Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2017, 08:43 AM

Default Question regarding fire bans

How does a person who is out camping for a week with no cell phone service keep up-to-date with fire ban restrictions? I suppose you could probably get it on the radio, but what if you had no radio either?
Old 07-23-2017, 09:00 AM

Send a text to someone to let you know about fire bans and weather forecasts with an InReach GPS/text device. If you spend lots of time in the back country and you like to bleed money, a satellite phone might do the trick.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:10 AM

Default Fireban

Unless you get at least one full day of steady rain, don't expect a fire ban to be lifted.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
Unless you get at least one full day of steady rain, don't expect a fire ban to be lifted.
Probably more like a week of steady rain before a fire ban is lifted.

We had one wet day here on the Island last week. Not even a heavy steady rain. Quite a number of burning complaints to deal with since the wet day. What people don't realize is that even one day of wet weather will not soak into the ground enough to make a difference.

Despite all the publicity about the burn bans in B.C., ie: radio, television, newspaper, and social media, we still hear the excuse "I didn't know you couldn't burn".

Mr. Conservation
Old 07-23-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runewolf1973 View Post
How does a person who is out camping for a week with no cell phone service keep up-to-date with fire ban restrictions? I suppose you could probably get it on the radio, but what if you had no radio either?
If you don't know what the restrictions are use your discretion. If you think it's to dry, windy, hot for a fire, don't light one even if there isn't a fire ban. One must use their common sense and pay attention to fire safety and conditions where your at. Just because the radio may say there is no fire ban doesn't mean you should light one up if the conditions where you're at are prime for wildfire should a spark get away.

Really we shouldn't have to have fire bans if people used common sense. Relying on a radio/tv/internet/phone from 2 or 20 or 200 miles away to tell us if it is or isn't safe to have a fire where you or I am camped instead of using our common sense is asking for trouble.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:47 AM

Common sense, if in doubt, no fire.

Grizz
Old 07-23-2017, 11:12 AM

If you don't know what the restrictions are, find out!

Ignorance is no excuse.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-23-2017, 11:27 AM

Might want to find some backcountry that isn't so dry to camp in.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Common sense, if in doubt, no fire.

Grizz
seems obvious .
Old 07-23-2017, 12:05 PM
Banned

I'm not informed about Alberta burning bans,

But for BC , ALL open burning is Prohibited until at the very least October,

And that is Province wide , all Crown Lands

First ticket $1100 ,

That's one very expensive weeni-roast
Old 07-23-2017, 04:11 PM

If it wasn't for the fact that we were camping in the same campground as family, me and wife wouldn't have known about the fire ban south of Hwy 532 until 2 days after it was put in place, and would've kept having fires.

The CO which drove through Thursday morning didn't leave any notices anywhere in the campground and only talked to my father because he was having a fire that morning. He didn't say anything to the 2 people camped in the next site who were just sitting at their table.... Almost every campsite were having fires Thursday night - except for us obviously.

He came back Friday afternoon to put up ONE sign in the campground, near the entrance... But even still, if you are already camped and happened to be napping, or went for a walk away from the entrance, etc, you wouldn't see the one sign.

And before I get jumped on, it's not like the CO drove through a couple times a day and we were bound to run in/talk to them. We'd MAYBE see him or her once every 2 or 3 days.

I'm not sure if campers further south on 940 (closer to the Ranger station) were made better aware or not, but it seems strange that CO's don't leave notices on vehicles or on site posts, etc, indicating a fire ban. And it also seems dumb they don't post notices on the registration box or washrooms.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:46 PM

Those are good ideas MoFugger21.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runewolf1973 View Post
just like knowing the regs for hunting or fishing, it is your responsibility to know of fire bans.

but if it really comes down to it and you can't find out, as long as you know you are doing it safely, start a fire and there will often be a forestry chopper or plane that flies overhead to see the source of the smoke if there is any degree of fire hazard. if this happens put it out! this is last resort and if there is a ban they just caught you breaking the law.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
If it wasn't for the fact that we were camping in the same campground as family, me and wife wouldn't have known about the fire ban south of Hwy 532 until 2 days after it was put in place, and would've kept having fires.

The CO which drove through Thursday morning didn't leave any notices anywhere in the campground and only talked to my father because he was having a fire that morning. He didn't say anything to the 2 people camped in the next site who were just sitting at their table.... Almost every campsite were having fires Thursday night - except for us obviously.

