Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2017, 07:06 PM
Banned

Thumbs down BC Green MLA Backs Grizzly Trophy Hunt Ban

Interestingly enough, he is a member of the Tsartlip First Nation.
You know, the ones that our coddling SCC decided to set precedence with and allow night hunting (jacklighting) for FN's in Canada...

http://www.theprovince.com/news/loca...771/story.html

Shakin' the noggin yet again...
Nog - Packing a Fall Grizz Tag
Old 07-23-2017, 07:28 PM

Default It won't be long.

I think with what's going on in BC right now grizzly hunting will soon only be a memory.
Alberta opened that gateway.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:07 PM

I'd say all non-native hunting on public land is in the crosshairs.

If you want to do something in BC, better book it soon.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:16 PM

Default Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
I'd say all non-native hunting on public land is in the crosshairs.

If you want to do something in BC, better book it soon.
Agree 100%.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:09 PM
Banned

4th post today hating on first nations. Seems like a record ironnoggin.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguy21 View Post
A statement of facts is far from "hating". Find your safe place.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 07-24-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Im sorry but jack lighting isnt allowed in alberta. Ironnoggin isnt discussing facts... hes spreading his non sense/hate.
Before you get banned (again), why don't you explain what part of his post you believe is hate? I see nothing but fact as recorded by public record. Where did he say about Alberta? He said Canada, and jack lighting with spot lights is a far cry from any traditional practice; our Supreme Court made an epic mistake with that one.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:24 AM

In the future the only saving grace we will have is if the people who get mauled start suing the government. We can call it poor management practices. If they can pay 10 million to one guy for whatever then they can start paying people when they get mauled. Lump sum payment to family for those that pass on because of the mauling.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Im sorry but jack lighting isnt allowed in alberta. Ironnoggin isnt discussing facts... hes spreading his non sense/hate.
Lets see,

Post is about,

BC. Check.
Tsartlip First Nation. Check.
Night hunting. Check.

"Two aboriginal men from British Columbia have the right to hunt deer at night with lights, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled Thursday.

In a 4-3 decision, the courtsided withIvan Morris and Carl Olsen, members of the Tsartlip First Nation of Vancouver Island."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/b-c-fi...court-1.618478
Old 07-24-2017, 11:57 AM

Default Whoa Whoa Whoa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Lets see,

Post is about,

BC. Check.
Tsartlip First Nation. Check.
Night hunting. Check.

"Two aboriginal men from British Columbia have the right to hunt deer at night with lights, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled Thursday.

In a 4-3 decision, the courtsided withIvan Morris and Carl Olsen, members of the Tsartlip First Nation of Vancouver Island."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/b-c-fi...court-1.618478
Don't let facts get in the way of feelings and knee jerk reactions.
You'll get classified as someone your not.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:59 PM
Banned

Question

Quote:
First: Learn to count. I only initiated three threads today.

One was regarding Poaching, yes by FN's - "Hating" directed at POACHERS regardless of race.

Second was this one - Noting an MLA spouting off about shutting down BC's grizzly hunt. Further noting the hypocrisy in that as his own band is the one that went to court to fight for unsafe hunting practices (our own SCC deserves more critique than the band in this case). No "Hating" of anyone except foolish ideas.

Third was about Watson, and it's kind of obvious I side with the Inuit on that one...

So... Just where the hell are you coming from?

FYI: I have lived the vast majority of my life with FN and Inuit people. Have no issues with them as a people. Do have issues with poachers etc.

You?

Wondering...
Nog
Old 07-24-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Im sorry but jack lighting isnt allowed in alberta.

Just Manitoba then?
Old 07-24-2017, 03:02 PM

100% certainty that the indigenous supporter of the legislation banning the hunt won't be subject to it. Noooooo freakin' way natives are giving up any hunting rights.

NDP would ban taking the head and hide and only allow taking of meat???? So killing a bear is fine. It's just what you do with it after it's dead...
Old 07-24-2017, 03:24 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Just Manitoba then?
Since that decision: http://www.firstnationsdrum.com/2007...hunt-at-night/

The use of high intensity lights (jacklights) has exploded across most of Canada. It is prevalent in BC, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and many jurisdictions to the east. Perhaps not the intent of the SCC, it was and is nonetheless the end result. Very very few in the enforcement end of things will risk a charge outside of BC, and here, it will never happen. The SCC set the precedence. To challenge that is to send it to the exact same set of judges that already ruled in favor (thus establishing precedence anywhere that is attempted.) Sad but true. Do not for an instant believe this is not happening in Alberta. I know for a FACT it is, and being turned a blind eye to for certain parties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
100% certainty that the indigenous supporter of the legislation banning the hunt won't be subject to it. Noooooo freakin' way natives are giving up any hunting rights.
In fact, in the areas this fellow is calling for a ban in, there are FN outfitters offering grizzly hunts today...

