Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-17-2016, 09:39 PM

Default Birds nests / twists in line

The misses and I were out fishing for some pike today. We both had issue with our line getting tangled coming off the spool.

I am running a 14lb nanofil ... she is running the superslik so the quality of line shouldn't be an issue but I noticed that my mine had such a twist in it ... you would swear it was braid. We are using standard stainless leaders with a swivel so I would think that would solve an issue like that.

Guess my question is ... how can I fix it or at least stop it from getting worse?

Thanks
Old 05-17-2016, 09:42 PM

Spinning reels or bait casters ?
If they are spinning rigs maybe you have too much line spooled up?
Cat
Old 05-17-2016, 09:43 PM

Just run it out behind the boat with nothing on it and troll around a bit. That will take the twists out. When you spool line on a reel it should be coiled the same direction as on the spool.

Edit- good point Cat, I have run warm water over the spool to help change the memory.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:44 PM

Did you put the line on? Did you check the direction of the line twist when / if you did.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
Just run it out behind the boat with nothing on it and troll around a bit. That will take the twists out. When you spool line on a reel it should be coiled the same direction as on the spool.
Sorry didn't see your post.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyduck View Post
Sorry didn't see your post.
No problem!
Old 05-17-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Spinning reels or bait casters ?
If they are spinning rigs maybe you have too much line spooled up?
Cat
They are spinning rigs ... I will take a picture tomorrow and see if anyone thinks it is too much ... obviously I don't think it's too much since it was me who put it on ... LoL
Old 05-17-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:

Edit- good point Cat, I have run warm water over the spool to help change the memory.
Don't have a boat ... hence all the casting.

Not sure I follow what you mean about the twists when you are spooling the line on ... the nanofil has no twists to start with its not a braid ... and wouldn't the line come on the spool correctly?

Never really thought about that before I have in the past removed line and put it on backwards to use the "other end" to get more use out of the line ... but to compare it to a tire you are saying it's a radial and can only be used one way?
Old 05-17-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
Don't have a boat ... hence all the casting.

Not sure I follow what you mean about the twists when you are spooling the line on ... the nanofil has no twists to start with its not a braid ... and wouldn't the line come on the spool correctly?

Never really thought about that before I have in the past removed line and put it on backwards to use the "other end" to get more use out of the line ... but to compare it to a tire you are saying it's a radial and can only be used one way?
I'm not familiar with those lines you're using. When you spool a spinning reel spool some on and see if it's twisty, if it is flip the spool of line over and see if it improves. The coils should lay the same. Most manufacturers have it so the label is up but not guaranteed.

The reel should be quite full but not over full, a small amount of lip showing on the spool is good. The fuller the spool the farther it will cast.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I'm not familiar with those lines you're using. When you spool a spinning reel spool some on and see if it's twisty, if it is flip the spool of line over and see if it improves. The coils should lay the same. Most manufacturers have it so the label is up but not guaranteed.
I did miss understand ... thought you meant front and back ... not up and down ... that does make way more sense.

The lines are power pro super slik and berkley nanofil ... nanofil is awesome but only goes to 17lbs ... was going to switch the line to that but now I have something else to try first ... wish I knew what it should look like ... once again I will post a pic in the morning and see what everyone thinks.

Thanks again.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:38 PM

Try using a bead chain swivel especially if you are casting spoons.

Mack
Old 05-17-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Try using a bead chain swivel especially if you are casting spoons.

Mack
Yet another thing I have apparently never heard of ... what are the advantages of this style swivel?
Old 05-17-2016, 10:50 PM

So I figured I could snap a quick picture and see what people thought ... and after looking at the picture I can definitely see it is not laying clean on the spool so tomorrow I will try and take it off and spool it on the other way ... but was I correct in thinking it was not over filled. I actually took some off already with the first birds nest she got this season.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:56 PM

It looks okay, for the amount , but it almost looks like it was put on without any tension on the line .
Cat
Old 05-17-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
It looks okay, for the amount , but it almost looks like it was put on without any tension on the line .
Cat
There WAS tension on the line when I did it originally but I tried to teach her how to use a popper today which would probably explain why it was reeled in without as much tension today.

Thanks for the input on the amount of line I didn't think that was the issue but if you can zoom in you can see on the line going to the bail how twisted it is. I don't know which way is "correct" to say if the twists were going the right way or not. Can't hurt to respool it and see what happens though.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:12 PM

I've also let some line out in a river with decent current to pull the twists out, similar to trolling it in a boat.

If your line was not twisted immediately after spooling the reel, the direction of spooling was not the cause.

