Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-26-2017, 01:40 PM

Default Turkeys in central/north Alberta?

Just wondering how far north turkeys range in Alberta? A coworker showed me a pic taken near Bonnyville of what appeared to be wild turkeys, in an area that doesn't seem to suggest they escaped from a nearby residence. I've never heard of them anywhere near here, but I raised some of my own eastern wild's this year and they certainly are capable of withstanding the cold. They can go in and out of the barn, but even at -25C often chose to roost in the outside run. My chickens wanted no part of that! It would be great if they expanded their range up this way. Any idea's on why they haven't? Was thinking maybe too much snow or too many predators, but is it really that much different in southern Alberta?
Old 03-26-2017, 03:25 PM

I'm guessing there are none(or very few?) only because they are not native to northern Alberta,but no doubt they would thrive if introduced imho based on similar climates in North America where they do well.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:20 PM

It is my understanding, wild turkeys need a source of open water through the winter.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:04 PM

someone brought them in from the states years ago and transplanted them in the cypress hills, south of Elkwater for personal hunting and holiday feasts. They have thrived in those conditions, and there are alot of birds on the Saskatchewan side of the hills and in sanctuary of the provincial parks.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:09 PM

I saw one at North Buck Lake last summer. Been going there for 20yrs and that was a first. Far and few between but the odd one is around I guess
Old 03-27-2017, 09:33 PM

They have a stable enough population in Manitoba to have a season. They've increased their numbers surprisingly well since they were stocked. If they can thrive there they should be able to survive just about anywhere in Alberta.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Merriam's or wild turkeys are native North American birds, but Alberta is well beyond their natural range.
Successful introduction of this species has been made to the Cypress Hills and Porcupine Hills in southern Alberta.
http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...ms-turkey.aspx
Old 03-28-2017, 07:24 AM

I'm guessing that it's one of those things like biologists say like, "raccoons can't possibly live that far north" or "Ravens can't possibly live that far south." All it takes is some experimentation to see if there's success or failure with introduction of a non-native species and whether it competes with, or eliminates a similar native species. Look at Calgary; with grey and black squirrels. Some escaped from the Calgary Zoo; and they've provided direct competition with the red squirrel in the region.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:44 AM

You are correct. The province established populations in these ranges.

However, I believe that individuals and other organizations tried introducing these birds into other areas of Alberta, but similar to 'wild boar' stable populations to justify a 'season' have not been established in recent years.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:46 AM

Default quarley hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Tradegunner View Post
I'm guessing that it's one of those things like biologists say like, "raccoons can't possibly live that far north" or "Ravens can't possibly live that far south." All it takes is some experimentation to see if there's success or failure with introduction of a non-native species and whether it competes with, or eliminates a similar native species. Look at Calgary; with grey and black squirrels. Some escaped from the Calgary Zoo; and they've provided direct competition with the red squirrel in the region.
Some black squirrels actually were transported as 'hitch hikers' on trains from Vancouver. Similar to how weeds like Leafy Spurge are found along the train tracks throughout our province as well.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:12 AM

ive seen plenty just west of turner valley as recently as this past fall. Not just 1 individual....flocks of toms, hens and gobblers.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crblair View Post
I saw one at North Buck Lake last summer. Been going there for 20yrs and that was a first. Far and few between but the odd one is around I guess
I saw them at North Buck last year too, end of August one of them had a brood of 6-8 little ones running behind her. It was an unusual site in my experiences.

I promote environmental conservation.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:23 PM

Know of guys who saw some a decade ago near Bonnyville. They are domesticated wild turkeys that have been released into the wild, similar to pheasants at a release site except these were done illegally.

Easterns and even merriams are hearty enough for most areas of the fringe and prairies in Alberta. They do fine in Ontario and Quebec (and Manitoba) where they see a lot more annual snow fall. Birds need good roosting habitat and that is where I feel Alberta severly lacks.

This picture in the link is not a merriam by the way...
http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...ms-turkey.aspx

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthrea...t=south+dakota
Old 03-29-2017, 06:03 PM

I saw two together in 522 4 or 5 years ago. They looked exactly like the ones I saw in Ontario countless times. I was really surprised, to say the least and was told by non believers that it wasn't turkeys that I saw, but I know exactly what they were and they were turkeys. I haven't seen any before or since.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:04 PM
Gone Hunting

Someone who lived in the Owl River area raised a bunch of Merriams about 10 yrs. ago and turned them loose. We would see groups of 6-8 in the jackpines on the Old Conklin Road going up to buddy's cabin regularly, until someone thought that they would all be better off in a roaster. One gobbler would chase the pick up like a farm dog, pecking at the rear wheels. It was really amusing to see.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:19 PM

Let's pretend:

https://www.facebook.com/yourhunting...9824288903150/
Old 04-08-2017, 02:21 PM

My back yard on 07 Apr....

Old 04-09-2017, 01:54 AM

Default Out near entwistle 2014

By my buddy's acreage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6544.jpg (85.7 KB, 127 views)
Old 04-09-2017, 05:47 AM

I saw a hen and a jake North of Drayton Valley on Hwy 22 in September 2013. They appeared to be Merriam's.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:27 AM

I saw several birds on the Derrick Club's fairway one winter. The year before they added the solid fence. I spend fair bit of time hiking in the ravine. Good habitat and thick enough in to keep a big cats and a black bear around but I have never seen any other sign of turkeys since that spotting. I am wondering if they were escapees.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:44 PM

I am not sure if the Merriam's would do well in the northern part of the province but the Eastern turkeys would probably do well if introduced. They winter just fine in Northern Ontario and Michigan. Good roosting habitat might limit their widespread expansion but hard to say, most river valleys would have what they need.
Of course it would be fun to have a decent population to hunt, lots of fun and good eating bird.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:00 PM

Seen these guys today by the battle river today. First time I've ever seen what I'm assuming are wild turkeys. Anyone know anything about them around here?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2017, 02:31 PM

I've heard them in 318 near Burntstick and seen footy-prints that look like turkey tracks but never saw a bird.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey50BMG View Post
I saw a hen and a jake North of Drayton Valley on Hwy 22 in September 2013. They appeared to be Merriam's.
Those have been there for years. The person that owned them let them run all over. Often seen along the highway there. Haven't seen them in a couple years, I heard the people living there don't have them anymore.