Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2017, 09:08 PM

Default Dog barking

Question for some of the dog experts on here.

I recently moved into a pet friendly apartment complex with my 2.5 year old heeler. As of late we have had problems with my dog barking when I leave or when other dogs walk by outside. I know as a heeler they become attached to one person and I am definitely it and he is really attached to me so some of it is separation anxiety. We purchased a machine that emits a high frequency sound when it detects a bark and it worked for about two months but it no longer works for him.
Any recommendations for helping with the dog barking?
Would muzzling him during the day prevent barking?

Thank you,
Old 07-20-2017, 09:10 PM

Good to see you're concerned about it, as others wouldn't be.

A friend used one of those bark collars. He used it when he was home too so that he figured out it was inappropriate to do it in the house at all except when he went to bed. If someone knocked on the door at night it would go ape.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:19 PM

Just want to try my best to limit his barking, he was never trained to not bark as we had him on the farm but now that we are here I don't want to be that person with that dog..
Old 07-20-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneckin View Post
Good to see you're concerned about it, as others wouldn't be.

A friend used one of those bark collars. He used it when he was home too so that he figured out it was inappropriate to do it in the house at all except when he went to bed. If someone knocked on the door at night it would go ape.
My dogs the same way, as a heeler they are VERYY protective over myself and his home.

Was the collar a shocker? If so did he have lasting results?
Old 07-20-2017, 09:24 PM

Heeler is a high intensity, active dog. Why would you have one in an apartment ?

Grizz
Old 07-20-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Heeler is a high intensity, active dog. Why would you have one in an apartment ?

Grizz
We lost our property two years ago in the downturn.

Even in the city this dog gets minimum 45 minutes of high intensity exercise per day, so physical activity isn't the issue I don't think.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:29 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
Yeah just toss him off the balcony. he'll stop barking.

Google this BarkLimiter and BarkLimiter Deluxe. I have this built into my e collar for training. Works great. After the initial one or two days the collar doesn't even need to be turned on for my dog to limit his barking. He does not wear it all the time. Good units. Check out the features and don't cheap out on the ones for 49 bux etc. Get a decent one and solve the problem.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-20-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Yeah just toss him off the balcony. he'll stop barking.

Google this BarkLimiter and BarkLimiter Deluxe. I have this built into my e collar for training. Works great. After the initial one or two days the collar doesn't even need to be turned on for my dog to limit his barking. He does not wear it all the time. Good units. Check out the features and don't cheap out on the ones for 49 bux etc. Get a decent one and solve the problem.
Thanks for the post frog.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:46 PM

Could possibly be a territorial thing. My dog (14 month old Lab/Husky) occasionally barks at other dogs that walk by the house. Always seems to be larger dogs, never smaller dogs. When he is in the house he gets in trouble. However when he is in the back yard I allow it.

If a person enters my back yard I allow him to bark. As soon as he recognizes the person he stops and he will lick them to death. I have never had anyone enter my backyard that I did not know. If there were such an occurrence I doubt he would let them enter without letting us know. He is getting much better with knowing when and where he is allowed to bark but it did take some time.

I have found a lot of good information in books written by Caesar Millan. He has the show called Caesar 911. Very good information. Hope this helps.

DR
Old 07-20-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
My dogs the same way, as a heeler they are VERYY protective over myself and his home.

Was the collar a shocker? If so did he have lasting results?
Pretty much what redfrog said to the T

Good luck man
Old 07-21-2017, 10:58 AM

Default Try

Tried citronellal collar on mine. He just smelled good and no mosquitoes lol. Have an ecollar now with bark limiter. Works great. Garmin sport dog
Old 07-21-2017, 11:48 AM
Banned

I have a walker/redbone hound and she barks everytime somebody walks by the house with another dog. Got a complaint from the city so I got a shock collar. It a Bark Terminator from High Tech Pet. It has a high pitched tone at first then a tingly shock, after that it ramps up but only for 20 seconds. 30 seconds off and then starts again. I used it for 2 days and now I leave it turned off when I strap it on her. She`s a dummy, can`t tell the difference, although the high pitch tone is still enabled. Works like a hot damn. By the way, I tried it on myself first ,not so bad, just a shut the hell up reminder. Tried to put it on the wife, after I came to I rethought that.
145$ at Top Crop.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:24 PM

Ended up purchasing the garmin barklimiter deluxe off amazon. Gona give it a shot next week when it arrives.
As for the citronella collar, I had one of those as well but the dog somehow got it off and chewed it to death haha.
Thank you everyone for the input.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:10 PM
Banned

Hope it works as well as mine, I`ll tell you, what a relief it is to me and everyone around.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:25 PM

Geezers remember this? Do you remember the caption?

