how we got along, I wouldn't mind volunteering my time to film some day hunts for fun. Even just so you can practice "making an episode".

There is a good meat eater podcast with HUSHIN that might help!
Old 07-12-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointer View Post
The money for guiding is great you just have to stay away from the cheap outfitters who are out to fill their own pockets. The outfitters who pay good and treat their guides good never have to look for new guides every year because they know their guides are returning.
I agree. This year I'm upping my guides wages to 500/day each so they're inline with oilfield wages. I'm also going to with a bonus structure based on performance by inch the guide produces !!!

Everybody should be happy until next year when we go out of business and they're no longer employed.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
I Always thought of an Alberta based online store for outdoor gear. If you do your research and can bring in a lot of the best brands you may do ok.
You could start with what category of hunting you know best and expand from their. The hardest part is getting companies to let you into their dealer list to sell their merchandise.
Remember you start a business and work harder than you ever have before.
Good luck.
The online store is a great idea, with AMAZON you can get a ton of reach and go well beyond Alberta. Like you said getting the brands is the tough part as a lot have very large minimum orders which can be very $$$. As for business goes, this will be my fourth time starting a company. Hard work and no pay is something I have grown accustomed too. Luckily my consulting business always brings in the money. The two consistent reasons the other 2 companies are not around are I was not passionate about what I was doing, it was just for the money, and the other was picking the wrong business partners.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:06 AM

The online sales idea is a good one - I'll bet that there are several retailers in Alberta who are struggling with online sales (either they don't have compelling sites, or they just don't rank high enough in search engines). You could set up a kind of a common gateway for them - sure, they may compete with each other, but it could save them a lot of hassle, while providing income for you as a percentage of sales.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:

There is a good chance my wife will not let me quit my day job again to start another venture haha. I do think guiding or a season working with an outfitter in some fashion is in the cards. My only hesitation is giving up my hunting season.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubuck View Post
My only hesitation is giving up my hunting season.
Meh, if you have a chance to give it a try, and don't do it, you may regret it.

Plus, as a guide you get all the thrill (and work) of the hunt anyhow... You just aren't the one pulling the trigger.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:41 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I agree. This year I'm upping my guides wages to 500/day each so they're inline with oilfield wages. I'm also going to with a bonus structure based on performance by inch the guide produces !!!

Everybody should be happy until next year when we go out of business and they're no longer employed.
LOLOLOLOLOL

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-12-2017, 10:44 AM

Get a marketing degree and then try to get in with an outdoors company such as rapala or browning, etc.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:48 PM

Lol
Kinda like farming eh Tork...............
Old 07-13-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Get a marketing degree and then try to get in with an outdoors company such as rapala or browning, etc.
Alberta rep for First Lite would be a sweet gig.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:36 PM

If I had a couple of mill to spare an outdoor archery range in Calgary would probably do well. I love Jim-bows but shooting outside is so much nicer.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
If I had a couple of mill to spare an outdoor archery range in Calgary would probably do well. I love Jim-bows but shooting outside is so much nicer.
Calgary district target shooters association has one.

www.cdtsa.ca
Old 07-13-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:

I was just about to quit my day job when I started reading this. I might if you throw in a bonus trip to new zealand for stag!
Old 07-14-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:

What do you outfit for?
Old 07-14-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
Lol
Well, like I always say - if I ever win the lottery, I'll take up farming and do it until my money's all gone!
Old 07-14-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
Lol
No **** !!!

Everybody thinks us Outfitters are greedy and in it for the money. My dad didn't own this outfit before me so I had to buy it all. Eventually I hope I make more then my guides do each year 😂😂😂 lol
Old 07-14-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowguy101 View Post
What do you outfit for?
Moose, Caribou, Elk, Grizzly, Black bear, Whitetails and Mule deer, cats, and wolves
Old 07-14-2017, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
No **** !!!

Everybody thinks us Outfitters are greedy and in it for the money. My dad didn't own this outfit before me so I had to buy it all. Eventually I hope I make more then my guides do each year 😂😂😂 lol
Yep, Harry's a good salesman..you have lots to recoup. He always sells oneor two a year an outfitter has raped before he sells. At least you have a good area so in five or ten years you should be farting through silk..LOL
Old 07-15-2017, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13mileranch View Post
Yep, Harry's a good salesman..you have lots to recoup. He always sells oneor two a year an outfitter has raped before he sells. At least you have a good area so in five or ten years you should be farting through silk..LOL
Luckily game wise the area was basically untouched for the last 10-15 years as the previous Outfitter basically didn't use it, unfortunately the previous outfitter didn't use it leaving the logistics underdeveloped to say the least

And Harry, had no part in our deal other then listing the pictures
Old 07-15-2017, 12:55 PM

The hunting related career I'm in is meat processing, I love it but it does cut into my personal hunting time a lot
Old 07-16-2017, 01:26 PM

Hey Tork, just curious what kind of things do you look for in prospective guide? I plan on taking all season off work and beefing up my hunting resume and would like to take a crack at guiding next season.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hey Tork, just curious what kind of things do you look for in prospective guide? I plan on taking all season off work and beefing up my hunting resume and would like to take a crack at guiding next season.
Hey get in line at 500 bucks a day he is the king pin of outfitters in north america for top quality of guides .... plus a bonus.

Hey he's from Ontario and a used car lot. They know how to do it right. Dig into it.. a third generation used car lot family gone western. Seriously check it out. What a joke.