Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-19-2016, 09:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
http://aemerisfiles.alberta.ca/datas...0WMU%20541.pdf

If you weren't in a high or med block no wonder you didn't see a moose...it's a very low density zone period. 0.07/km2 is awful for a whole zone.

S
I was there shedcrazy were you? I think not.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I was there shedcrazy were you? I think not.
Ummm..do you read well and no I wasn't there as I wouldn't pick a zone with 0.07/km2. I was just providing you the data that shows why you didn't see a moose. If you read my post and looked at my link there are areas of that zone that have no moose. So again if you were in a low density block on the map provided you probably won't see a moose. No matter if you had an argo, float plane or rode in on a unicorn.

But judging by your attitude you just want to whine you were robbed. It is hunting and YOU picked a brutal zone with poor moose density. I didn't.

Sorry I provided any info on the WMU YOU picked.

Later
S
Old 10-19-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman205 View Post
With all due respect Bushleague one of the men I was with killed some of the biggest moose ever taken out of 541 and we are all good moose hunters. I guess you missed the part about the 2 Argos in the best moose habitat on earth with no moose, where the average person can't go.

All I know is what I saw, and I trust my eyes.
Not sure of the relevance of this to the actual post you commented on, but if its towards some of my other posts I still stand by them... I can kill moose in 541, I don't go anywhere you can get to with an argo.

I do agree with you though that hunting moose in those northern zones can be brutal, no question about that.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:50 AM
Banned

I am not complaining about getting skunked, every hunter knows it happens, just wanted to share my insight and recent experience with fellow hunters.

I have never seen an area that I know for a fact was a very productive area several years ago, that is pristine and perfect moose habitat that is virtually void of moose.

In any case, I would advise other hunters to think twice about hunting in 541 and maybe our government should relax on handing out so many tags in that area in order to give the moose a chance to repopulate the area so it can come back to the way it was not that many years ago.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I am not complaining about getting skunked, every hunter knows it happens, just wanted to share my insight and recent experience with fellow hunters.

I have never seen an area that I know for a fact was a very productive area several years ago, that is pristine and perfect moose habitat that is virtually void of moose.

In any case, I would advise other hunters to think twice about hunting in 541 and maybe our government should relax on handing out so many tags in that area in order to give the moose a chance to repopulate the area so it can come back to the way it was not that many years ago.

What your not hearing is that the number of tags is irrelevant to the moose numbers.
Predators and unregulated year round hunting is relevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2016, 09:13 AM
Banned

Said my peace, take it for what it's worth. Happy hunting everyone!
Old 10-20-2016, 09:15 AM
Banned

So go to another zone tag numbers are not going to change anytime soon
Old 10-20-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
What your not hearing is that the number of tags is irrelevant to the moose numbers.

This is what it all comes down to.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post

Add to that development, the places I hunt in 541 have no development, almost no deer, and not too many wolves..

Development in itself does not kill moose, but it opens up access to those who would abuse their privileges and it creates habitat that will typically support deer populations as well as assist the wolves in their movements. Deer can exist in far higher concentrations than the moose ever did, and wolves can more easily kill them on heavy snow years, winters where the moose would have the advantage and thus the wolf population would remain more balanced.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Add to that development, the places I hunt in 541 have no development, almost no deer, and not too many wolves..

Development in itself does not kill moose, but it opens up access to those who would abuse their privileges and it creates habitat that will typically support deer populations as well as assist the wolves in their movements. Deer can exist in far higher concentrations than the moose ever did, and wolves can more easily kill them on heavy snow years, winters where the moose would have the advantage and thus the wolf population would remain more balanced.
Bushleague if you really know 541 and were not just hunting the roads or convenient close fringe areas then you would know that the remote area I was in is a pristine and inaccessible area to most without an Argo.

You Sir or Madame are missing the entire point of my thread! Don't think that you will ever get it, just saying.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Bushleague if you really know 541 and were not just hunting the roads or convenient close fringe areas then you would know that the remote area I was in is a pristine and inaccessible area to most without an Argo.

You Sir or Madame are missing the entire point of my thread! Don't think that you will ever get it, just saying.
I think I get your point's, some I agree with and some I don't. The heads up to other hunters was thoughtful and I fully agree, the idea of cutting tags is not effective without other measures taken and I disagree.

I wasn't telling you that you weren't going deep enough, just adding development to the list of problems listed. I wasn't telling you that you guys didn't try hard enough, just agreeing that hunting these zones can often be a waste of time. I think it is you are failing to get the point of my posts.

I agree with you on everything except for the cutting of tags.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:29 AM

After spending 12 days hunting/living in 542 I can tell you what I experienced.
I saw 4 hunting parties come and go, none of them were new to the area like me, and none of them went home with a moose. I discovered lots of moose tracks, basically every cut block had good sign. I would try each good block I found before daylight and until legal light was gone.. Then the snow fell, and excited to determine which of these prime areas held fresh tracks I toured the 18mile logging trail and each branch off of it checking these cut blocks.. I found a single cow track that morning.

Feeling down but not out I decided to stick with the cow, hoping she would bring a bull her way or lead me to one anyway. I hunted there for two days, didn't even get to lay eyes on the cow. After twelve days I threw in the towel.

