Old 07-01-2017, 02:47 PM

Default Hay price

What's hay worth a ton now days ?
Old 07-01-2017, 03:55 PM

Default hay

Saw an ad today for 2017 hay in Ponoka for 180.00/ton

Pretty early for prices just yet.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:37 PM

Lots of good hay in the fields, some already cut and baled and weather looks favorable. Betting on a price decline.

Grizz
Old 07-01-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Lots of good hay in the fields, some already cut and baled and weather looks favorable. Betting on a price decline.

Grizz

I'd be more inclined to think availability will dictate price.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
I'd be more inclined to think availability will dictate price.
Always gonna get ripped off, if you're an acreage owner near the big cities, but availability shouldn't be a problem.

Grizz
Old 07-02-2017, 09:17 AM

Default Hay

Drove through Lac St Ann area yesterday visiting on Canada Day. I saw hundreds of bales from last year crop sitting in fields making it tough to cut/bale this years crop. Some guys may have asked to high prices and got to keep their own old hay.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:30 AM

Good quality hay in the Lethbridge area seems to be selling for $7-$8/ 65lb small squares and $75-$80/ 1400lb rounds. Quite a bit of excellent quality first cut hay around this yr. Dairy hay growers are starting on their second cut already, a lot of first cut came off before the end of May
Old 07-02-2017, 01:09 PM

1st cut done we sold good heavy small squares at 5.00/per.
Works out to around 160 per ton.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:29 PM

Anyone ever rent out hay land on crop share? I've got alfalfa and iam considering going that route, seems to be a better deal for both parties. Good crop, more for both, bad crop, less for both.
Just not sure where to slice the pie, renter would be doing all the work.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:37 PM

70 renter 30 owner for crop share around here usually.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:45 PM
Banned

"Back in the day" the rule of thumb was 2/3's for the renter, 1/3 for the owner. It's been a while, so not sure if that still stands.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:49 PM

That's about what I was thinking, thanks.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:51 PM

60/40 here. That 40% pays the taxes.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:38 PM

50/50 on some wicked good pure alfalfa stands.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 07-02-2017, 03:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Always gonna get ripped off, if you're an acreage owner near the big cities, but availability shouldn't be a problem.

Grizz
I guess it's all relevant. no work or investment in land and machinery, buy your hay. you may think it's a ripoff.

Lots invested manually . mechanically, and financially, likely think you sell at a fair price.

Working on shares is a good plan sometimes. I've done it 50/50 on up to 70/30. I liked 50/50 best.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-02-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357xp View Post
Anyone ever rent out hay land on crop share? I've got alfalfa and iam considering going that route, seems to be a better deal for both parties. Good crop, more for both, bad crop, less for both.

Yeah, works well if the stars line up and you get a good crop, not so much if your partner doesn't work Sundays and pouring rain is forecast for Monday.

Grizz
Old 07-03-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah, works well if the stars line up and you get a good crop, not so much if your partner doesn't work Sundays and pouring rain is forecast for Monday.

Grizz
What kind of farmer doesn't work under those conditions?
I have no problem with religion unless its conveniently followed tenants affect my life or lively hood.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:05 PM
Banned

We knocked down a chitload already today. Looks like some decent weather windows ahead. Just grabbed some very late lunch and a beer. Back at it. Seems to be a real decent growth this year. I'm thinking we will average 4 bales an acre. Not the cute small ones either..LOL.

See what happens. Hay prices vary of course from area to area but I think who ever is in buying mode this year won't be to upset. We don't sell any as it is all consumed. Next year all cows are gone and the land will be rented out to our neighbor who wants to expand his herd. Silly him LOL.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:17 AM

Is any hay trading in Central AB? I want to sell some cow hay and wondering if $70/ton (3 1/2 cents/LB) is in the ball park.

Gerry Burnie
Old 07-22-2017, 12:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
What kind of farmer doesn't work under those conditions?
I have no problem with religion unless its conveniently followed tenants affect my life or lively hood.
Lot of Dutch Reformed folks where I grew up. Absolutley refused to work Sunday even if it meant all the hay down was going to get hard rained Monday. Guess God never told them to make hay while the sun shines. They did have a lot of kids though. At least they kept busy .
Old 07-22-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Lot of Dutch Reformed folks where I grew up. Absolutley refused to work Sunday even if it meant all the hay down was going to get hard rained Monday. Guess God never told them to make hay while the sun shines. They did have a lot of kids though. At least they kept busy .
Many of the Black Socks used to shut down their irrigation pumps at 11:59 PM Saturday and fire them back up at 12:01AM Monday. Us Christian Reformers were a bit more liberal.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357xp View Post
Around me the norm is 1/3 landowner 2/3 renter
Old 07-22-2017, 09:25 PM

Ya we did the 1/3 owner us, 2/3 farmer for a few years, but farmer was low balling us on the value of the big 6' rounds, we only got $10 ea.
So we are pasturing it now to another neighbor
Getting more for rent then we did on our best bale year.
Cows will be off by late Aug and some nice short grass should be there for hunting season.

TBark
Old 07-23-2017, 11:52 AM

Last year I let the neighbour cut hay on my land, in the Peace country. I did the 1/3(to me) and 2/3(to the neighbour) agreement. They were 7th day Adventist's. Don't work Saturday. It was a total joke, last year was tough with the wet coming starting in July, however lost a lot due to not working when should have been in the fields. A big portion of the hay was unsaleable. Wasn't the end of the world to me, impacted him more since it was his wasted time and equipment. I am working on getting everything refreshed with new alfalfa. It has taken three years to clean the place up and get it productive again (11 quarters). It costs a lot of money to turn a hay field over and replant properly. Around here there is no production the first year, and only one cut per season. I personally would not go 1/3 -2/3 on a good alfalfa field, too much work and money is done to get a quality stand. As far as buying hay, from the prices I have seen, it is cheap and farmers are short changing themselves. As usual! Some people will bale anything and I don't see a lot of price differentiation between quality forage and poor grass hay, let alone details like handling leaf loss etc.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
Last year I let the neighbour cut hay on my land, in the Peace country. I did the 1/3(to me) and 2/3(to the neighbour) agreement. They were 7th day Adventist's. Don't work Saturday. It was a total joke, last year was tough with the wet coming starting in July, however lost a lot due to not working when should have been in the fields. A big portion of the hay was unsaleable. Wasn't the end of the world to me, impacted him more since it was his wasted time and equipment. I am working on getting everything refreshed with new alfalfa. It has taken three years to clean the place up and get it productive again (11 quarters). It costs a lot of money to turn a hay field over and replant properly. Around here there is no production the first year, and only one cut per season. I personally would not go 1/3 -2/3 on a good alfalfa field, too much work and money is done to get a quality stand. As far as buying hay, from the prices I have seen, it is cheap and farmers are short changing themselves. As usual! Some people will bale anything and I don't see a lot of price differentiation between quality forage and poor grass hay, let alone details like handling leaf loss etc.
We need a like button!

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 07-23-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
We need a like button!

The fellow hit the nail squarely on the head with that post.