Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2017, 09:39 PM

Default Home Insurance Question For Hail

Just wondering if there are any members out there that work in the insurance industry?

We had a hail storm come through and there was some golf ball sized hail in it.

I'm just wondering if a person should be calling the insurance provider for an inspection?

There doesn't appear to be any damage to the siding, but I will need to look further tomorrow. Being that it is still raining and we have dark shingles, I can't get up on the roof to inspect the shingles, not to mention I'm not sure what kind of damage to look (punctures, scaring etc.?).

Just wondering what adjusters look for, and how much damage is needed for replacement? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:49 PM

If you say golf ball size you will have shingle damages, what kind of siding do you have. I would also get a second opinion as the insurance will try to short you, they don't like to pay out. I hope I never have your problem,
Old 07-23-2017, 09:50 PM

Check your eaves as well there probably dented

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post
Check your eaves as well there probably dented

Good point on the eaves troughs also the fascia flashing. On the shingles you see lots of pebbles on the ground, may have cracked the shingles
Old 07-23-2017, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
the insurance will try to short you, they don't like to pay out.
That has not been my experience at all. 5 times hailed on.
Different insurance companies.
Vehicles, facia, evestrough, shingles.
Called the insurance company. They took
a look. And all fixed up every time.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF & JF View Post
Just wondering if there are any members out there that work in the insurance industry?

We had a hail storm come through and there was some golf ball sized hail in it.

I'm just wondering if a person should be calling the insurance provider for an inspection?

There doesn't appear to be any damage to the siding, but I will need to look further tomorrow. Being that it is still raining and we have dark shingles, I can't get up on the roof to inspect the shingles, not to mention I'm not sure what kind of damage to look (punctures, scaring etc.?).

Just wondering what adjusters look for, and how much damage is needed for replacement? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Call your insurance company.
They will take a look at everything.
Things you might have missed.
Anything damaged will get fixed.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:47 PM
Banned

Default .

Don't call insurance co for inspection , they will tell you the cheapist , get a roofer to come out and check everthing , get a free estimate on everything in writing , a good company that did mine was expressions roofing , 3 French boys , excellent job , then call your insurance and show them your written estimate , don't let them tell you that you have to use there roofer either , you,ll be pleased with Expressions
Old 07-24-2017, 06:31 AM

As mentioned, you need to call your insurance company. They will send their prefered contractor out to have a look and do a qoute. Make sure you get a copy of this quote. Then it is your desicion to either use that contractor/quote or have as many of your own or other contractor's to come in and provide quotes. If it is less than the ins. co's contractors quote then you get to decide which contractor.

Not all ins. co contractors are bad. That wouldnt make sense, they wouldnt work for the insurance co. if they were.
Im not in the contractor business anymore, but if you need an estimate for siding, soffit, fascia, eavestrough, roofing PM me.

Last edited by meandmyboy; 07-24-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:36 AM

Insurance guys are getting greasier. Expect them to cover only one side of the house (wind blew in likely from the west thus the west facing side for siding, soffit, shingles) and they will pro-rate shingles based on how old they are (100% for 0-5 years, 50% for 5-10 years, and so forth).
Old 07-24-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Insurance guys are getting greasier. Expect them to cover only one side of the house (wind blew in likely from the west thus the west facing side for siding, soffit, shingles) and they will pro-rate shingles based on how old they are (100% for 0-5 years, 50% for 5-10 years, and so forth).

Had hail roll thru Redwater last year. It hit my moms house. The shingles were so old the they were curling and the eaves were full of asphalt. They replaced the shingles on the whole roof. Fascia and eaves. Didn't dick her around at all.