Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2017, 02:10 PM

I hope those subhumans that stood there and filmed it without doing anything to help, not even calling 911 die in a very painful preventable way.

Is that harsh? yes. Do they deserve that? yes.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:27 PM

I wonder if they pushed him in there or if he was trying to escape them.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I hope the law never can. I don't want to be held responsible for some other person's Darwinian moment. I may try to save an individual, but I don't want to be charged and have to defend myself if I judge it to be too dangerous or that I didn't realize they were actually in distress.
Um yhey clearly knew he was drowning. You know the whole you gunna die bit. Personally i think manslaughter or murder is what they should be charged with. And further more not even legaly morally howncould someone look on as another person dies when saving them was so simple.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
I hope the law never can. I don't want to be held responsible for some other person's Darwinian moment. I may try to save an individual, but I don't want to be charged and have to defend myself if I judge it to be too dangerous or that I didn't realize they were actually in distress.
I guess if you ever get yourself in a life threatening situation you better hope the bystanders don't think like you.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:49 PM
Banned

That is just sick! I bet these are the same people who complain when their feeling get hurt.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
It already does here in Canada. OHAS laws require you to intervene if you see someone's doing something stupid at work that could get themselves or someone else hurt or killed. If you don't you are personally liable for whatever happens. I can't remember the exact act but its been in force for quite a few years as I remember having a big meeting about it when it came into law.
OHS laws are for the workplace, not the general public arena. We're not required to help anyone, anywhere, any time.

Personally, I'd have called it in (obviously) but I wouldn't have gone in after him. I can barely swim myself and if I'd have gone in, they'd have had two bodies to pull out, not one.

They teach the same thing in H2S training - don't be a hero unless you're trained to be one. Wait for real help to arrive. Most H2S deaths are due to people trying to be a hero and go rescue someone, stupidly ignoring the danger that they're facing (ie, unsurvivable toxic gas).
Old 07-23-2017, 06:43 PM

Default They should have at least called 911. Yes that's wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
Lots of weird things in this story. The guy got to the middle of the pond with all his clothes on? and then wants help? I am not a great swimmer, and I have also been told that someone that is drowning can fight you to the point where they will take you with them if you are not properly trained in rescue. Authorities should have been called right away, no maybes here. I believe that the attitude of these boys is not limited to Florida, but here in Canada as well. I hate these snapshot stories that aren't giving the readers the before and after information on what is all going on.
When I was about thirteen I took my cousin swimming, not knowing he couldn't swim. I jumped in and he followed I got out a ways and looked back. He was going under and trying to yell, so I went to save him and he took me down and was to scared to let go, now I was drowning.
Thank god there was other people there as a guy pulled him off of me by his hair backwards, saved my but that day.
He would have killed me out of fear for his own life, just a natural panic instinct.
Moral of this story never just go strait in if they are conscious unless you have something in between you and them a stick or piece of two by four anything. Best thing if possible is something that floats.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:47 PM

Not calling it in shows depraved indifference. One does not have to perform a rescue themselves but they should at least contact emergency services so that the professionals can.

I think most people with a modest amount of common sense and human compassion would do something, but those traits seem to be entirely missing among the group of degenerates that were there.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:39 AM

[QUOTE=ganderblaster;3588494]
Quote:
I hope the law never can. I don't want to be held responsible for some other person's Darwinian moment. I may try to save an individual, but I don't want to be charged and have to defend myself if I judge it to be too dangerous or that I didn't realize they were actually in distress.[/QUOTE

Not sure how to respond to this one......
Maybe it's a question of interpretation and what is meant by "help". Requiring that someone phone 911 is fine, but I would never support any law that said I was liable if I didn't jump in the river and try to save someone who had just jumped off a bridge.