Quote:
NDP would ban taking the head and hide and only allow taking of meat???? So killing a bear is fine. It's just what you do with it after it's dead...
Yeah, you're on it. Complete and utter nonsense. Oh well, NDP was in the same sentence, so it's not at all difficult to understand...
Let's hope we can be shed of them (much like Alberta may soon be) before they do too much damage!!

Cheers,
Nog
Old 07-24-2017, 04:08 PM

Default Ban the Grizzly Hunt

There are some really maddening first nations hunting escapades that clearly don't fit the definition of "subsistence." That's true, and should be addressed. I was really disappointed in the Supreme court of Canada for allowing night hunting, that's crazy to me. That said, I've personally seen a lot more poaching and poor hunting done by non FN people. Some posters on here do seem to have a stick up their butt about the first nations, and it doesn't read well from the outside. It's like continually posting stories on black crime or something, it starts to ring of racism more than anything else.

I'd also support banning the Grizzly hunt Canada wide, just can't see much justification for it today. Some of my buds do hunt grizzly bears, sometimes we just disagree. That's called democracy and even tolerance. I do think we as hunters need to ponder how we look to the rest of Alberta and Canada. Hunting grizzlies really doesn't help that image at all, nor does a lot of the ATV use I see. Let's get our own house looking good before we attack others... There is a surprising amount of support for hunting even among non-hunters out there, I'd hate to lose that. A grizzly by definition is a "trophy" hunt, and that puts us right in there with the Cecil-killers... Not where we want to be. Just my 25 cents worth, I'll put my flame resistant pants on now. Happy pre-season to all, it was kinda cold this morning...
Old 07-24-2017, 05:10 PM

Default Cool Heads

Guys, another thread was just closed because of heated rhetoric. This is an outdoors forum, and this is a real topic. Don't close the discussion because you let your keyboard fingers get carried away. Remember, members close threads through their posts. Mods just enforce rules.

So far so good for the most part. Carry on...

Last edited by sns2; 07-24-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansgunsghandi View Post
There are some really maddening first nations hunting escapades that clearly don't fit the definition of "subsistence." That's true, and should be addressed. I was really disappointed in the Supreme court of Canada for allowing night hunting, that's crazy to me. That said, I've personally seen a lot more poaching and poor hunting done by non FN people. Some posters on here do seem to have a stick up their butt about the first nations, and it doesn't read well from the outside. It's like continually posting stories on black crime or something, it starts to ring of racism more than anything else.

I'd also support banning the Grizzly hunt Canada wide, just can't see much justification for it today. Some of my buds do hunt grizzly bears, sometimes we just disagree. That's called democracy and even tolerance. I do think we as hunters need to ponder how we look to the rest of Alberta and Canada. Hunting grizzlies really doesn't help that image at all, nor does a lot of the ATV use I see. Let's get our own house looking good before we attack others... There is a surprising amount of support for hunting even among non-hunters out there, I'd hate to lose that. A grizzly by definition is a "trophy" hunt, and that puts us right in there with the Cecil-killers... Not where we want to be. Just my 25 cents worth, I'll put my flame resistant pants on now. Happy pre-season to all, it was kinda cold this morning...
OK, so you are you saying trophy hunting should be banned?
Old 07-24-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:

If we stop hunting any animal that is associated with trophy hunting, we will soon not be hunting big game at all. Most people hunt black bears and cougars for the hide, and the regulations even use "trophy bighorn" and "trophy pronghorn" as designations. From there it goes to antlered deer, elk and moose, and soon all hunting will be banned. So we either support all hunting that doesn't endanger the game populations, or we just give up on all hunting. And if it's wrong for ethical reasons to hunt big game, then it is wrong for all of us to hunt big game, regardless of race or religion.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:

"Puts us right in there with the Cecil-killers"
You need to research African Trophy hunting before you make any more erroneous assumptions .
The only people " right in there " is you yourself and anti hunters .
As far as trophy hunting bears goes , so what?
You don't like it?
Don't do it - period .
Cat
Old 07-24-2017, 06:35 PM

Default I was thinking the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
"Puts us right in there with the Cecil-killers"
You need to research African Trophy hunting before you make any more erroneous assumptions .
The only people " right in there " is you yourself and anti hunters .
As far as trophy hunting bears goes , so what?
You don't like it?
Don't do it - period .
Cat
If people don't want to trophy hunt they have that choice but as for his tolerance part, it's not very tolerant to support taking away trophy hunting bears for others just because you don't want to. Even your friends. That's Cold.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:36 PM
Banned

Arrow

https://omny.fm/shows/the-jon-mccomb...trophy-hunting

Very Much Worth a Listen!!