I'm kidding.....
Old 07-21-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Hope it works as well as mine, I`ll tell you, what a relief it is to me and everyone around.
For me it's not so much of he's totally out of control I just want to limit it as much as I can because when he starts barking the other 500 mutts in the building start barking too, it's like the domino effect.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:24 PM

We had problems with our old neighbors wife barking but the dog was fine. Fixed when they divorced and she moved away.

I wish she had a shock collar.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-21-2017, 02:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
For me it's not so much of he's totally out of control I just want to limit it as much as I can because when he starts barking the other 500 mutts in the building start barking too, it's like the domino effect.
Yeah, I have 5 other folks around the block here with hounds, once Tick sets them off it`s like all I need is a banjo. And ear plugs. She`s great now, think I`ll keep her.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

I'm kidding.....
Times have sure changed. There'd be hell to pay for that one, today. But then there's Vacation, where granny leaves the dog tied to her car, Nothing left but the collar.

Grizz
Old 07-21-2017, 07:44 PM

Takes some training but I think this would help.

Set it up so that you know the dog will bark and leave the apartment. Let the dog bark until he stops. This could take some time so do it when you dont have to be anywhere. Once the dog stops and quiets down re-enter the apartment pet him and give him a treat. Stay a bit then repeat the exercise. Do this for a few days and the dog should eventually stop barking(helping the separation anxiety) when you leave.

As for barking at other dogs, he doesn't see you as leader. Work on obedience with him and when you walk him he should walk beside or behind you. Also dont allow him on your couches or any high spots where he can perch and show his dominance. Also good to make him sit before going through any doors and he should follow you through not lead.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Takes some training but I think this would help.

Set it up so that you know the dog will bark and leave the apartment. Let the dog bark until he stops. This could take some time so do it when you dont have to be anywhere. Once the dog stops and quiets down re-enter the apartment pet him and give him a treat. Stay a bit then repeat the exercise. Do this for a few days and the dog should eventually stop barking(helping the separation anxiety) when you leave.

As for barking at other dogs, he doesn't see you as leader. Work on obedience with him and when you walk him he should walk beside or behind you. Also dont allow him on your couches or any high spots where he can perch and show his dominance. Also good to make him sit before going through any doors and he should follow you through not lead.
In the mean time make sure you treat the neighbours to lots of free booze while this training is going on. Redfrog's idea is best.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 07-21-2017, 08:08 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear you lost your farm. That sucks.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:17 PM
Banned

Default .

Dogs bark , that's what they do , we just don't understand what their saying

Also whats with this crap about verification , forums going downhill
Old 07-21-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
In the mean time make sure you treat the neighbours to lots of free booze while this training is going on. Redfrog's idea is best.
It usually doesn't take that long. Do it during the week mid day and it shouldn't bother to many people. Do you want to solve the problem or put a bandaid on it in the form of electronic bark collar?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:00 PM
Banned

You might have to give up your heeler to a family on an acreage or farm for all to be happy. Sounds as though unfortunately due to circumstances, none of you will be happy in the long term. It'll hurt your feelings, but give up the dog to a good acreage or farm family for the best of both of you. How old is your dog? I might take him/her. I love heelers, I've had two.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:

I'm kidding.....
Sometimes, I'm impressed with your posts Oky. But this one has me re-considering.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by billhunter View Post
Dogs bark , that's what they do , we just don't understand what their saying
Actually I do. My dog barks to go out to the run, she barks differently when it`s all three of them wanting out. Has one ashead annoying bark for dog walkers who let there dogs poop on my lawn and another for when a deer or a bear is in my yard. I got up at 5:30 this morning having a coffee and she did the quiet deer bark, paint balled me a big 4x4 mulie buck eating my apple tree.
Just got to pay attention to what they say. Dogs ain`t stupid.
And, NOBODY sneaks up on me and mine.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:

I'm kidding.....
I'm recalling the title as "
Buy this magazine or we'll kill this dog", now I'll look it up to see how close I am.

Ahh, the exact quote is "If you don't buy this magazine, we'll kill this dog". I was just a wee lad when that issue came out though, but I still saw it in the mid 1980's.

Also, what's with the new member with 4 posts going off complaining about the forum going downhill because of some verification requirement? Keep an account in good standing and one doesn't get peppered with such things. I guess returning banned formers members might have issues though......

Last edited by CaberTosser; 07-23-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:05 AM

Currently using the sport dog rechargeable bark collar.

http://www.collarclinic.com/product/SBC10R.html
Old 07-23-2017, 06:39 PM

squeeze lemon bulbs. EVERYTIME they bark, open up mouth and give em a squirt.
its never failed me yet.