Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-05-2014, 06:26 PM

Awesome...thanks
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Banned

So that is how you make donairs.

Even 5 watt bulb greylynx could make one of those.

Thank you gentlemen.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:53 PM

I tried it tonight with moose meat. I had to make a substitution due to a food allergy but still turned out great. The fatty beef is a very important part to get it right I think.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:01 PM

Default Thumbs up

Tryed it tonight with elk and some pork I can't believe that mushy paste would cut so good and it is better than any store bought stuff. Thanks for the recipe. first I have tryed from the ao and I will be using it again. The family couldn't get enughf.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:01 PM

Yes, thanks Albtuff, most people would keep a recipe this good a secret. It was so good we not only had donairs for lunch but supper as well! I'm pretty sure I'll have another for lunch tomorrow!

I used to hunt so I could make venison jerky. Now I hunt to make venison donair!
Old 01-05-2014, 09:28 PM

Tried it tonight with elk and beef turned out great!
Old 01-06-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
Yes, thanks Albtuff, most people would keep a recipe this good a secret. It was so good we not only had donairs for lunch but supper as well! I'm pretty sure I'll have another for lunch tomorrow!

I used to hunt so I could make venison jerky. Now I hunt to make venison donair!
I was debating sharing this recipe because it is so damn good but thought sharing with some other outdoorsmen/ women wouldn't hurt. Now all of us can enjoy this great tasting meal!

Come summer time I'm going to try this on the BBQ with the loaf wrapped around the spit can,t wait
Old 01-06-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBTUFF View Post
I was debating sharing this recipe because it is so damn good but thought sharing with some other outdoorsmen/ women wouldn't hurt. Now all of us can enjoy this great tasting meal!

Come summer time I'm going to try this on the BBQ with the loaf wrapped around the spit can,t wait
glad you did, just finished and had to have three. My 2 year old who usually doesn't like meat had seconds
Old 01-06-2014, 08:54 PM

Thank you fir the recipe!! My family devoured it tonight. Even my 18 month old kept saying "mmmmm". Having it again tomorrow.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:06 PM

Just made some. Wife and I are eating right now. Man these are friggin fantastic!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe
Old 01-07-2014, 09:18 PM

Tried recipe also was awesome thanks for sharing !!
Old 01-08-2014, 10:23 AM

Based on the reviews, I'll be cooking up one of these tomorrow! I also came accross this recipe for "Hali-Dip" this morning:

It’s not the first time I have blogged about Donairs. If you are from Halifax, and you like beer, you probably love ‘em.
I feel like this post should be an informercial. You know how they go… during the set up, they show the clumsiest, most uncoordinated goof trying to do a simple task without success. In this case, there would be a girl in her ‘Downtown Finest’ sitting at a booth at KOD with donair sauce running down her elbows and no-doubt in her hair. She’d look to the camera and exclaim helplessly, “There’s gotta be a better way!”
Now there is… HaliDip! (in my best Billy Mays inspired voiceover)

HaliDip was inspired by a hunger-laden discussion with hubs on the way home from work last Thursday, when he told me of his God-awful (sorry hun) Donair Soup idea. Here is where I reference TV again… if you watched House, you know that moment when someone was talking to House about a totally unrelated matter and House’s eyes would glaze over and he would all of the sudden run out of the room with the diagnosis? That was me, except it was a related matter, I was buckled in and couldn’t run and the diagnosis was actually a recipe.
Well today I made the dream into reality and I think I have put together the next big Halifax potluck and house party sensation… I used my inlaws as willing guinea pigs and everyone loved it!
Hot Donair Dip (aka HaliDip)
1 lb lean ground beef
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp each salt and black pepper
1 8oz container regular cream cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1 cup donair sauce (from your favourite pizzeria, or better yet, your own)
1 tomato, seeded and diced
Pita chips or tortilla scoops for dipping.
In a bowl (truth be told, I did this in a non-stick frying pan before putting it on the heat), mix together the ground beef and spices and blend well, really, really, really knead it together well. Then fry up the meat mixture, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon as it cooks, you don’t want any chunks of meat too big… it has to remain scoopable. While the meat is browning, make your donair sauce and then in your cooking dish (a 9″ glass pie plate or small casserole dish) mix together the cream cheese, donair sauce and shredded mozzarella. Once the meat is cooked and well-browned, use a slotted spoon to transfer the meat (but not the grease) to the cooking dish and fold it in to the cream cheese mixture. If you won’t be eating it until later, you can cover and put in the fridge at this point. When it’s go-time, just pop the dip into a preheated 350 degree oven and cook it for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the diced tomatoes (and some minced onions if you like) over the top of the hot dip and serve!
Sadly, I couldn’t get my hands on any pita today to make pita chips, so I served the HaliDip with tortilla scoops. Since the dip is heavy, it’s best spooned on.
We all had the best of donair, but no one needed a shower afterward! I’ve done it! The wild Donair has been domesticated!
For only 3 easy payments of $19.95…
LOL Enjoy!
Edited Jan 7/14: I’m so excited that this post has finally taken off! I also wanted to let you know that I’ve also spread the unbaked dip on thick sliced french bread and broiled them in the oven – DELISH!
Old 01-08-2014, 10:02 PM