He came back Friday afternoon to put up ONE sign in the campground, near the entrance... But even still, if you are already camped and happened to be napping, or went for a walk away from the entrance, etc, you wouldn't see the one sign.

And before I get jumped on, it's not like the CO drove through a couple times a day and we were bound to run in/talk to them. We'd MAYBE see him or her once every 2 or 3 days.

I'm not sure if campers further south on 940 (closer to the Ranger station) were made better aware or not, but it seems strange that CO's don't leave notices on vehicles or on site posts, etc, indicating a fire ban. And it also seems dumb they don't post notices on the registration box or washrooms.
We camped on Dutch Creek last weekend and there was lots of CO presence all weekend. Saw their truck at least 3 times a day just from our camp spot.
We drove in through Maycroft and then north at the T intersection then past the ranger station all the way deep on the dutch creek road and we must have passed at least 5 signs. The ranger station even had a road side tent popped with fire ban information and more CO's just standing there answering questions. Also saw helicopters flying around couple times a day, with 3 positioned at the ranger station heli pad.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
seems obvious .
Unfortunately common sense isn't commonly practiced.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:06 PM
Banned

This years link,before you leave check it.

https://albertafirebans.ca/
Old 07-27-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman93 View Post
just like knowing the regs for hunting or fishing, it is your responsibility to know of fire bans.

but if it really comes down to it and you can't find out, as long as you know you are doing it safely, start a fire and there will often be a forestry chopper or plane that flies overhead to see the source of the smoke if there is any degree of fire hazard. if this happens put it out! this is last resort and if there is a ban they just caught you breaking the law.
But I mean really, would it hurt for you to just post a sign saying I can't do something. I mean how am I supposed to know if there isn't a sign with neon lights stating the fact I cant do something at this location?????
Old 07-27-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Conservation View Post
Probably more like a week of steady rain before a fire ban is lifted.

We had one wet day here on the Island last week. Not even a heavy steady rain. Quite a number of burning complaints to deal with since the wet day. What people don't realize is that even one day of wet weather will not soak into the ground enough to make a difference.

Despite all the publicity about the burn bans in B.C., ie: radio, television, newspaper, and social media, we still hear the excuse "I didn't know you couldn't burn".

Mr. Conservation
It's like every time someone leaves a baby locked in a car with the windows up in the heat. They didn't know that was a bad thing to do...
Old 07-27-2017, 09:28 PM

If you are so far out you can't hear about a fire ban, the chances of you getting told no are slim to none, realistically.

I asked the same question in regards to me being out on my gold claim, the answer was grey to say the least, as I am allowed open burning of trash under the mines act to deter animals from my camp/area. I would do the burns early with a screen, while the dew was still on leaves, then douse the area with water.

Of course, it's the people careless that cause us this grief.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless_84 View Post
Unfortunately common sense isn't commonly practiced.
Truly....duhhhh! Do you really need someone else or some weather App to tell you that situations are dire?
Old 07-28-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Truly....duhhhh! Do you really need someone else or some weather App to tell you that situations are dire?
Apparently there is a lot of so called 'outdoorsmen' who do.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:43 PM

albertafirebans.ca

And if you are posting on AO, you already know that everything from Calgary south (and soon to be Hinton south) is on a full out blitz to keep fires under control and out. When we were in Castle last week, there was a helicopter overhead twice a day and the CO's were doing their jobs informing everyone they saw.

Realistically, the common sense factor should come into play but as previously stated, it's not so common. If you can't walk on the grass with bare feet because it's so crunchy that it hurts your toes, more than likely having a fire is a very bad idea....

When in doubt, asking the CO or neighbour is a far better (and cheaper - $287 fine) option than having that marshmellow lit on fire just to blow it out.

J.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:51 PM

If a fire ban came on while you were out camping in a area with no cell service I really dont think anyone would give you a ticket but if they did you wouldnt even need a lawyer to get off.
I guess common sence dosnt go a long way.....
Old 07-28-2017, 12:53 PM

My take would be if I head out in the backwoods and know there is a fireban and little to no rain happens....You must know that a fire ban is not going to be lifted.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:02 PM

There is major CO presence in high traffic areas. Any main road leading into the bush has signage indicating such bans. Ignorance will not help a person.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:06 PM

Please remember this was a hypothetical question. Ive seen fire bans on with a foot of snow on the ground. Weather the ground is dry or not wasnt the question.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:11 PM

When you are camping in the campgrounds along 940 (Racehorse, Dutch, Oldman, Livingstone - none of which have cell service......) I don't think it's unreasonable to think some sort of notice would posted INSIDE the campground (or have a CO stop and talk to everyone) almost immediately when a fire restriction goes to a fire ban.

