Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-16-2017, 09:16 PM

Default T&T Archery closing

Just read this a bit ago, we are loosing another archery shop.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:27 PM

Yes heard earlier today, sad for sure. Enjoyed shooting league nights there, had a lot of laughs.

LC
Old 01-16-2017, 09:40 PM

I never even made it into this shop. Such a shame to lose another small business.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:49 PM

That is really too bad my son loves to go there and shoot his bow and John and Diane have always been really good to him.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:07 PM

Figures, I was planning on stopping by tomorrow for some much needed target practice.

According to their website they have already shut their doors

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 01-16-2017, 11:15 PM

Disappointing to hear. I'd rather see both cabelas stores and both wss stores close up and these personalized places stick around. I think it says more about the thinking of the spender than the ways of the business owner
Old 01-16-2017, 11:20 PM

http://tandtarchery.com/

Many just don't see the value of using small local businesses!! Quite sad really!!
Old 01-16-2017, 11:38 PM

Disappointing to hear they are done.
Price wise it's tough to compete with the big corporate stores.... but the price of the item doesn't reflect the service or the knowledge that sells the product.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigiron View Post
Disappointing to hear they are done.
Price wise it's tough to compete with the big corporate stores.... but the price of the item doesn't reflect the service or the knowledge that sells the product.
X2. Will echo those sentiments. It's frustrating that the small archery businesses struggle. I have not seen a box store start a league, junior program or coach new entrants to archery yet. Newbies should keep this in mind when they look at a $500 kit bow vs spending a couple hundred more for what is usually a better bow and accessories (plus a ton of service).
Old 01-17-2017, 12:21 AM

John and Dianne did a ton for youth archery including school programs and had a very popular archery youth program that was always full. I will say that they did more for archery that all of the box stores combined but Unfortunately completing against them for pricing is impossible. Range time and passes just don't pay the bills. I told my son tonight that the shop had closed and for an 8 year old who loves archery and loved going to the range it was like losing a friend and made me sad for him when he cried at the news. I am going to miss the two of us spending a crappy cold winter day going to the shop and shooting.

I personally saw John help at least two people who had purchased bow packages from Cabalas or Kijiji and then he worked and set them up and charged them nothing in the hopes of building a client relationship. I am sure this happend much more that the two times I witnessed it.

No offence to the the box stores or the other small,shops inthe region but my opinion is the Edmonton region has lost its biggest supporter of youth archery
Old 01-17-2017, 06:46 AM

See it all the time. A bow package is $10 cheaper at a box store, then after purchase the customer takes it to a local shop to setup and have it tuned and shoot it.

That service is worth something, a lot more than the $10 saved on the purchase. Why not spend the extra $10 at the small shop? then the bow setup is free and you support local. The box stores have diversity, clothing...fishing...camping. The small archery shops specialize in one on one and transfer of knowledge.

LC
Old 01-17-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
See it all the time. A bow package is $10 cheaper at a box store, then after purchase the customer takes it to a local shop to setup and have it tuned and shoot it.

That service is worth something, a lot more than the $10 saved on the purchase. Why not spend the extra $10 at the small shop? then the bow setup is free and you support local. The box stores have diversity, clothing...fishing...camping. The small archery shops specialize in one on one and transfer of knowledge.

LC
Could not have said it better myself.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:46 PM

Any word on a closing out sale? Certainly not looking to cash in on their misfortune, but I rather pick up items there that I know I will need in the future (arrows, fletching, etc) and help with the financial loss of closing shop.

Really sad to see them close.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Any word on a closing out sale? Certainly not looking to cash in on their misfortune, but I rather pick up items there that I know I will need in the future (arrows, fletching, etc) and help with the financial loss of closing shop.

I was messaged yesterday and told the store closed for the last time on Sunday. I assume that means no there will not be anymore sales.

