Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-22-2016, 08:08 PM

Default line slipping from thumb when casting???

so i have a rig for sturgeon.....big weight....on a slider....but when i cast the line slips through my thumb when i try to cast...is there away around this? any ldeas?

tnx

happy
Old 05-22-2016, 09:44 PM

I am not sure what you mean but when I cast I always have my line in my opposite hand especially when using the 7" swim baits which are quite heavy.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
I am not sure what you mean but when I cast I always have my line in my opposite hand especially when using the 7" swim baits which are quite heavy.
Have to say you both have me confused. Only time I can think of holding line in opposite hand from casting hand/arm is in fly fishing. Must not be reading you right.
A lot of people put both hands on the rod when casting a heavy rig. Bottom hand gripping handle tightly and top hand helping grip/support rod with thumb pressing on line tightly till releasing pressure at just the right moment. One thing I can think of is OP is letting thumb off while still in backswing, or too early in the cast. Practise will help that.
Would also help to know if OP is using a baitcaster, or spinning reel. Might help if OP watches some u-tube videos on casting. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Have to say you both have me confused. Only time I can think of holding line in opposite hand from casting hand/arm is in fly fishing. Must not be reading you right.

Nope you didn't read anything wrong. I actually put the line in my opposite hand ... always have

Last edited by millsboy79; 05-23-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Nope you didn't read anything wrong. I actually put the line in my opposite hand ... always have
Hmmmmm never heard of or seen that done. Doesn't seem that you would get a smooth cast when the slackline in your hand snaps tight at the reel. Having trouble picturing it, but what the heck, if it works it works.
I'm picturing a vehicle intent on towing another, speeding away while a coil of slack rope uncoils till it snaps taut. lol
Old 05-23-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Hmmmmm never heard of or seen that done. Doesn't seem that you would get a smooth cast when the slackline in your hand snaps tight at the reel. Having trouble picturing it, but what the heck, if it works it works.
I'm picturing a vehicle intent on towing another, speeding away while a coil of slack rope uncoils till it snaps taut. lol

I would think more of a single haul fly cast and while the line gets tight during the rod loading I can pull the line and add a little extra flex in the rod which then transfers to the cast and extends my casts further. Least that is how I picture it.

Or maybe that just how I justify casting different than everyone I know hahaha.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
I would think more of a single haul fly cast and while the line gets tight during the rod loading I can pull the line and add a little extra flex in the rod which then transfers to the cast and extends my casts further. Least that is how I picture it.

Or maybe that just how I justify casting different than everyone I know hahaha.
WOW! When you put it that way, all I can say is I hope there are no low flying aircraft overhead when you let fly.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:23 PM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pg23c9CmqOM

ok this guy in the video aint me.....LOL.....but when i open up yhe bail....and put my fingers on the line and the rod...i pull the rod back....because of the big weight i have on (going for sturgeon) as soon as i whip the rod forward the line slips theough my fingers and the rod (fingers meet the cork/foam).....

kinda know what im.saying? if the weight wasnt so big it wouldnt be a problem......
Old 05-23-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
so i have a rig for sturgeon.....big weight....on a slider....but when i cast the line slips through my thumb when i try to cast...is there away around this? any ldeas?

tnx

happy
I watched that video , are you holding the rod upside down and holding the line with your thumb??
That is the only way o could figure it out!
Cat
Old 05-23-2016, 05:45 PM

yes.....lol.....over my shoulder.....trying to cast as far as i can........