Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2017, 08:42 AM

Default Grizzly Struble Lake/Prairie Creek Area

There is a couple of Grizzlies hanging around and causing some havoc south of Struble and along Prairie Creek. There has been a couple of cows taken and I personally encountered a large male which was more than just a little inquisitive.

I heard from a reliable source that there is a Sow with 2 cubs hanging just west and south of Stuble and the Boar I encountered is just down stream on Prairie Creek. I will be avoiding the area personally but if you do venture out please use extreme caution.

A little more info here http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=325653
Old 07-19-2017, 08:59 AM
Banned

Good to know... thanks MK2750
Old 07-19-2017, 02:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
There is a couple of Grizzlies hanging around and causing some havoc south of Struble and along Prairie Creek. There has been a couple of cows taken and I personally encountered a large male which was more than just a little inquisitive.

I heard from a reliable source that there is a Sow with 2 cubs hanging just west and south of Stuble and the Boar I encountered is just down stream on Prairie Creek. I will be avoiding the area personally but if you do venture out please use extreme caution.

A little more info here http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=325653
Can you confirm that two cows were killed as per the other thread? There are always bears in the area and rumors of them killing livestock are not productive.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:17 PM

haven't seen any warnings about these bears in the area?
Old 07-21-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makin tracks View Post
haven't seen any warnings about these bears in the area?
We have Bearsmart advisories in our county. Something similar there ?

Grizz
Old 07-21-2017, 05:24 PM

Believe what you want guys. I gave you good advice about an aggressive animal. If you want another type of advice there is plenty of that on here as well.

I'm done here but if any one would like to go to a trail head with bloody drag marks heading up into the thick brush I will take you that far. You can investigate the area on your own. I am not sure you will get permission after calling the farmer a liar but what do I know.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Believe what you want guys. I gave you good advice about an aggressive animal. If you want another type of advice there is plenty of that on here as well.

I'm done here but if any one would like to go to a trail head with bloody drag marks heading up into the thick brush I will take you that far. You can investigate the area on your own. I am not sure you will get permission after calling the farmer a liar but what do I know.
Hey, you can only give so much advice, always someone who chooses to ignore it, bears get to chew on some one that way.

Grizz
Old 07-21-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:

don't doubt you at all, just asking a question, don't take everything so personal.
was wondering why there are no notice signs to the danger in the area.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:47 PM

When a grizz killed a cow on the north ram F&W posted a sign on the trail in the immediate area of the kill, not at the trail head a couple of k's away.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:35 AM

now that sounds like a novel idea, placing warning sign as you walk ointo danger! a sign at trail head would likely help some.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaha Tinda View Post
When a grizz killed a cow on the north ram F&W posted a sign on the trail in the immediate area of the kill, not at the trail head a couple of k's away.

Signs are a two edged sword, warn the careful and tempt the stupid, who just have to see that bear.

Grizz
Old 07-22-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makin tracks View Post
was wondering why there are no notice signs to the danger in the area.
They didn't put up any signs at Harold Creek either, even though there was actually someone attacked by a bear that then stayed in the area, while Picklejar stayed closed for weeks and had signs all over the place after the attack.
Makes you wonder. Went up YHT Ranch for hiking, there are signs all over the place even though there were just sightings and no incident, those guys do a good job imo on keeping people posted about bears.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagehunter View Post
They didn't put up any signs at Harold Creek either, even though there was actually someone attacked by a bear that then stayed in the area, while Picklejar stayed closed for weeks and had signs all over the place after the attack.
Makes you wonder. Went up YHT Ranch for hiking, there are signs all over the place even though there were just sightings and no incident, those guys do a good job imo on keeping people posted about bears.
Ya Ha is run by Parks Canada, different standards. Bears there are just normal.

Grizz
Old 07-22-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Signs are a two edged sword, warn the careful and tempt the stupid, who just have to see that bear.

Grizz
You'll never be able to fix stupid, but you can prevent someone who isn't aware from being a casualty in a bear attack.

What's it take to put up a couple of signs?

BW
Old 07-22-2017, 04:35 PM

no idea! but i would think to warn someone there is bear activity and have them go somewhere else is a positive thing, if the i want to see the bear type get attacked that is there choice. plus one less tool on the trail!

we all win.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:37 PM

The signs were along the road up to the ranch at Eagle Lake campground already.
Just a little laminated note telling people to be aware of the bear, I think they're good reminders to pay extra attention or turn around when in doubt. I know bears can show up everywhere, but still knowing one is around so you can avoid an area is a good way to avoid trouble. Not everyone is on outdoor forums or social media where updates get posted.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:33 PM

People worry about bears way too much and if you do encounter one just hit them in the nose or do the following . Either way you have a chance !