Good post. To the op. I have no game meat. Would this be good with straight beef or subsitute pork in place of the game meat?

Thanks

Dave
Old 01-09-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcooper View Post
Good post. To the op. I have no game meat. Would this be good with straight beef or subsitute pork in place of the game meat?

Thanks

Dave
Yep it sure will. It will be a lot more greasy tho. I like to make it with half deer and half beef to keep the grease down. If I were to make it with just beef I would use lean ground beef instead of regular ground beef. Give 'er a try and enjoy!
Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
Based on the reviews, I'll be cooking up one of these tomorrow! I also came accross this recipe for "Hali-Dip" this morning:

It’s not the first time I have blogged about Donairs. If you are from Halifax, and you like beer, you probably love ‘em.
I feel like this post should be an informercial. You know how they go… during the set up, they show the clumsiest, most uncoordinated goof trying to do a simple task without success. In this case, there would be a girl in her ‘Downtown Finest’ sitting at a booth at KOD with donair sauce running down her elbows and no-doubt in her hair. She’d look to the camera and exclaim helplessly, “There’s gotta be a better way!”
Now there is… HaliDip! (in my best Billy Mays inspired voiceover)

HaliDip was inspired by a hunger-laden discussion with hubs on the way home from work last Thursday, when he told me of his God-awful (sorry hun) Donair Soup idea. Here is where I reference TV again… if you watched House, you know that moment when someone was talking to House about a totally unrelated matter and House’s eyes would glaze over and he would all of the sudden run out of the room with the diagnosis? That was me, except it was a related matter, I was buckled in and couldn’t run and the diagnosis was actually a recipe.
Well today I made the dream into reality and I think I have put together the next big Halifax potluck and house party sensation… I used my inlaws as willing guinea pigs and everyone loved it!
Hot Donair Dip (aka HaliDip)
1 lb lean ground beef
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp each salt and black pepper
1 8oz container regular cream cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1 cup donair sauce (from your favourite pizzeria, or better yet, your own)
1 tomato, seeded and diced
Pita chips or tortilla scoops for dipping.
In a bowl (truth be told, I did this in a non-stick frying pan before putting it on the heat), mix together the ground beef and spices and blend well, really, really, really knead it together well. Then fry up the meat mixture, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon as it cooks, you don’t want any chunks of meat too big… it has to remain scoopable. While the meat is browning, make your donair sauce and then in your cooking dish (a 9″ glass pie plate or small casserole dish) mix together the cream cheese, donair sauce and shredded mozzarella. Once the meat is cooked and well-browned, use a slotted spoon to transfer the meat (but not the grease) to the cooking dish and fold it in to the cream cheese mixture. If you won’t be eating it until later, you can cover and put in the fridge at this point. When it’s go-time, just pop the dip into a preheated 350 degree oven and cook it for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the diced tomatoes (and some minced onions if you like) over the top of the hot dip and serve!
Sadly, I couldn’t get my hands on any pita today to make pita chips, so I served the HaliDip with tortilla scoops. Since the dip is heavy, it’s best spooned on.
We all had the best of donair, but no one needed a shower afterward! I’ve done it! The wild Donair has been domesticated!
For only 3 easy payments of $19.95…
LOL Enjoy!
Edited Jan 7/14: I’m so excited that this post has finally taken off! I also wanted to let you know that I’ve also spread the unbaked dip on thick sliced french bread and broiled them in the oven – DELISH!
I'm going to give this a try this weekend sounds good. But I do have to say I judge a donair by the need for a shower. IMO if you need a shower after a donair it was a good donair, if you don't need a shower well then I guess it wasn't a good donair lol. Thanx
Old 01-09-2014, 09:49 AM

That looks unreal... Trying this weekend, thanks!
Old 01-09-2014, 10:08 AM

Sounds pretty good going to have to give it a try!