It can be so frustrating fishing with twisted line.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:24 PM

One thing I notice newer people to fishing(or people that don't know) is that when you have a fish that pulling drag, don't keep spinning the crank. You'll just twist the line. Pull up and reel down. My gf was just spinning the crank the whole time and the drag was screaming and I asked her to just flip the bail open and a couple loops came off the reel and knotted up cause it was twisted so bad.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
One thing I notice newer people to fishing(or people that don't know) is that when you have a fish that pulling drag, don't keep spinning the crank. You'll just twist the line. Pull up and reel down. My gf was just spinning the crank the whole time and the drag was screaming and I asked her to just flip the bail open and a couple loops came off the reel and knotted up cause it was twisted so bad.
I did tell her that ... but I told her because that's exactly what she was doing. Granted it was her first pike ever and her biggest fish ever so she was a little excited lol.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:23 AM

To fix the problem, always use a swivel even if your leader has a swivel put an extra one on the line. Allways use the ball bearing type also. The cheap barrel swivels do a little but not the same as the good quality ball bearing type. I usually have two on my line unless I'm just jigging, then it's just one.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:51 AM

Oh, one more thing- your line poundage is right for your reels?
I know that some line is heavier or smaller diameter than others, and it has an effect on stuff like casting distance and the way it goes on a reel sometimes.
But yeah good swivels are a must for sure!
Just a thought.....
Cat
Old 05-18-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Yet another thing I have apparently never heard of ... what are the advantages of this style swivel?
Beadchain swivels are designed to be used with plugs or spoons to keep line from twisting . There are a few different makers, never cheap out on terminal tackle.

Mack
Old 05-18-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Beadchain swivels are designed to be used with plugs or spoons to keep line from twisting . There are a few different makers, never cheap out on terminal tackle.

Mack
Funny thing is, I actually picked up a couple lucky bug lures today that are basically a chain swivel that goes through the lure ... but I still haven't seen the stand alone swivels.

I use mustad terminal tackle most of the time they have a snap I like more than most I have used.

I actually took the power pro off the misses rod and added some nanofil instead ... I think it will work out better in the long run anyways.

Fingers crossed it helps with the issue but perhaps some other swivels are on the list for my next trek to the fishing section lol.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:48 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Too much on the spool and too loose also.

Reduce the amount on and don't allow it to become that loose or you will cast a bird nest then start freaking out doing a shore dance...we all have been there!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-18-2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Oh, one more thing- your line poundage is right for your reels?
I know that some line is heavier or smaller diameter than others, and it has an effect on stuff like casting distance and the way it goes on a reel sometimes.
But yeah good swivels are a must for sure!
Just a thought.....
Cat
I know this is going to sound naive but but I would expect most modern reels to be able to handle any standard sized "superline" 6-20lb???

I always make sure to use backing if needed and will do it multiple times if I don't think it's quite right.

Either way I spent the better part of the evening switching lines around and changing reels but i will have to wait to see the difference it makes.

Only thing I am curious about will be if I lose much distance on my cast because I went to a shorter rod but it seems to be less flimsy at the tip.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Too much on the spool and too loose also.

Reduce the amount on and don't allow it to become that loose or you will cast a bird nest then start freaking out doing a shore dance...we all have been there!
I think it only looks like too much line because it's SO loose ... but saying "don't allow it to become that loose" to someone who hasn't fished since she was a kid probably isn't going to be helpful.

We talked about it and I explained why it looked like that ... today I changed the line so we will see if it makes a difference.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:30 AM

I have been struggling with my light reel which has 10 lb powerpro. It seems to knot up a couple times each day which is very frustrating. I believe it is due to line twist as I usually use small spoons and spinners but no matter what I try for swivel it still happens.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:12 AM

These are the swivels I like to use.

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...oduct&se=21114

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Funny thing is, I actually picked up a couple lucky bug lures today that are basically a chain swivel that goes through the lure ... but I still haven't seen the stand alone swivels.

I use mustad terminal tackle most of the time they have a snap I like more than most I have used.

I actually took the power pro off the misses rod and added some nanofil instead ... I think it will work out better in the long run anyways.

Fingers crossed it helps with the issue but perhaps some other swivels are on the list for my next trek to the fishing section lol.
Mustad have beadchain swivels both styles an in line that can be used to join main line to leader and snaps swivel design.

Mack
Old 05-19-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
These are the swivels I like to use.

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...oduct&se=21114
This is the swivel that is attached to my knot kinky leaders ...
Old 05-19-2016, 08:58 AM

Totally agree with you Kim, the best quality ball bearing swivels prevent many line twist situations- and line loaded onto the spool properly having some tension on the line.