If you get far off of the drivable roads and put the time in you will find good sign. When you get on the road looking for new areas.. You might find a fresh gut pile and calf hide on the road from the night before.. (Frustrated)

Oh, and btw I only saw 2 wolf tracks in the entire area. The grouse are doing better than ever, nothing to see 40-70 every morning and evening. So if all else fails bring something quiet for chickens..

Good luck.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:43 AM
Banned

Dismal eh?

After we hunted deep in 541 - 4 different lakes we did some touring nearer the roads and lease sites to see if we could locate some sign there. Nothing, Nada, Zero, Zilch! and that is using two Argos and going in opposite directions. ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC AND VERY SAD!

Here is a great idea for our government decision makers, instead of issuing 170 tags, next year issue 1700 tags, that will fix things!

Last edited by woodsman205; 10-21-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Dismal eh?

After we hunted deep in 541 - 4 different lakes we did some touring nearer the roads and lease sites to see if we could locate some sign there. Nothing, Nada, Zero, Zilch! and that is using two Argos and going in opposite directions. ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC AND VERY SAD!

Here is a great idea for our government decision makers, instead of issuing 170 tags, next year issue 1700 tags, that will fix things!
There would be little difference if they issued 1700 tags or 17 tags, for the very last time [B][I]the tags are a non issue at this point

Last edited by Bushleague; 10-21-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
There would be little difference if they issued 1700 tags or 17 tags, for the very last time [B][I]the tags are a non issue at this point

He doesn't get it. Or refuses to.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:19 PM
Banned

I was being facetious. I know that is not the problem. If this interests you do yourselves a favor call the fish and wildlife officer and let him explain it to you like I did. I do not want to speak for him.

I would not waste my time or money going to 541 again!

Last edited by woodsman205; 10-21-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:33 PM

Default 541/542

Been hunting moose there for 24 years..Ive done well..The moose are around..Took a moose of a lifetime there..I'll be there again next year..
T
Old 10-21-2016, 06:42 PM
Banned

I believe that, the guy I was with killed many giants there as well, them days are over.

I hope you do very well, good luck!
Old 10-21-2016, 07:11 PM

Default Giants

Believe it or not there are still a few around...Its a mighty big area.Ive seen bull tracks that belong to few monsters.Actually saw a huge bull last year..As far as I know he's still out there..Some big bulls out there you just have to put in the time and be in the right place at the right time..Maybe some day i'll run into you..
Thanks
T
Old 10-21-2016, 07:19 PM
Banned

We were so deep in it, that if the Agro broke down I am sure someone would find a skeleton of me, sometime in the future! lol
Old 10-22-2016, 08:37 AM
Banned

Thank you everyone for your Private Messages! Good luck guys, looking, forward to seeing some pictures and hearing success stories!
Old 10-23-2016, 09:37 PM

I have a moose tag in 541. And am going mid November. Kind of a vacation hunting trip.
Like an adventure.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:44 PM
Banned

Best of luck Arff, would like to hear your story!
Old 10-23-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Best of luck Arff, would like to hear your story!

Thanks.

I will post how the trip was. Like I posted more of an adventure holiday hunting trip.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arff View Post
I have a moose tag in 541. And am going mid November. Kind of a vacation hunting trip.
Like an adventure.

What part of 541 are you gonna hunt?
Old 10-24-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
http://aemerisfiles.alberta.ca/datas...0WMU%20541.pdf

If you weren't in a high or med block no wonder you didn't see a moose...it's a very low density zone period. 0.07/km2 is awful for a whole zone.

S
We complain about FN over harvest ( which is an issue ) but then we apply for tags or buy undersubscribed tags in zones with .07/ km2 and would absolutely harvest a legal moose in those zones if we were fortunate enough to come across one. This is a resource management disgrace involving recreational and subsistence hunters.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mountain mike View Post
We complain about FN over harvest ( which is an issue ) but then we apply for tags or buy undersubscribed tags in zones with .07/ km2 and would absolutely harvest a legal moose in those zones if we were fortunate enough to come across one. This is a resource management disgrace involving recreational and subsistence hunters.
I could not agree more with that statement more sir!

Personally I had no idea that the count was so low before I went and only learned of that fact after shedcrazy was kind enough to post the link that he did here. I was invited by a friend who over the years has had tremendous success in the exact same area we were hunting in.

When we were leaving I was thinking to myself that if I saw a moose would I want to shoot it? The remote area of 541 that we were hunting in is in very bad shape when it comes to the moose population, where it was once not to long ago a great place to hunt. If I were a moose doctor I would diagnose it as critical condition and rush it to the intensive care unit!

Last edited by woodsman205; 10-24-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Moose maniac has outlined the real problem in our northern moose zones. To many wolves, to many bears and too many other hunters that can hunt 365 days a year. Welcome to the new Alberta and enjoy your tag soup.
I read your post again this evening Big Grey Wolf, I must concur, is too late to turn this around?

Ducks Unlimited did a great job in saving the ducks after the 1920's-30's meat market. Maybe it's our turn to step up and help the moose?
Old 10-25-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
What part of 541 are you gonna hunt?

I am not sure

Old 10-25-2016, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arff View Post
I am not sure

Best of luck Arff, hope you do great! Please let us know how you do?