Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-07-2017, 08:52 PM

Default Recommend a good hunting boot

Hello all, I'm in the process of getting back into shape and wanna start hiking soon. I want to buy a proper pair of hunting boots this year. And plan to break them before hunting season starts. Anyone have any good recomondations?

My goal is to do a ton of walking this year, trying to get away from using atv's or vehicle's then walking the last 500-700yards when an animal is spotted. I normally wear **** kickers (cowboy boots) or arctic muck boots. I find the **** kickers are lousy to walk long distances and the mucks are way to warm even for October and November weather.

I live in the country and would make the trip to edmonton for a good pair
Old 07-07-2017, 09:37 PM
Banned

I have a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX for sale, size 11. They are going to take you anywhere you want and more. The only reason I am selling is because I bought the Lowa Hunter GTX Evo Extreme and do not need both pairs.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:37 PM

I have been very happy with my Keen brand hiking boots for a general outdoors boot. Comfortable, durable and waterproof. Not a great mountain hunting boot for rock and shale but not bad either.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newview01 View Post
i have a pair of lowa tibet gtx for sale, size 11. They are going to take you anywhere you want and more. The only reason i am selling is because i bought the lowa hunter gtx evo extreme and do not need both pairs.
this
Old 07-07-2017, 10:59 PM

The Danner Canadian is one heckuva good all-round boot. Buy once, cry once, then wear them comfortably for years in all types of conditions. Mine are going on fifteen years and still going strong. There is nothing like a high quality leather boot for comfort and longevity IMHO.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:56 PM

Default Irish

Been wearing Irish Setters for about 10 years now and have no complaints.

Morb
Old 07-08-2017, 03:16 AM

Lowa/scarpa or merrell fr cantire for decent/cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2017, 07:57 AM

Default Lowa GTX

Just bought a pair of these, they're the combat boot version.
Will be used for work and outdoors.
Paid $221 Cdn brand new.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Just bought a pair of these, they're the combat boot version.
Will be used for work and outdoors.
Paid $221 Cdn brand new.
I am on my second pair. First had Zephyr GTX, put many miles on them for 3 years. My only complaint was that they were not waterproof.

Now I have the Innox GTX Mid, they are worn for work every day. Also waterproof so I can hunt the warmer weeks with them before needing my Hunter Evo Extremes.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:50 AM

I have a pair of Hanwag boots bought from Track and Trail in Edmonton, and a pair of Mendle boots bought 20 years ago from Cabela's. Happy with both pair. At work I wear Keens and am happy with them. Have 3 different pairs of them actually, and switch up to give my feet a break from wearing the same boot every day. Unfortunately we have to have steel toes for work.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:23 AM

Irish setter elk tracker 600. The best boots ever. I used to wear hanwags but found them too narrow.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:48 AM
Banned

Arrow

I always wore my old gore tex leather boots, they were fine, kept my feet dry and great ankle support but heavy. Switched over to some light weight hikers and will never go back to heavy boots. Feet stay warm, no cold clammy feet, they stay dry and shed the elements. Did I mention how light weight they are and comfortable?

I normally have a fairly good idea and know what the topography will be like and match my footwear accordingly.

SALOMON X ULTRA MID 2 GTX LIGHT TRAIL SHOES - MEN'S

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5039-4...ht-Trail-Shoes

MERRELL MOAB 2 WATERPROOF LIGHT TRAIL SHOES - MEN'S
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5051-6...ht-Trail-Shoes
Old 07-08-2017, 01:28 PM
Banned

I wouldn't cheap out no matter which boot you decide to go with. I bought a pair of some Rocky Waterproof ones and they tore after one season and I do not hunt that much in rough terrain. Super disappointed and for $200 I would think they would last a bit longer...
Old 07-08-2017, 04:30 PM

I just bought my first pair of good boots. Irish Setter Elk trackers. The most comfortable boot I have ever tried on. Still breaking them in, but I love them so far. Red Wing shoes owns Irish Setter. I assumed red wing shoes was a shoe store, turns out its more of a boot store. There is nobody up here that sells the other good boot brands, so I never tried lowa or kenetrex. $330? Build Quality seems fantastic. I thought the stiff shank and high boot would be restrictive but it is not. "the boot does the work on broken ground instead of your feet" or so says the salesman.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:47 PM

Another vote for elk trackers. You can get them in varying insulation amounts if you buy them on amazon
Old 07-08-2017, 05:12 PM

I have been wearing Meindls for around 25 years and no issues at all. They break in quick, and the gore text remains waterproof.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:15 PM

I have a pair of these I ordered from the States. I went online to check if you could get them in Canada, and found this uber sweet deal. These are 400 dollar boots leather lined, very popular with the Europe hiking crowd. Leather lined, not gortex, but I cross creeks with mine after treating them and have never gotten wet feet. Highly recommend, especially at that price. Do a search online for reviews.

http://www.matrix-digi.ca/sneakers-m...re-p-3720.html

Edit: The site does not list the widths of the boots, that is something you should check out before ordering.

Thomas Sowell

Last edited by pikergolf; 07-08-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:46 PM

Kenetrek boots. The best, next to custom boot. $425.00.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:19 PM

Hanwags from track n Trail.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" 1935-Adolf Hitler
Old 07-08-2017, 08:25 PM
Banned

I tried Irish setters and a few other boots including Han wags I went and tried the new Rockys and are the ever comfortable. My last pair lasted me 9 years and I walk a lot, I know I don't sheep hunt yet but have hopes they will last
Old 07-08-2017, 10:13 PM

Looking too for new boots ,anybody try crispi boots.Seems not that common.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius131 View Post
Been wearing Irish Setters for about 10 years now and have no complaints.

Morb
x2,i have more than one brand,but I keep going back to my Irish Setters.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:07 PM

I have had a number of different brands, including Mendl, Danner and Hanwag. All good boots, but for me personally, the Hanwag is a boot that I can put on and it feels like they have already been broken in. Good luck in your search!
Old 07-11-2017, 06:48 PM

Another vote for Hanwags from Track & Trail in Edmonton, the best boots that I have ever owned. Track & Trail also has amazing customer service, they exchanged the first pair of Hanwags I bought there after I had used them for a weekend (I screwed up and bought a half size too small), great staff and good info.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:10 PM

I just priced some kenetreks. They are in the $600 range now. I used Krispi boots. They are double goretex lined. No complaints on them.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:32 PM

bought a set of danner 22 yrs ago on vancouver island. hike everywere don't own a quad .van island mountains and wet, feet are still dry. gave them to my 18yr son 4 yrs ago and bought the irish setter elk trackers . if my son doesn't come with me i take my danners.been here 3yrs and the flat land and miles of walking they are a lot lighter.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:12 PM

I'm not scrolling back to see if these have been mentioned, but I got 8 years and hundreds of miles out of my Irish setter Elk trackers. Goretex and thinsulate. Never leaked. Great for everything but serious mountain work. I'm on my second set.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkamaniac View Post
Looking too for new boots ,anybody try crispi boots.Seems not that common.
The exchange rate is not worth buying the crispi boots unless there is any in canada but i have not found them.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:59 PM

I've spent quite a bit of time lately considering a new boot purchase for the upcoming season, decided to go with the Cabela's Meindl Perfekt 7". Shall see how they do when they arrive/this upcoming season.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham View Post
I've spent quite a bit of time lately considering a new boot purchase for the upcoming season, decided to go with the Cabela's Meindl Perfekt 7". Shall see how they do when they arrive/this upcoming season.
I just made this exact purchase and I am very happy I did!! I have chewed threw alots of boots but these are a step above.