Cheers,
Nog
Old 07-25-2017, 07:15 AM

Ontario found how effective banning trophy bear hunt worked, became over run with black bears and major damage to ungulate population. bears gotta eat and love spring calves.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:26 PM
Banned

Arrow

Sustainability of the grizzly bear hunt in British Columbia, Canada: Sustainability of Grizzly Hunt

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...f_Grizzly_Hunt

The Science end of things...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 07-25-2017, 07:51 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Future of B.C.'s grizzly trophy hunt uncertain as fall hunt approaches

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ches-1.4220550
Old 07-25-2017, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Sustainability of the grizzly bear hunt in British Columbia, Canada: Sustainability of Grizzly Hunt

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...f_Grizzly_Hunt

The Science end of things...

Cheers,
Nog
Unfortunately it's not about the science...
Old 07-26-2017, 09:28 AM

Not to worry, a 1 seat majority government will not last more than a few months then common sense will prevail with the new ministry.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:04 PM

Default Grizzly Bears...

Catnthehat, you've been on here forever and I respect your view. What I said is that I support a ban on Grizzly hunting, as do most of the biologists and other people educated on the subject. That's the science. While I don't hunt black bears I don't have an opinion on the subject, and it's a different one to me.

The image perspective with grizzlies is different. Killing animals just to kill 'em does not look good to most people, and even to a lot of hunters like me. Killing a big animal like a grizzly bear is like shooting a lion--not a whole a lot of point to it unless the killing fires the person doing the shooting up. From the outside that doesn't look real defensible. Even if every permit and everything was legal for Cecil it's still shooting an animal just to shoot it, and unfortunately Cecil had reached semi-legend status. A well-fed dentist posing beside a half-tame lion in Africa doesn't impress me much. It sure didn't impress the world. Far from it, gave all of us who hunt a bad name by association. Pictures of people shooting grizzlies just to shoot them does not encourage a positive view of "hunting" either.

Shoot it and eat it works for most people. Shoot it just to shoot it, not so much. I've seen a lot of grizzlies in the wild over the years, shooting one just to kill it, well, seems like a real waste of something beautiful to me. I doubt I'll change anyone's view on the subject though. I support everyone's right to hunt within the law, and I support the Alberta Grizzly hunting ban and hope it goes Canada wide. Best of luck.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:17 PM

IMO, it is good for Grizzlies to have a healthy fear of Humans. I highly doubt Natives let Grizzlies hang out in there villages now or in the past. If the population can sustain the hunt I am all for it.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:20 PM

The lion wasn't tame and your opinion of trophy hunters is not shared by me me they grizzly hunters, cougar hunters or coyote and gopher hunters for that matter
Cat
Old 07-26-2017, 03:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Catnthehat, you've been on here forever and I respect your view. What I said is that I support a ban on Grizzly hunting, as do most of the biologists and other people educated on the subject. That's the science. While I don't hunt black bears I don't have an opinion on the subject, and it's a different one to me.

The image perspective with grizzlies is different. Killing animals just to kill 'em does not look good to most people, and even to a lot of hunters like me. Killing a big animal like a grizzly bear is like shooting a lion--not a whole a lot of point to it unless the killing fires the person doing the shooting up. From the outside that doesn't look real defensible. Even if every permit and everything was legal for Cecil it's still shooting an animal just to shoot it, and unfortunately Cecil had reached semi-legend status. A well-fed dentist posing beside a half-tame lion in Africa doesn't impress me much. It sure didn't impress the world. Far from it, gave all of us who hunt a bad name by association. Pictures of people shooting grizzlies just to shoot them does not encourage a positive view of "hunting" either.

Shoot it and eat it works for most people. Shoot it just to shoot it, not so much. I've seen a lot of grizzlies in the wild over the years, shooting one just to kill it, well, seems like a real waste of something beautiful to me. I doubt I'll change anyone's view on the subject though. I support everyone's right to hunt within the law, and I support the Alberta Grizzly hunting ban and hope it goes Canada wide. Best of luck.
Your attempt at justifying banning an activity based on public perception failed. You did not take into account that the public is misinformed, and the actual activity should not suffer because the public has an opinion based on their own emotions.