Sure, down by Dutch (where the Ranger station is located...) the CO's had a heavy presence, but at Livingstone we could have continued to have fires until Friday afternoon (fire ban came into effect Wed afternoon) and not known the ban was in place because the CO goes through maybe once every couple of days.

We had been camping there for over a week already, so it's not as though we'd run into "checkstop" or roadside sign.... Sure we have a AM/FM radio, but it's not on 24/7 and they weren't broadcasting the fire ban south of 532 on Calgary stations every few minutes...

Tell me, where is my common sense lacking or how am I not as much of an 'outdoorsman' as some you apparently are, simply by thinking a posted notice would be appropriate? Good grief.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
When you are camping in the campgrounds along 940 (Racehorse, Dutch, Oldman, Livingstone - none of which have cell service......) I don't think it's unreasonable to think some sort of notice would posted INSIDE the campground (or have a CO stop and talk to everyone) almost immediately when a fire restriction goes to a fire ban.

Sure, down by Dutch (where the Ranger station is located...) the CO's had a heavy presence, but at Livingstone we could have continued to have fires until Friday afternoon (fire ban came into effect Wed afternoon) and not known the ban was in place because the CO goes through maybe once every couple of days.

We had been camping there for over a week already, so it's not as though we'd run into "checkstop" or roadside sign.... Sure we have a AM/FM radio, but it's not on 24/7 and they weren't broadcasting the fire ban south of 532 on Calgary stations every few minutes...

Tell me, where is my common sense lacking or how am I not as much of an 'outdoorsman' as some you apparently are, simply by thinking a posted notice would be appropriate? Good grief.
Bingo!!
Its funny how people throw the word "common sence" around......
Old 07-28-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:

Sure it would be nice if signs were posted everywhere but do you really need to be told when a fire is appropriate? If you have been camping for a week out of communication range it is your duty to pay attention to your surroundings and use common sense as to whether or not it is smart have a fire. If it was dry when you got there and you have had hot dry or windy weather with little or no rain for a week it's probably not a good idea. Think about it. If you have to be told whether it is appropriate or safe to have a fire your probably not very woods wise. Even if there is no fire ban order in place doesn't always mean a fire is a good idea. Every area and situation is different, a smart camper will asses the current condition where he is at and realize it might not be a good idea to have a fire regardless of whether there is or isn't a ban.

As an example currently there is no fire ban within 100 miles of here, but there are some areas that are very dry and it would be extremely stupid and risky to build a fire. One must use their head. I would feel extremely stupid if I had to rely on the gov't to tell me whether I should have a fire or not. The gov't isn't where I may camp, probably hasn't been there for years, isn't likely to show up and has no idea what the current condition is there. We are all responsible for our actions, use common sense, always err on the side of caution.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Sure it would be nice if signs were posted everywhere but do you really need to be told when a fire is appropriate? If you have been camping for a week out of communication range it is your duty to pay attention to your surroundings and use common sense as to whether or not it is smart have a fire. If it was dry when you got there and you have had hot dry or windy weather with little or no rain for a week it's probably not a good idea. Think about it. If you have to be told whether it is appropriate or safe to have a fire your probably not very woods wise. Even if there is no fire ban order in place doesn't always mean a fire is a good idea. Every area and situation is different, a smart camper will asses the current condition where he is at and realize it might not be a good idea to have a fire regardless of whether there is or isn't a ban.

As an example currently there is no fire ban within 100 miles of here, but there are some areas that are very dry and it would be extremely stupid and risky to build a fire. One must use their head. I would feel extremely stupid if I had to rely on the gov't to tell me whether I should have a fire or not. The gov't isn't where I may camp, probably hasn't been there for years, isn't likely to show up and has no idea what the current condition is there. We are all responsible for our actions, use common sense, always err on the side of caution.
Weird, I don't remember seeing you in the campground last week....

You make it sound like we were out in the middle of the woods, camping off-road and the grass was drier than a popcorn fart... Completely different scenarios, bud.