Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-09-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Coil oil, wanna add your arrow suggestions to the other thread too? http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=322582

Other than going with fmj, I'm not too sure how I'd get 500 grains. One day I'll spend the coin on them but so far I'll stick with goldtip on sale
Not really. The OP already chose his new arrows.

Easiest way to make weight is by putting it up front where it'll do you the most good. 3riversarchery and eBay sell brass inserts, lots of broadheads are available at 125 and 150 grains. I prefer 150 grain broadheads because there is a lot more meat in them and they're a whole lot stronger then a 100 grain head.
With centershot bows and carbon arrows the increased point weight isn't as much of an issue on spine as it used to be. Aluminums and wood or Trad archery it's fairly critical but it's not hard to tune a 300 spine arrow with 200 grains up front from a 70 or 80lb bow.
I have a ton of fmj's and one day I'll probably shoot them again but for the past few years I've been shooting gold tip big game 100's and they're strong enough I don't foot them.
My fmj's are footed as are all of my other carbon arrows. If I was looking for a new shaft I would buy some gold tip kinetics and run a brass HIT insert and possibly a footing if I found it to need one. From my experience with gold tip and how thick those arrows are I suspect they wouldn't need any footing.
I like to hunt with many different broadheads so I adjust insert weight to match broadhead weight so my total point weight is the same. For example I might shoot a 150 grain 1.25" vpa broadhead with a 50 grain insert, a 125 grain 1.5" striker with a 75 grain insert and a 100 grain spitfire with a 100 grain insert. All of the arrows weight the same and hit the same poi but I have some flexibility with my broadhead choices.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:27 AM

Ok great stuff. Thanks