So where and when is the first AO Venison donair shop being opened?
Old 01-09-2014, 11:48 AM

ALBTUFF,

You Rock! thanks for sharing
Old 01-09-2014, 12:36 PM

Looks great, can't waiting to try it, thanks for sharing
Old 01-09-2014, 02:53 PM

Looks like a lot of effort.
Can I get delivery?

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-09-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
Looks like a lot of effort.
Can I get delivery?
It is a bit of effort, But it sure tastes good. Had them last night.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:31 PM

Made my 2nd batch tonight and then tomorrow I will slice and vac-pac into125G portions. Then it will be easy to have a donair on a whim

Tip for unmoulding the loaf pan from my chef days!

Never vertically pump the pan to release the meatloaf. Always give it a quick snap on the horizontal plane. This will drive the meat mass to one side and allow air to enter driving it out.

I place the pan on the rack and snap both the pan and rack quickly at the same time
Same technique that I used to release crème caramels onto plates in the hotel
Old 01-09-2014, 09:00 PM

Default Thanks

ALBTUFF,

Tried the donair and sauce. Love it, thanks for sharing
Old 01-10-2014, 08:12 AM

One of the best recipes I've got off AO, awesome!
Old 01-10-2014, 01:56 PM

Just finished sampling a moose Bullnair - OMG, that recipe nailed it! I closed my eyes and thought I was in Halifax at 2:00 AM just after leaving the Liquor Dome!
I feel sorry for Donair Zone in Hinton and Edson, they just lost a customer.
Now I'm looking for a pita recipe, as I just can't get fresh peta bread here.
I'm always looking for new ideas for meals to take to work, and these donairs will be a common meal now. It will also find a place as one of our dinners on our annual moose hunt - the boys are going to love this one!
Thank you, ALBTUFF!
Old 01-10-2014, 05:01 PM

Default Pure elk

Thanks so much ALBTUFF!

I made a slight modification. I used only ground elk and added 2Tbsp of vegetable oil to add some fat. It came out dry like a donair usually is, but not too dry. The olive oil on the pita added plenty of fat flavour too. Also used 1tsp of salt in stead of 2tsp, just cause we don't eat a lot of salty things usually. Still good flavour.

This is a winner and will be made again and again.

Last edited by Bard; 01-10-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
Just finished sampling a moose Bullnair - OMG, that recipe nailed it! I closed my eyes and thought I was in Halifax at 2:00 AM just after leaving the Liquor Dome!
I feel sorry for Donair Zone in Hinton and Edson, they just lost a customer.
Now I'm looking for a pita recipe, as I just can't get fresh peta bread here.
I'm always looking for new ideas for meals to take to work, and these donairs will be a common meal now. It will also find a place as one of our dinners on our annual moose hunt - the boys are going to love this one!
Thank you, ALBTUFF!

Moose Bullnair! lol I love it I'm trying your recipe right now, Big Bull. Hopefully have a nice buzz going on by the time its ready!
Old 01-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Banned

3 loaves going in the oven right now. Because I thawed 7.5 lbs of trim and mixed it with 5.5 lbs of ground beef, my total yield is 13 lbs. Started grinding yesterday evening. Got up at 6:30 this morning to mix my spices. Followed recipe to the letter. 3 more loaves will go in following batch #1. Gonna set timer to make sure I flip every 1/2 hour. This should be awesome.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:39 PM
Banned

Final yield from 13lbs is 7 loaves. Just flipped 2nd time. Looking good, smelling good.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Final yield from 13lbs is 7 loaves. Just flipped 2nd time. Looking good, smelling good.
So what do you think? Or is your mouth still full from pounding back the last of 7 of those bad boys!

LC