Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-21-2016, 11:32 PM

Default Dew worms

Picked about 50 worms tonight in about 1/2 hr. Lots of them out there tonight. Gonna pick more tomorrow night. anyone else finding worms?

Last edited by buckmaster; 05-21-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:09 AM

Default Dew worms

Played a round of golf yesterday, and the sand traps were covered with them. Just small ones though, maybe 3-4" long. Did you get some good sized ones?
Old 05-22-2016, 09:24 AM

i haven't seen any yet in my area, ended up buying two packs lol
Old 05-22-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
Picked about 50 worms tonight in about 1/2 hr. Lots of them out there tonight. Gonna pick more tomorrow night. anyone else finding worms?
When I need worms the easiest for me is to electrocute the little suckers,they pop out of the grounds In front of you.Take two pcs of threaded rod and splice a old extension cord and wrap the wire (pos) to one of the rods and the (neg) to the other one, push both rods in the ground about 4' apart plug in wall and In about 5 min you will have worms popping up in front of you.This works really good when the day before you need worms to wet t dirt. Cheers
Old 05-22-2016, 10:02 AM
Banned

My thanks to the OP for this timely thread. With everything thats been going on, harvesting Dew Worms had completly slipped my mind. Going to give it a shot tonight.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:31 PM

Grabbed some after work last night. Most of them managed to escape me though. Fast little buggers.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:12 PM

Default Dew worms

Went out to the local golf coarse last night after the rain, and picked up a bunch of them, only thing is, they are small. What we used to call earthworms. Nothing like the dew worms you can buy at the tackle shops. Does this mean I am in an area with only babies? Any tips on where to find the bigger ones? Killam area.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:34 PM

The dew worms we have here live in one burrow and come to the surface at night, (look for bumpy lawns / areas) they usually poke out but not completely to feed on leaves and veg also mate. I usually find a bunch right beside each other. Its tough to catch them before they bolt back down the hole I caught a tone tonight and there huge! My lawn is a mini land mine, a bumpy ride with the lawnmower but the grass hides it pretty good.
This is how I catch mine, rain or not there up EVERY night in the spring & summer.
http://youtu.be/Ss6NfVetd0c

Last edited by fluxcore; 05-22-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:08 AM

Just got in from another night picking worms. Me and my son got about 100 worms and they are all nice and big.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:17 AM

How long do they last if you put in bucket of dirt? I've always meant to do that but seem to forget every time it rains.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty1 View Post
When I need worms the easiest for me is to electrocute the little suckers,they pop out of the grounds In front of you.Take two pcs of threaded rod and splice a old extension cord and wrap the wire (pos) to one of the rods and the (neg) to the other one, push both rods in the ground about 4' apart plug in wall and In about 5 min you will have worms popping up in front of you.This works really good when the day before you need worms to wet t dirt. Cheers
Don't forget to unplug the cord before moving them to another area(don't ask how I know⚡️)
Old 05-23-2016, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamilton View Post
How long do they last if you put in bucket of dirt? I've always meant to do that but seem to forget every time it rains.
If stored properly, dirt changed and feed added about once a month (I sprinkle some cornmeal on top of dirt) You can keep them alive, fresh and healthy for at least a year.
Old beer fridge kept at 5 degrees. Shallow plastic containers with tiny air holes in lid.
Tip.... Never use shredded newspaper in your dirt. When it get moist it goes mouldy.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:07 AM

Grabbed two containers last Sept, forgot about them in our second fridge. Found them in early April, still alive and kicking.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon Slayer Lenny View Post
Grabbed two containers last Sept, forgot about them in our second fridge. Found them in early April, still alive and kicking.

How did you store them; in dry dirt, peat moss, saw dust, plastic margarine container or a glass jar? Was the lid sealed?

I have not had much success with saving these worms and I want to know how to properly preserve them?
Thanks

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:29 AM

Default Dew worms

You can buy commercial worm bedding and worm food at the Fishin Hole I believe. Just feed them once in a while and keep them cool. They last a long time.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
You can buy commercial worm bedding and worm food at the Fishin Hole I believe. Just feed them once in a while and keep them cool. They last a long time.
I just spoke with Doug at the Fishin Hole and here is what he said.
They carry the worm beds but they are fairly large but no size indicated.
As for food he said dried powdered milk or coffee grounds. He did not say how much to use or how often?

I will research this further and get back to the AO with something a little more concrete or if someone already has the answers then please chime in...
Cheers,

Old 05-23-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I just spoke with Doug at the Fishin Hole and here is what he said.
They carry the worm beds but they are fairly large but no size indicated.
As for food he said dried powdered milk or coffee grounds. He did not say how much to use or how often?

I looked into it a little further, with something a little more concrete.

I figure on a smaller scale instead of a big box a person can use a small wooden shoe box size, refresh bedding, lightly feed with coffee grounds store in a cool area and ventilate......

Or just pay the $2.95 when needed......Hahahaha what a guy does on a dull overcast day....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdtqiQp_Mi8

http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Your-Own-Fishing-Worms

Old 05-23-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
How did you store them; in dry dirt, peat moss, saw dust, plastic margarine container or a glass jar? Was the lid sealed?

I have not had much success with saving these worms and I want to know how to properly preserve them?
Thanks
I did nothing, just the standard container they came in. No holes, nothing changed, nothing added. I forgot about them!
Old 05-23-2016, 01:18 PM

I cut news paper into strips then wet a bit and place the worms in, this keeps the dirt out of my boat when I'm digging through the tub. My worms are kept in the fridge and last a month or two, I always use them up before any have gone bad.

There stupid fat and long when they relax this year! I usually fish minnows & worms together on the same hook.

Last edited by fluxcore; 05-23-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:02 PM

Default Dew worms

Quote:
Played a round of golf yesterday, and the sand traps were covered with them. Just small ones though, maybe 3-4" long. Did you get some good sized ones?
I guess I'll have to look elsewhere, the ones I am finding are puny. One little trick I do is put a few right in a container with ice in it. They absorb the ice water, and plump up great just before you use them.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
The dew worms we have here live in one burrow and come to the surface at night, (look for bumpy lawns / areas) they usually poke out but not completely to feed on leaves and veg also mate. I usually find a bunch right beside each other. Its tough to catch them before they bolt back down the hole I caught a tone tonight and there huge! My lawn is a mini land mine, a bumpy ride with the lawnmower but the grass hides it pretty good.
This is how I catch mine, rain or not there up EVERY night in the spring & summer.
http://youtu.be/Ss6NfVetd0c
My mother's backyard is like this. None of her neighbors or her front yard has them. But the backyard feels like you are walking on a different planet with all the bumps hiding in the thick grass. Every night, no matter the weather, they are out in the hundreds/maybe thousands, Massive nightcrawlers, way better then any storebought. I tell her she is sitting on a goldmine haha and she tells me to have at em...they disgust her hehe. I keep telling her when she's ready to move I'm buying her house and my retirement project (one of them) will be to start worm gardens and sell them for cheap. Lotsa bait fisherman round here lol.

This video you've shared is exactly how I catch them also. Nice tip with the sawdust. Gonna have to use that for sure.
With all the rain around here lately, might have to put the flyrod away for a few days, go get me some worms, and do some Dino hunting.. Tis the season after all! Miss that tuuuuuuug......

Good thread, thanx for sharing!