Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-09-2016, 02:32 PM

Default Trapline Relinquishment Update per ATA

This was posted on ATA website today, things are moving forward.

http://www.albertatrappers.com/pdf/T...n%20Update.pdf

Re: Interim Trapping Administrative Reference Document

The following agreement has been reached between the Alberta Environment and Parks Fur Team and the Alberta Trappers’ Association Provincial Issues Strategy Team on November 7, 2016 and will take affect after the Assistant Deputy Minister has given official approval.
Until consultation between AEP and the ATA is completed and an administrative process has been agreed to in the next year or so regarding Trapping Administration, conditional relinquishments will be allowed based on the following minimum criteria:
The purchaser of the trapline (assets) must have a minimum of three years of trapping experience within the last ten years, must have successfully completed the standard trapping course since 2003, and must be a junior on the RFMA (if not already a junior on the line, then the applicant must immediately be signed on to qualify). The course requirement is to ensure that the applicants have not simply passed the previously allowed challenge exam and also that they are current on humane, safe and most reliable practices.
In the case where a trapper passes away and the spouse wishes to take over or sell the trapline, there must be a prior directive filed with the Fish and Wildlife office that states that the spouse/partner is to become the new owner of the trapline in the case of the Senior holder’s death. The qualifications are that the spouse/partner is a junior on the line and possesses a valid Alberta trapping licence.
Anne Coles
President, Alberta Trappers Association
Old 11-10-2016, 06:59 AM

Let the whining begin
Old 11-10-2016, 07:22 AM

The spouse can trap without being a junior or did i read the regs wrong?
or is it only if the line is to be handed to the spouse that they need to be signed up as a junior and have the said trapping course?
Old 11-10-2016, 08:53 AM

Does not make sense, wife is suppose to predict when her husband will die, then becomes a active junior, just to save loosing the family assets of cabin etc.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:26 AM

I don't understand why you consider this so unreasonable Big Grey Wolf? There's no predicting needed, one day we will all die that's a certainty. Get it taken care of now then there's no problem.

The cost of a trappers course would be cheap if you consider the peace of mind you would get knowing your assets will go to her.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:56 PM

I am a little confused, in the document it says

'course requirement is to ensure that the applicants have not simply passed the previously allowed challenge exam and also that they are current on humane, safe and most reliable practices.'

In my case I challenged and passed the test 10 years ago, was a junior and now have been senior partner on a line for the last 6years.

According to this I still don't qualify to purchase a line? Seems a little out of of whack.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M shooter View Post
In my case I challenged and passed the test 10 years ago, was a junior and now have been senior partner on a line for the last 6years.

According to this I still don't qualify to purchase a line? Seems a little out of of whack.
Hopefully your instructor will be at least half as qualified as you are.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:29 PM

This Is all still BS and yes I am going to Whine Moose Maniac.....
My wife has no interest in trapping.....why would she bother to take a course
Why is that not fair she is passed the line and a timeline to sell it at min. instead of making her do something she does not want to do?
And I think it is Bogus that I have to have the guy signed up on my line as a Junior to be able to sell it to him. If I want to sell my line then let me fricken sell it when I want to
Old 11-10-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
This Is all still BS and yes I am going to Whine Moose Maniac.....
My wife has no interest in trapping.....why would she bother to take a course
Why is that not fair she is passed the line and a timeline to sell it at min. instead of making her do something she does not want to do?
And I think it is Bogus that I have to have the guy signed up on my line as a Junior to be able to sell it to him. If I want to sell my line then let me fricken sell it when I want to
X2
Old 11-10-2016, 09:58 PM

And Why is it that I need to file anything with Fish and Wildlife that says I want my line passed on to my wife when I die......? Of course that should be exactly what should happen no matter what. That's a given. I am really not seeing much difference than what was previously shoved down our throats a few months ago or am I missing something?
Old 11-10-2016, 10:43 PM
Banned

Nube, how can we expect anything different with what there is at the table supposedly looking after our interests.. I USED to say..if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem....I guess I am the problem cause I didn't/wouldn't cast a vote for most of them...bottom line
Old 11-11-2016, 10:21 AM

You know what guys, I'm actually pretty happy with this new interim agreement.

For somebody to buy a line they need to be an active trapper, and they should be. All you really need is 3 years experience and a course, that's fair to me.

We got what we wanted as far as being able to sell the lines to anybody we want as long as they meet the qualifications.

Yes they have to be a junior on the line first but that's only a matter of a few days and a little paper work.

As far as our wives needing to be juniors and having taken the course so they can hold the line until sold if something happens to us, that's pretty minor really. I'll take these stipulations to ensure an asset is safe as opposed to a long drawn out court battle between the government and my estate.
The wife really has no interest in trapping or the course but we'll go do it together, I'm sure I'll learn a new trick or two.

Far far better then the last one the Biologists tried to shove down our throats gents.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:07 AM

Maybe I can trick my wife and tell her I am taking her away for a date weekend escape and drive right to the course she has to pass lol. Yikes
If it didn't cost so much I would take the whole family
Old 11-11-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
You know what guys, I'm actually pretty happy with this new interim agreement.

For somebody to buy a line they need to be an active trapper, and they should be. All you really need is 3 years experience and a course, that's fair to me.

We got what we wanted as far as being able to sell the lines to anybody we want as long as they meet the qualifications.

Yes they have to be a junior on the line first but that's only a matter of a few days and a little paper work.

As far as our wives needing to be juniors and having taken the course so they can hold the line until sold if something happens to us, that's pretty minor really. I'll take these stipulations to ensure an asset is safe as opposed to a long drawn out court battle between the government and my estate.
The wife really has no interest in trapping or the course but we'll go do it together, I'm sure I'll learn a new trick or two.

Far far better then the last one the Biologists tried to shove down our throats gents.
I agree, its a few hoops to jump through but nothing to major, who knows nube it might spark some interest for your wife!! Never know
Old 11-11-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Maybe I can trick my wife and tell her I am taking her away for a date weekend escape and drive right to the course she has to pass lol. Yikes
If it didn't cost so much I would take the whole family
Mine won't be too excited about it, but she'd be less excited if she found out the government seized those assets !

Hopefully she has to skin a beaver or something so she can see how time consuming it is. I think she believes I'm just hiding out in the garage when I'm doing them
Old 11-11-2016, 12:20 PM

I think this is going to cost me a trip to someplace warm
Old 11-13-2016, 05:55 AM

So I read this through and maybe some of you folks could give me some clarification. So right now I am a Jr on a traplines,but it is not the best deal for me. I do all the work so the other Jr. will get the line passed down to him. So my question is as long as I keep trapping with my resident license is that gonna be sufficient for the experience they want? I would sooner trap for myself instead of being someone's slave. I want to be able to buy my own line when the opportunity arises I am hoping that I don't have to be a Jr for the next 10 years I would sooner just resident trap.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:09 AM

Cutthroat, if I read between the lines F & W in past always gave credit for years of Resident trapping, especially if he had good fur numbers. Hopefully the new bunch of Green Biologists will continue with the same wisdom when consider approving RFMA.