Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-08-2017, 08:53 PM

Default Sheep Pic

It's time.

Last edited by ram crazy; 02-23-2022 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:10 PM

Beauty! Thanks for sharing. I'll be heading back out next weekend myself. This gets me fired up.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:59 PM

I've been out a few times. Seen some decent ones but it seems with the weather they like it in the trees this year.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:19 PM

Here's one from last month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2017, 11:37 PM

nice pics
Old 07-09-2017, 06:58 AM
Banned

Nice to see some actual pics. Thanks for posting them! Not really that long until opening day.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:48 AM

i agree, thank you for the pictures. As a non sheep hunter (maybe one day) its cool to get to see these. Few and far between for sheep
Old 07-09-2017, 08:10 PM

Another sheep

Old 07-09-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
It's time.
Nice to see sheep, but those need a few more age rings.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:35 PM

Last night I typed up a post joking about "how long until the squeaker comments?". I deleted it because I didn't want to get that **** show started.
I guess it didn't take long lol.
Some great pics. Sheep of any gender and size are always interesting to me. Keep them coming
Old 07-09-2017, 09:35 PM

Forgive my ignorance of Alberta hunting. Do bighorn have to be full curl or is it based on age/combo of both? No Bighorns up here so no idea if full curl is the standard.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:22 PM

One more

Old 07-09-2017, 11:20 PM

How is that even comfy to bed down on? It's not hunting season, don't sheep move out of sheep country on summer vacation?
Old 07-10-2017, 06:07 AM

Juveniles
Old 07-10-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I've been out a few times. Seen some decent ones but it seems with the weather they like it in the trees this year.
When you have a situation with sheep staying in the trees, how do you even locate them? Last year was my first year hunting sheep and I located a group on the first evening but then couldn't find sheep again in the area and suspected they were staying in the trees. Any tips on locating them once they get into the trees and seem to stay there?
Old 07-10-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDR View Post
Forgive my ignorance of Alberta hunting. Do bighorn have to be full curl or is it based on age/combo of both? No Bighorns up here so no idea if full curl is the standard.
Horn length in the aspect of how much of a curl they have.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Juveniles
But they're all legal. The pics aren't the greatest, 3 will make the legal 4/5 and the last pic that one makes full curl. So I wouldn't call them juveniles, because according to the Alberta hunting regs a 4/5 is legal. Is that the best you can come up with.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhunter View Post
When you have a situation with sheep staying in the trees, how do you even locate them? Last year was my first year hunting sheep and I located a group on the first evening but then couldn't find sheep again in the area and suspected they were staying in the trees. Any tips on locating them once they get into the trees and seem to stay there?
Hunt them like whitetails in a way. Usually when they are in the trees they are near a water source and often a mineral lick.
I shot one once probably 2 miles form the nearest mountain near a decent sized river that the sheep had an old trail along. There were a few open patches in the trees that the rams would come out every morning and night for a couple hrs and then back to hiding. They were in the aspens they were so low. Find the licks and the water and the beds and sheep poop and hang tight and put your time in...
Old 07-10-2017, 07:37 PM

Wow what a memorable hunt, that's crazy! Completely away from the mountains and everything.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:46 PM

So true Nube, I've found Rams before standing in a river no where near mountains. When it's hot out start looking in the off the wall places and you will be surprised where you can find them.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:19 PM

I find a lot of rams near bottoms of mountains in those real deep shoots. Some only 80 yards wide but cliffs on the side. You basically have to stock up and down them. Once you find their bedding areas , licks and waterholes then jackpot! Just got to spend time weeding them out in tight quarters.
They sure look surprised when you bump into them lol

You find these spots looking for the faint trails through the bush and along the travel routes from higher up on the mountains. It takes a few years to sort these spots out but once you do it's worth it
Old 07-10-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Hunt them like whitetails in a way. Usually when they are in the trees they are near a water source and often a mineral lick.
I shot one once probably 2 miles form the nearest mountain near a decent sized river that the sheep had an old trail along. There were a few open patches in the trees that the rams would come out every morning and night for a couple hrs and then back to hiding. They were in the aspens they were so low. Find the licks and the water and the beds and sheep poop and hang tight and put your time in...
Dandy ram!

-Billy Molls
Old 07-11-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
But they're all legal. The pics aren't the greatest, 3 will make the legal 4/5 and the last pic that one makes full curl. So I wouldn't call them juveniles, because according to the Alberta hunting regs a 4/5 is legal. Is that the best you can come up with.
Squeakers. At best. I would not encourage anyone to kill a barley legal ram. Where are there mothers I'm sure they are still sucking on the tit.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Squeakers. At best. I would not encourage anyone to kill a barley legal ram. Where are there mothers I'm sure they are still sucking on the tit.
Ramcrazy, I'd like to know what you did to get this guy fired up! Must have some lower body envy or something? Maybe an ex wife ? He's your biggest fan😎
Old 07-11-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedogg View Post
Ramcrazy, I'd like to know what you did to get this guy fired up! Must have some lower body envy or something? Maybe an ex wife ? He's your biggest fan😎
Maybe he can post a few pics up here and show us some real rams he has shot if he is concerned about it...
This forum is sure full of haters
Old 07-11-2017, 09:06 AM

All wonderful big horn sheep of alberta, thanks for sharing ramcrazy .
Old 07-11-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedogg View Post
He got his feelings hurt over the new provincial park discussion. All of these rams are in hunt able territory.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
He got his feelings hurt over the new provincial park discussion. All of these rams are in hunt able territory.
And really does it matter if they are huntable or not lol Nice to see some pics and especially legal ones. Most guys would give their left nut to see one of those while hunting!
I wish I wasn't such a wimp and would start carrying my camera around with me.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:53 PM

Thanks for this advice Nube! And nice ram!

Quote:
Old 07-11-2017, 11:01 PM

This one i found on a steep slope just off a creek between 2 mountains. The rams were probably 2/3 down the mountain and there were trees above them for most of the ways to the top of the mountain. They hung out in the trees and crossed these open slopes to feed when it cooled down during the day.