Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-19-2017, 09:46 AM

Put car ramps in the front of he box the extra height of the front end should allow for the tailgate to close. did that with my Ram and Brute force.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:55 AM

Default Best Hunting Vehicle

A friend of mine drove one of those silly Lada's back in the 90's.
It was the damnest vehicle. Could turn on a dime, was real skinny, light, and easy to winch out. Suspension was terrible. It also had a crank start if the battery was dead.
He drove that thing into the ground. The crazy part is that he bought it at auction and only paid $50.00
Old 07-19-2017, 10:25 AM

I often thought back to those Ladas, and wondered how fun those would be as a hunting buggy.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I often thought back to those Ladas, and wondered how fun those would be as a hunting buggy.
Had two of them. Quad with heaters, tough, go anywhere, easy to fix, repaired the fuel pump on one when the diaphragm cracked with a piece of inner tube and it ran that way for 90,000 klms. Lots of room for two guys, dog and gear. Drive your quad to where you hunt, small winch front and back, had full locking transfer case with high low range and lockable diffs. Best vehicle on washboard I ever drove, four wheel independent suspension. My brother put over 300,000 klms on the second one, I gave it to him at 130,000.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:16 AM

Default Hunting Vehicle

Very cool, Dean2!

A friend of mine used a Korean War surplus army ambulance.

A bench on each side to sleep on, and slip a whole moose down the middle. Could push trees down with that thing!
Old 07-20-2017, 12:29 AM

If you're looking for fuel efficiency and don't mind paying the price tag, the new GMC Canyon with the diesel in it gets around 7.5-8l/100km on the highway..know this from experience as I just did a trip from Red Deer to Lethbridge in one, doing highway speeds, pulling a small boat and got around 10l/100km. Unreal fuel economy, comfortable ride, but I can't speak to its off road capabilities.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:11 AM

Grand Cherokee
Old 07-20-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Best hunting vehicle I had in last 50 years was International Scout truck with a PTO driven winch. The transfer case would drive the winch indifferent gears, could pull me out of anything I would find driving many miles of cutlines/ravens/muskeg. Ran v-bar chains on all four wheels would climb anything in the bush with 2 range manual transmission. Only problem sucker was cold in -40oC weather and sure worked hard hauling moose out of the bush, but always came home.
Now we're talking!
Old 07-20-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBoy0919 View Post
If you're looking for fuel efficiency and don't mind paying the price tag, the new GMC Canyon with the diesel in it gets around 7.5-8l/100km on the highway..know this from experience as I just did a trip from Red Deer to Lethbridge in one, doing highway speeds, pulling a small boat and got around 10l/100km. Unreal fuel economy, comfortable ride, but I can't speak to its off road capabilities.
50k price tag!!! Ouch