LC
Old 01-17-2017, 02:40 PM

This may be a side bar but is Sherwood Park Archery still open? I use to stop in there and shoot when I was working in Sherwood park. I think Dallas may have been the owner?
Old 01-17-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:

I stopped by today as I thought John might have been there. There is nothing to indicate that shop was closing so I would assume this migh not have been a 100% closing on there own. Also no notice from sheriff or landlord which would be the case if notice of seizure or default was initiated. If I get any additional info that I can share I will post.

I still think there might be a good business there so it has my interest peaked a bit.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
This may be a side bar but is Sherwood Park Archery still open? I use to stop in there and shoot when I was working in Sherwood park. I think Dallas may have been the owner?
No Dallas drove that place into the ground and screwed so many people over....

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 01-17-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
I stopped by today as I thought John might have been there. There is nothing to indicate that shop was closing so I would assume this migh not have been a 100% closing on there own. Also no notice from sheriff or landlord which would be the case if notice of seizure or default was initiated. If I get any additional info that I can share I will post.

I still think there might be a good business there so it has my interest peaked a bit.
I have dealt with John and Diane on several occasions and I highly doubt they would have allowed a forced closure to happen. They are honest folks and I believe that John or Diane was an account prior to starting they business, so I am sure everything is on the up and up.

Not sure why you would speculate or suggest otherwise.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I have dealt with John and Diane on several occasions and I highly doubt they would have allowed a forced closure to happen. They are honest folks and I believe that John or Diane was an account prior to starting they business, so I am sure everything is on the up and up.

Not sure why you would speculate or suggest otherwise.
I know that they were honest great people as I spend a bunch of time in the shop with my son and spent a fair bit of cash in there. Refer to my post above.

I was not speculating to be rude or mean spirited. My point is that sometimes people who are honest and hard working sometimes are so determined to make something work that they don't see the real finances until too late. I hope that they are ok and that they come out of it in ok shape but locking the doors and closing shop without liquidating assets looks very much like a business that got into trouble and had there decisions made by someone else other than themselves.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:55 PM

Always hate to hear about another small business going under and from everything I heard it was a great shop, I spent a little more to buy from a small shop with all the knowledge rather then a box store for these very reasons
Old 01-18-2017, 06:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Exactly to bad we can't have the best of both worlds.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-18-2017, 07:20 AM

T&T was my go to shop. Sad to see it close. My wife and I use to shoot there. He builds a hell of a bow string too!

They will be missed!
Old 01-19-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
I know that they were honest great people as I spend a bunch of time in the shop with my son and spent a fair bit of cash in there. Refer to my post above.

I was not speculating to be rude or mean spirited. My point is that sometimes people who are honest and hard working sometimes are so determined to make something work that they don't see the real finances until too late. I hope that they are ok and that they come out of it in ok shape but locking the doors and closing shop without liquidating assets looks very much like a business that got into trouble and had there decisions made by someone else other than themselves.
Have talked to them and they are fine. Decided to close the shop before they got into financial trouble which was extremely smart on their part. John still intends to do work for those of us requiring assistance out of his home.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:26 PM

I drove to the shop Wednesday around 3 and was greeted by the landlords saying the business is closing their doors and they were just noticed by the owners that day. It was really sad news to hear. I bought my IQ sight from them and they set it up and showed me how to use it. Great folks doing a great thing. Glad to hear they are doing good and a smart choice to get out before to much trouble. Sad this economy is worse than i realized, my buddies long time custom diesel shop just closed it doors as well due to the slow times.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:03 AM

Default T andT

I'm going to miss all the help and comraderie at the shop. Wed nite were a lot of fun. Sad to see for sure..
Old 01-24-2017, 09:22 PM

It's up to us to support places like this.
I was a customer of theirs, and received great service...although my few dollars here and there didn't help enough.

In a world of cabelas hoodies, and Bass Pro hats....not to mention the various On Line stores...I still try and teach my kids that there is so much value in supporting the mom and pop stores.
I also supported ...and enjoyed..the other place in Sherwood Park that closed not long ago.

Good on the owners for trying to make it work, and all the best in whatever they do next.

The hunting community needs to support our "mom and pop" stores.